Sign in to follow this  
A.S.

Stop worrying about amps says Alan Shaw from Harbeth

I personally feel the first post needs to be made far far clearer that its not a posting by Alan Shaw especially as it ends signed off by Alan Shaw. Also we have to remember it was posted on the Harbeth Forum so this cut and paste(I assume un-edited) takes it out of context. Perhaps changing it to a link to the original posting is a better approach.

We're all over this, if you hadn't noticed.:D

We have (well Duvet tbf) concluded that the OP is not Alan Shaw.

Careful! Your post could be interpreted as saying that all competent loudspeakers will sound the same if driven by a competent amplifier. That's definitely NOT the case, as different loudspeakers have radically different characteristics.

S

I meant obviously that speaker A if it is of a competent design will sound the same if driven by any competently designed amplifier that isn't clipping.

To be clear :D

We're all over this, if you hadn't noticed.:D

We have (well Duvet tbf) concluded that the OP is not Alan Shaw.

Indeed but you only know that if you read every post which many of us might not do especially when we have had more than our weekly Alcohol units. I still feel the original post needs amending.

Indeed but you only know that if you read every post which many of us might not do especially when we have had more than our weekly Alcohol units. I still feel the original post needs amending.

I've fixed it.:^

Good topic though.

Yep. Advert or not, his point is absolutely spot on. But the faith healers and woo woo subjectivist here and elsewhere persist.

James,

Like the avatar.

So sell your Accuphase and get a Behringer as the triangles are easy to drive and you could sell them get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good).

Sorry AS (both of them) you are wrong get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good). . You do NOT have the capability get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good) (or if you have you have never published it) to do a statistically get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good) valid double blind tests that show your point get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good).

And on top of that get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good).

• Upvote 1

Yes, and I think he makes a couple of other good points:

That any distortions introduced by any competent amplifier will be rendered completely insignificant by those introduced by the most excellent speaker you could build.

That making comparisons in uncontrolled circumstances at this level is a waste of time.

Only thing I would have added is that amps CAN sound obviously different if their output impedance is so high that it affects the operation of the speaker.

His tone might have been condescending but he's right, IMHO. He did also make the point that nobody would believe him, mind.;-)

I think Alan's tone is born of desperation and frustration of having to answer the same question over and over again. He even tried to prove it by offering a very rich prize to anyone who could prove him wrong, yet all he got for those pains was opprobrium.

Is it any wonder that most HiFi manufacturers go in for foo-type marketing, as few care about the real engineering story.

If I were Alan, I'd send a technical questionnaire out to all prospective customers, and only sell to those who either passed the test, or jst wanted to listen to music. HiFi enthusiasts need not apply!

S

I think Alan's tone is born of desperation and frustration of having to answer the same question over and over again.

Yes, I picked up some of that too.:roll:

If I were Alan, I'd send a technical questionnaire out to all prospective customers, and only sell to those who either passed the test, or jst wanted to listen to music. HiFi enthusiasts need not apply!

S

Possibly not the greatest business plan, though.

Kevin

Careful! Your post could be interpreted as saying that all competent loudspeakers will sound the same if driven by a competent amplifier. That's definitely NOT the case, as different loudspeakers have radically different characteristics.

S

So by definition there's no such thing as a competently design loudspeaker?

• Upvote 1

James,

Like the avatar.

So sell your Accuphase and get a Behringer as the triangles are easy to drive and you could sell them get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good).

Sorry AS (both of them) you are wrong get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good). . You do NOT have the capability get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good) (or if you have you have never published it) to do a statistically get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good) valid double blind tests that show your point get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good).

And on top of that get a Harbeth Loudspeaker (very good).

and your point is?

So by definition there's no such thing as a competently design loudspeaker?

How competence of designer is measured is quite subjective.

I think Alan's tone is born of desperation and frustration of having to answer the same question over and over again. He even tried to prove it by offering a very rich prize to anyone who could prove him wrong, yet all he got for those pains was opprobrium.

Is it any wonder that most HiFi manufacturers go in for foo-type marketing, as few care about the real engineering story.

S

And he would go bust within weeks. Remember Serge he runs a business, it is not a hobby.

He actually makes nice speakers but with the 40.1 being the best, not something in the top rank, as it only goes down to 30Hz. For me, they do sound as though they have a good frequency response and unlike other British speakers still manage to sound lively rather than having a flat FR and sounding boring.

He has a great reputation in the US and gets good reviews (heaven forbid by observational reviewers).

If you go to his web page he has quotes from observational reviewers all over the place. He is a businessman and needs to do what he does, use everything that is positive including reviewers comments, make daft challenges and then be a great personal advert for HIS speakers. The more controversial the better, as Ivor found out years ago.

Possibly not the greatest business plan, though.

Kevin

Which is why I went bust when I had a hifi shop in the mid '80s.

I cringed when I saw someone come in to the shop with a copy of What HiFi under their arm.

I did very well selling to 50 year old accountants, solicitors and doctors who just wanted a music system, but very badly to HiFi enthusiasts who would go to other dealers that knew far better than I how to sell to them. Sadly, not enough of the former and too many of the latter.

S

I'm going back to bed.