DSCF7894_zpsynkjg0hc.jpg

DSCF7895_zpssugfupu9.jpg

DSCF7896_zpsd3yynikr.jpg

DSCF7898_zpsne3lw9nl.jpg

to a DHT Pre-amp, singing in my stereo.

Paul

• Upvote 1

That's great ! A nicely done build.

Have you given thoughts to upgrading some of the supplied bits yet ?

Shmale supplies some fairly Nasty switches and pots in his Kits.

As well as supplying 70v line speaker transformers as output iron in his Amp kits,

which while they work, are a serious millstone to sounds

That's great ! A nicely done build.

Have you given thoughts to upgrading some of the supplied bits yet ?

Shmale supplies some fairly Nasty switches and pots in his Kits.

As well as supplying 70v line speaker transformers as output iron in his Amp kits,

which while they work, are a serious millstone to sounds

Yes built a pair of Paramour II's & the OPT's were very cheap - now fitted with MagneQuest nickel/steal pinstripe. Agree both the volume and balance pots are poor quality and did think about replacing them prior to starting the build, but generally stick with stock parts incase of problems. I did however replace all the RCA sockets which where IMO sub-standard.

Paul

Nice work. Are the top plates steel? I love the look.

Top-plate is alloy and is supplied with a random 'brushed' finish which I rather like. Took the plate to a local engraver to have the control and valve type nomenclature added - rather pleased how that worked out, except they took my pencilled guide marks a bit too literally in some places!

Paul

I was going to comment on the engraving, nice touch.

Used to use dry transfer and then lacquer the plate, but that wouldn't work on the brushed finish. I also change the nuts. & bolts for nicer allen cap head stainless ones and dome nuts for the transformer cover - still using my favourite high temp wrinkle paint for this, though my wife is always less than happy about the smell when I use our oven to 'bake' the finish (1 hour @ 200 degrees C)!

Paul

Nice. One final question, the corner clamp device you used, is it a strap clamp? Work well? I'd much prefer something like that than having to buy or make 4 corner clamps.

Nice. One final question, the corner clamp device you used, is it a strap clamp? Work well? I'd much prefer something like that than having to buy or make 4 corner clamps.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-083100-Band-Clamp-4-5m-15ft/dp/B001DZVNE8

Yes it is a strap clamp with 4 corner pieces which is probably the easiest clamping method I've found - though very fiddly to get in place when there are four bits of unsupported wood. The method I use is to lay the individual side pieces on a broad continuous length of masking tape, apply the glue and fold the sides together, then apply the clamp. Were you thinking of getting a Bottlehead kit?

Paul

Thanks for the tips.

Not getting a bottlehead kit, just putting together a couple of things I have knocking about. I have been stalled on some projects for a while due to a lack of funds, but selling my speakers at the weekend let me order the bits I needed so I'm full steam ahead.

Nice job. Just needs some chicken head knobs! :D

I was tempted by the Bee Pre 300B preamp, but then I heard this. http://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/2013/02/20/26-dht-preamp-gen2-by-rui-lourenco/

So I'm going mad and attempting to build one. Probably wish I'd bought Bee Pre in the end!

Well the Bee Pre was a no go for me as I don't get involved with anything that uses costly or rare valves and even cheap 300B's are too spendy for my liking, as for the linked build - well I know next to nothing about electronics, but I can follow instructions, so I'll be sticking with kits :( but best of luck...

Like the Quickie before it, the Smash uses really cheap valves (4P1L's) which I also happen to have a box of and never had anything to plug them into, plus got loads of OD3's so that's me sorted for life if I find I really like the pre.

Paul