Replacement for my LV OBX R2s

Ant

Been thinking for a while what I would do when the LVs sold. Really wanted to try some ANs or Impulse H2s but with the cash tied up a little and when I really thought about I realised that I wanted to spend less and have more fun. That pretty much ruled out any commercial design, although I have been considering a 16a replica, I just don't think I could get it into my room.

So with all that said I'm going DIY.

Things that interest me: Open baffle, Horns, high sensitivity, large lightweight cones, Saba green cones, field coils, open back boxes, vintage cinema equipment etc.

I have a history of rather ambitious projects that get stalled due to a lack of time or a lack of talent (or both). So in order to get up and running ASAP I needed something inexpensive and simple to get me started on the path. I have a dedicated room so size and ugliness is not an issue as long as I can physically get it in there (or build in situ).

These drivers have been ordered.

http://www.monacor.de/en/products/speaker-technology/hi-fi-full-range-speakers/8/sp-2058/

Now just deciding on a baffle size and placement within the baffle to get me started. Eventually I'm leaning towards an open back box rather than true OB like the old Telefunken wardrobes.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjW5Kayz7PLAhUFLhoKHaRMCf8QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fglowinthedarkaudio.com%2Ftelefunkenopenbaffle.html&psig=AFQjCNGNSxM_GvaWEBsqKB7tVfj1Koa6_g&ust=1457613446473190

Hi Ant, welcome to the DIY nervosa. The saba green clones sound great. Easy project as there's already a fine tuned recipe. Adam made these and they sound lovely, open, coherent as you would expect from open baffles. I was going to try some open baffles with field coil drivers but got too busy myself. Also I found the theory abit over my head. I'm now in the process of making some frugal horn xl with alpair drivers. Paper cones sensitivity about 91 without enclosures. You can order the cabinets cnc cut so just need to glue and pad out. But if you've got the dedicated space, there's nothing like horns. JJ

I think the monacor is a start. My thought without hearing them is that I'll add a 15 each side and go from there. Horns definitely appeal but not all the computerised crossover stuff.

I don't know really. I've not heard a digital crossover that I'm aware of so it isn't the sound. I work in software development so technically I should be able to grasp it. Maybe it is just my mistrust of silicon and any technology from after 1956 :)

I don't know the drivers you have ordered. But some general comments...

I really liked the Saba speakers I made, and could happily go back to them. Dead easy to make, and cheap to boot.

I would actually recommend doing something similar: get a pair of Eminence 15 alpha for open baffle bass, use your driver for the mid (250-whatever), and probably top it with a tweeter. I have a few tweeters you can try if you like - a ribbon and a Fostex horn. These are only for c. 5k up though, may be too high.

Once you have it running, you can start thinking of upgrades! Going horn loaded, obviously - keep the open baffle bass, and add the drivers above. Can be very gradual, and easier with a digital crossover.

Don't be afraid to use cheap amps if you are active - especially on the bass and high treble.

Find a local timber merchant who can cut the wood to size. Use 15-18mm birch ply. Then it's just a matter of screwing it together and routing out the holes for the drivers.

You'll be surprised how easy it is to get really good sound. And how you can make it better and better as you tweak it. I guarantee that you will not miss your LVs.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

If you add up the cost of drivers, horns, cabinets, compression drivers, ribbons, crossovers and multiple amps you can buy a pair of very good speakers and one amp...... but where's the fun in that.

Love it, thanks guys. The drivers I bought were £20 not a lot invested so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Monacor 205/8

Just plonked into some card board boxes for now to get an idea and run them in. Sound far better than they have any right too.

I think adding an Alpha 15a each side might get me somewhere while I think about horns.

The 15s arrived and everything is just lashed together to get some electricity flowing.

What are my options for digital crossovers then? I've seen miniDSP