Replacement for my LV OBX R2s

Ant

Cardboard is great! No cabinet resonance problems. I've happily used (and listen at my desk to) Polystyrene cabineted Zigmahornets.

J River has one built in. Use a 7.1 soundcard and you can have four way.

Does it allow a passthrough of non digital sources?

Does it allow a passthrough of non digital sources?

It allows digital sources to be fed into the DSP, but since it's a digital crossover, they will of course be converted to digital.

It makes sense to get things working with J River, spare t-amps etc, as you'll be makes a lot of changes quickly. Very cheap experimentation.

Ah so just as a temporary experimental setup then as vinyl is my main source of music.

Once you have the settings sorted, you can improve the quality by adding an M2Tech Joplin, say - that is an A-D converter designed to digitise vinyl - or a better soundcard, Nadja, whatever. Or you could get a pro analogue active crossover, or convert the settings into using passive crossover components.

Digital is *really* good for ease of changes while you play about. Personally I think it's good enough, and indeed Pete uses it with some nice TTs. Enjoy the journey :)

I'll have a look how cheaply I can do this. I don't have a PC but I've got the makings of a really old one that might work.

• 5 weeks later...

I've made some progress

13138976_10154209030036789_7999406329023221868_n.jpg?oh=bcd754902c575ea6ca7382703ca848ea&oe=57E561BE

I've ended up using Jriver on a Mac laptop (it is a really badly written port of the PC version and not very stable) running through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Mastersound EL34 amp for top and a Musical Fidelity A100 for bass.

I've settled on a 200hz crossover point for now with 12dB per octave slopes.

It has more bass than I thought it would, I'd always imagined that I'd need 2 15s per side in an OB. There are some nice things happening in the mid range and it seems integrated, you don't feel there are two speakers per side. Top end extends as far as I think you need although I will experiment with that at some point perhaps.

the bad parts are the mid range can get a bit harsh and shouty at high volume, it doesn't play particularly loud, but that might just be that I'm sitting so far away from the speakers (20ft maybe), the bass while loud on its own can disappear when other instruments come in and swamp it. This I think could be too high a crossover point or maybe just a function of the room not being pressurised like a large box speaker would and maybe this is more natural.

Will play around for a bit but I'm thinking some sort of horn mid experiment is coming.