cdg

A box full of Valves - help needed

I inherited a large box of valves, not counted but must be 200 or so in there, ultimately I would like to move them on (at least the ones I don't need) - but to move them I would need to test them to makes sure each valve/tube is fit and healthy.

Personally I would like to sell them individually and perhaps make a little pocket money for myself, but without a valve/tube tester I don't know how I am going to do this.

I've taken a photo of a few that are in that box - see here:

http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/cdgeorge1/library/Box%20of%20Valves

Can anyone help?

I inherited a large box of valves, not counted but must be 200 or so in there, ultimately I would like to move them on (at least the ones I don't need) - but to move them I would need to test them to makes sure each valve/tube is fit and healthy.

Personally I would like to sell them individually and perhaps make a little pocket money for myself, but without a valve/tube tester I don't know how I am going to do this.

I've taken a photo of a few that are in that box - see here:

http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/cdgeorge1/library/Box%20of%20Valves

Can anyone help?

Can't see anything of any value in that lot - stick them on eBay would be my advise

Personally I'd just give them away to a radio enthusiast

There are only a few valve types, which fetch any decent money nowadays. Most valves were used in TVs and radios, and are effectively worthless on the open market. Pick out the obvious audio ones e.g. ECC81, ECC82, ECC83, EF86, EL34, EL84, ECF80, GZ32, GZ34, KT66 etc and offer up the rest as freebies.

I imagine that you wont have many of the selected types. Then you can find someone to test the ones, which are worth something.

I can see a few RCAs one is a 12au7 and some siemens and a HP that may be a rebadged amperex, as above concentrate on the ecc81, 82, 83 and el84 types.

You need someone with a tester as without knowing the usage you'd have to sell them for peanuts.

The Siemens and Amperex ecc83's can fetch good money.

Bear in mind the american markings, though. (12AU7 = ECC82, for example).

Difficult to tell from your selection but they look as though they may be equipment pulls with some life in them. Best is to make a list of the types - whatever the markings and post it up, then we can point out any ones worth testing for sale. As for the rest - as others have said, radio hams may be keen to pick them up.

I'd guess that a fair few of them came from a Tek scope, given the Tek label on one and the presence of a few neon stabilisers. You should find a good few 12AU7, 12AX7, 12AT7 valves that have had an easy life if that's the case, and they'll be useful for audio, but many of the more obscure types won't be.

Can't see anything of any value in that lot - stick them on eBay would be my advise

Personally I'd just give them away to a radio enthusiast

I would love to give them away but right now, if there's any chance of making some useful pocket money that would assist me greatly with various commitments likes my daughters University accommodation for example ...

Thanks all for some useful pointers so far. I'm very much a novice with valves and finding a way to identify them as ECC83's for example when the ECC83 has many other names will be a steep learning curve for me.

Right now I am racking my brain trying to think of someone that may have a valve tester to get me off the starting blocks.

Put a list together with as much detail i.e part numbers or any writing that is left and people will help identify them. Those that don't have any writing left just take closeup photos of them. Then you can find someone with a tester, may be worth starting a thread in the DIY section as there are a few owners in there.

Super Wammer

I have an Avo 163 which you are welcome to come and use but I suspect you are a bit too far away.

There are a few of us on the Wam with decent valve testers .

Ifs it's only half a dozen you may find a Wammer close to you willing to help but to test this sort of amount properly would take a considerable time to test, there would need to be a few decent ecc1/2/3/88's to make it worth somebody's while.

Thanks all for some useful pointers so far. I'm very much a novice with valves and finding a way to identify them as ECC83's for example when the ECC83 has many other names will be a steep learning curve for me.

Right now I am racking my brain trying to think of someone that may have a valve tester to get me off the starting blocks.

I have an Avo 163 which you are welcome to come and use but I suspect you are a bit too far away.

I might take you up on that thank you!! I also have a radio enthusiast fairly close by with what he calls a Taylor valve tester who's also offered to help - so things are really looking up for me now.

Distance wise - you are right near my daughters university in Nottingham, and I go up there once in a while with Melton only 20 miles from her. Furthermore I have a lovely 1970's Transcriptor Reference Hydraulic turntable being serviced up in that neck of the woods which will need collecting when done.

Please PM me with your email address and perhaps we can work out something?

Now I have choices - the Taylor or the Avo valve tester :).

if any say this I'd be interested:

6201/12AT7

GE 5965

Sylvania 6JN6

Telefunken ECC81

Valvo blue label

if any say this I'd be interested:

6201/12AT7

GE 5965

Sylvania 6JN6

Telefunken ECC81

Valvo blue label

LOL

In the same vein, if any say WE300A or WE300B then I might be interested too :nuts: