mr.me

Biasing valve power amp?

I want to check the bias on my EL34 amp. Do I need to have the speakers connected while doing this? Also how long should I leave the amp before setting the bias and do I need to monitor the setting for a period of time or do I just continue to the next valve once I have the correct setting. Not done this before as you can tell :nerves:

I want to check the bias on my EL34 amp. Do I need to have the speakers connected while doing this? Also how long should I leave the amp before setting the bias and do I need to monitor the setting for a period of time or do I just continue to the next valve once I have the correct setting. Not done this before as you can tell :nerves:

Yes, you must present the amplifier with a load, either loudspeakers or a dummy load.

I would let the amp warm up for about 5 minutes, check the bias to each valve and make sure they're more or less OK, then check again after 10-15 minutes and adjust to the correct value.

S

I suspected as much, thanks Serge

Speakers connected. Yes.

Leave on. Few minutes.

Just do each valve in turn and then go back and redo. Usually a slight difference. This is assuming push pull.

Sorry can't provide technical reasons. But in case you want to cracking on.

JJ