davidavdavid

Audio Gold

Been here in London 4 years now and never ventured up North to Audio Gold in Crouch End before today. Entering the shop was like being transported back in time. So many of the makes and models of kit that I used to own on display, from speakers to amplifiers/receivers, turntables and even stands.

As they had a pair of Stirling LS3/5A speakers on the shelf, I asked if I could take a listen. Having listened to a pair or Rogers LS3/5A eons ago, I was quite happy to be re-introduced to them and surprised by their musicality. Not being sure what to expect. They are a fine little speaker, but the price-tag did come as a bit of a shock.

All in all it was nice such a wide array of gear, some makes for the very first time :)

Well worth the trek :)

Yes David, they do have some interesting items but unfortunately their prices would give the average wammer a coronary.

I've seen the prices and know what you mean. I suspect part of it is just the cost of running a shop.

I really mourn the loss of the wonderful second hand hifi shops that we used to have in London.

For what it's worth they used to knock off 10% off the asking prices without being prompted.

I know it still makes them very expensive though

In the early days (about 1995-2000) it was in a smaller shop near the centre of Crouch End, and prices the were keener. Moving to larger premises meant higher overheads.

the original chap who set it up (Richard) was a real gent: one of a dying breed. The guys who run it now are top dudes too. They are proper aficionados and do what they can to help.

But what a pleasure to have such a shop in Corporate London. Use it or lose it!

I started my resurrection back "into audio" in that shop, buying some MF amps and Mission speakers. (I've seen the light since ;-) )

Buy def make the trip and buy stuff. They have racks of decent vinyl too.

SP

Great shop, great people. However, as noted above - expensive. That's London I guess!

In the early days (about 1995-2000) it was in a smaller shop near the centre of Crouch End, and prices the were keener. Moving to larger premises meant higher overheads.

the original chap who set it up (Richard) was a real gent: one of a dying breed.

Quite right SP, I used to frequent that tiny shop a fair bit. Richard moved to larger premises for obvious reasons but being just out of central Crouch end meant slightly lesser ground rates.

Indeed he was a true enthusiast and helped promote local musicians, including acoustic nights at the Victoria Stakes boozer opposite the current premises.

I remember the 2nd hand hif shop that used to be on Shepherds Bush Green- that had some serious comedy pricing (like £250 for a Leak Stereo 30 - I'd just bought one from the record and tape exchange for £20!).

I went in there once with Nic Poulson of Trilogy/Isol8;Nic asked if the chap ever had any McIntosh kit coming in. The owner said "I don't think you look like the sort who could afford McIntosh!"

Been there a couple of times and thought it was a great place, but like others I was not overly impressed with the prices, and limited myself to buying one or two records just to "do my bit for the industry" and all that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visited the place a few years ago when I was just getting back into hi fi. It's a great shop and I have to say the guys that worked there were very friendly and helpful and I felt no rush whilst demoing a pair of speakers. The only problem was the prices. I totally understand they have to run a a shop, you can't compete against online sales and I'll always support a shop if I can but their mark up was way too steep and unrealistic. They wanted £1000 for a second hand pair of spendor SP1 speakers in fair condition which I then found the same day without too much searchng for £300. Now £300 is on the low side but £1000 is way over the top. What I will say is they are good if you're looking for some vinyl, or something new from Icon Audio as they are an official dealer and must be one of the only places in London you can demo their gear and the prices are fixed the same as online.

Cheers