alcarmichael

Vinyl to digital front end?

Has anyone gone from a good vinyl front end to digital and been happy with the move?

I was until I bought a cheap systemdek and remembered how good vinyl sounds.

Yes, in 1984 when I got my first CD player (Marantz CD63 top loader) Never looked back for audio quality.

Still enjoy my turntables for engineering quality and looks, but when it comes to sound quality, digital ever time.

S

well I guess it depends on what you call 'good'. The answer though, I suspect, is 'no'!

I've just started messing around with digital and I'm very happy with it but I wouldn't say I've moved over to it , I enjoy both .

Yes. I happily acknowledge that vinyl can sound fab but then so can digital. The quality of recording and mastering has more impact on listening than the format.

The reason I ask is; I think my vinyl source really does sound excellent, I'm extremely happy with it. But then I've spent a considerable amount of money on all the various components to get there. I have never heard a comparable digital source. I like the CD63 comment though; this was my first foray into hifi, albeit 12 years later, I bought the KI Signature CD player.

If my stereo can sound as good as my vinyl source with a digital source then the ease of digital easily wins.

I'm sure there are people reading this thinking 'what's this idiot on about with his DJ deck'.

Super Dealer
Yes. I happily acknowledge that vinyl can sound fab but then so can digital. The quality of recording and mastering has more impact on listening than the format.

Agree completely. I would have a vinyl rig if I had more space but I am very happy with the NOS DDDac as my main source (inherent distortions and all!)

I use both.

If you have an idiosyncratic cartridge frequency balance, and a lot of cartridges do, and your system is adjusted by ear to compensate then digital may well not match it all that well and you may have to dick about to get it right again.

I listen 80/20 digital/LP though I may well go for a while playing just one or the other.

LPs today :)

This.

No one format is "superior" in terms of enjoyment. I have different masters of the same album on both formats, it's never a case of the vinyl is always superior or the CD is always superior.

If you want a turntable, buy one.

Having both works well for me. Though SQ wise I prefer vinyl. Digital is convenient and used heavily here, due to a good deal of CBA when it's been one of those days at work.

This.

No one format is "superior" in terms of enjoyment. I have different masters of the same album on both formats, it's never a case of the vinyl is always superior or the CD is always superior.

If you want a turntable, buy one.

Completely agree, but today, for example, I had an afternoon of playing LPs, because that's what I felt like, yet every one was marred by a click or a bit of HF distortion, especially towards the end of side. Digital doesn't have that, it just works.

I won't get into an argument of which sounds better, but digital gives me more enjoyment because it just works, no faffing about with cleaning, clicks, etc.

S

Completely agree, but today, for example, I had an afternoon of playing LPs, because that's what I felt like, yet every one was marred by a click or a bit of HF distortion, especially towards the end of side. Digital doesn't have that, it just works.

I won't get into an argument of which sounds better, but digital gives me more enjoyment because it just works, no faffing about with cleaning, clicks, etc.

S

Absolutely.

Given comparably well-mastered recordings, it's a no-brainer. £100 Pioneer stable platter plus £100 DAC and the results are stunning.

By comparison, the vinyl front end is ludicrously more costly to a ridiculous extent. Takes far more faffing about. Needs a step-up transformer, phono stage, etc.

However, I'm afraid that pops and clicks notwithstanding, the vinyl is simply nicer to listen to. There seems (ironically) to be more dynamic range.

Add to that the issue that the vast majority of digital recordings are apallingly mastered in terms of real h-fi reproduction, and the 'no-brainer' goes out of the window.

S

I'm the same. If I have to start fiddling mid session because of noise/clicks, I very often nowadays switch to Spotify on the Chromecasts.

Has anyone gone from a good vinyl front end to digital and been happy with the move?

No