andy74

Naim cabling quesrion...

I'm currently running some generic cabling with my naim amplifiers, I've read the Amps are better suited to using naim naca5 and minimum of 3.5m per run.

My speakers are bi amped so I need to do 2 runs of 3.5m to each speaker, issue is the speakers are 2m away from the Amps.

do I simply coil the excess 1.5m up and how important is it to keep the minimum requirement lengths?

thanks.

Might be 3.5m. My possible faulty memory says 2.5m.

I'd play safe and go with the recommended length. Also gives flex for the future

BTW I prefer and use the Exposure clone of NACA5.

Available every now and again 2nd hand

Folklaw is 3.5m minimum :nerves:

Older CB and Olive amps are susceptible to oscillation with the wrong cables, the only (2nd hand ) experience I've had was with some Kimber twisted stuff and Nap 180.

Kimber's probably the extreme case of the wrong properties with Naim (High capacitance?)

Certainly older Naim amps used to need at least 3.5m of their NAC5 cable because this provides enough series inductance to prevent amp oscillation into highly reactive speaker loads. Most normal class AB amps include a small inductor inside the amp negating the need for inductive cable. If you parallel up your cables for biwiring your effectively halving the inductance seen by the amp so really you need to double up. You may not need to do this if the speakers have a benign impedance. Putting the series inductor in the amp does away with the need to double up. I can guess why Naim did this.