Baltic Birch ply 20-22mm?

AlMac

Baltic birch - best grade ( as I won't be sticking laminate over the top, just lacquering it)

Well, I've searched in the DIY sections and on the net - I just can't seem to get anything thicker than 18mm. Can't start my Troels project without a thicker ply - he says 20-22mm.

Unfortunately, the resources and time involved in doubling up and squeezing to get the air out via some huge press, is way out of my reach.

It would need to be from a supplier that can do accurate cutting.

I think dropping 4mm all round would be too much of a hit in terms of rigidity and, with less certainly, may also throw the internal volume off?

If theres a workaround for this problem - let me know your ideas!

Thanks

It's because they use different standard thicknesses on the continent (Where Troels' is based). We tend to go 12,18,25 and they tend to go 13,16,19,22. Just use 25mm.

Which speaker are you building from Troels' line up and where are you based?

Stefan

It's because they use different standard thicknesses on the continent (Where Troels' is based). We tend to go 12,18,25 and they tend to go 13,16,19,22. Just use 25mm.

Which speaker are you building from Troels' line up and where are you based?

Stefan

Ah, ok, that explains why I can't get it /makes sense.

I am FINALLY attempting to get the wood for the cabinet build for these. It is a big deal for me:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ScanSpeak-3W-Discovery.htm

The front baffle and the crossover in the pictures I already have - I bought them off Troel ( that was a lot of lurking till he put them up For Sale, Il'l tell you).

It's taken me nearly two years I think to get to the next stage of buying the wood, then the drivers. Unemployment may be on the horizon in 2017 - so it has pushed the whole thing on - good, I needed pushing.

I am in Brighton, England.

After serious nerdy reading up, 'the thicker, the better' - but as his design are very 'tight' on this model, it could cause havoc going unto 25mm (a I already have the ready-made front baffles [and they are a thing of beauty], so I can't 'move stuff around)

Also, the 'Farmwood' company in the UK I wanted to use only goes unto 18mm (because their cutting service is so accurate, they can do the 45 degree corners and also the routing for the back panel and the three braces that I wanted done to increase strength and make assembly easier). Any other recommendations for places that can offer similar, but in thicker sizes? The idea of buying off another country is a bit weird/much for me.

Thank you for your contributions.

Are there not other designs in Troel's repertoire?

Using 1" thick could cause all manner of collateral issues in the build process.

Is there not (non Birch ) Ply available in the designed size? Beyond Audio Folklore.. Birch offers only small (arguable :-) advantage in a speaker box

On a personal viewpoint rant/ basis I never understood building small speakers then having to stand mount them.

Losing both the advantages of a decent bass chamber and then having to do further work to mount the gelded things high enough to be useful.

I've asked over on UKWorkshop. One suggestion is Latham's, they don't list it on their site, but they often have other less standard sizes in stock.

Children timbers in Hemel Hempstead do it too...

http://catalogue.chilterntimber.co.uk/category2060625.html

Thanks for all your responses - I'm looking into all of them.

On a quick look through, still haven't found the perfect match - either they can only do right angle/straight cuts or only offer ply that may not be suitable to just leave clear as it is not top 'best' face grade and has plugs in it etc. Still - i'll contact them all in person this week - it may well be, as you say, they have stuff in the size/finish thats ok because of the small amounts I'm after it isn't advertised.

Standmounts vs coffins, er, floorstanders

Yup, your are right in many/all ways. The bigger the box the more bass. And I most definitely like big bass. And, yes, they take up the same floorspace.

But, and its big butt for me, they don't take up the same visual space. I don't like the way big floorstanders look. And small (thinner) ones that have less visual impact have 6 inch drivers that just cannot pump the air. Often they are not really even 6 inches either - theres a lot of fiddling with measurement where the cone measures from etc.

For me, floor standers dominate too much by having a straight drop to the floor. And, I like to have a kinda industrial/studio monitor look - where the drivers take up most of the baffle area. You lose that 'in your face/meaness' on a long baffle - or they look silly if they try to fake it with lots of the same drivers in a row, like a shooting gallery. I know, I know, it's purely aesthetic, nothing more. Different strokes n'll that. The girlfriend wouldn't like them either - although saying that, I would use them if I liked them anyway.

To try and overcome the sound shortcomings of the standmounter, I've been very careful in selecting a design that has a much bigger than average volume (42 litres!), a bigger than average bass unit (8 inch with a larger surface area than most 'standard' 8 inchers and a make and model that is more bass-y anyway), and a cabinet with three bracings and a sealed unit the cabinet should be a lot more rigid that most. There is, of course, also the fact that I am a bit of a scardy cat builder and I'm kidding myself that a smaller speaker equals an easier time of it. As first timer (and a last timer- I won't be doing this again), this is a comforting delusion.

Baltic birch vs other

Yup, I agree (and so does Troels the designer), the advantages of birch ply over mdf are debatable/negligable. But mdf is super ugly, so it needs to be veneered/covered - another too scary/expensive thing for the non-builder. Besides - I love the look of ply, always have since I was a kid. All those layers....mmm. Someone on the Wam bought one of Troels mega thick birch ply turntable plinths - jesus, that's so beautiful. Do you know that one I'm talking about..tell me thats not gorgeous.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/My-Turntables.htm

Dont think you could go far wrong with Valchromat supplied by Avon ply

wow - that looks interesting.

Then, I realised (duh!), the front baffle pieces I already have (bought off Troels) are made from this very stuff! He calls it 'through coloured mdf', not its commercial name). He oiled it with danish oil - he's right, it does have a 'ceramic feel' and bear no relation to painted mdf at all.

And, its available in 22 mm. I love ply, but I'm going to ask for some samples right now...

great idea, thanks.

Might have a fix for you.

One of my other hobbies is deep sky visual astronomy. A few years ago, I had a new wooden base built for my 16" dobsonian and the guy that did it, (based in Norwich), has been building and working with Ply and exotic woods all his life. He has all the tools, dovetails all the joints and then gets the finish painted / lacquered etc to simply stunning levels.

What at he did for me, was a really complex job and a work of art. Moreover, it's built to last the rigours of any weather condition you can possibly imagine.

If you want, I can put him in contact with you. He's a bright guy, in demand but fast. He will either source the wood or make the cabinets and you have another options to consider.

If you PM me, I would be delighted to help.

Rgds

Steve