Low Power Valve Amplifiers

steelhull

Hi Guys, advice please.

I am contemplating a new project which would need a valve amp of between 5 and (max) 20 watts.

who makes the best ones?

Thanks in advance

Mike

what is your budget? and what speakers are you planning to use for your project?

Mike I enjoyed over the years a second hand Audio Innovations First Audio (7w 2A3 amp), also with the right speakers EAR 869 (15W which can be used as an integrated or a power amp), Croft OTL (about 18W) and a Gamma 211 amp (18W).

A lot of people like the Audio Innovations S300 integrated (12W EL84) and about £300-ish.

SET's have the sweetest sound, but for some people it's a little too sweet and the bass is always a bit meh with SETs.

Thanks, budget is a bit flexible, as to speakers, possibly horns.

Mike

Mike, you are welcome to borrow my Decware Zen for it bit (being just round the corner).

Its only 1.5wpc at best but you can try it for as long as you like :^

9101089965_61bfe53988_c.jpg

Decware Zen SE84 DIY Build by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

"Who makes the best ones?" If that's the question, Tron do, Graham Tricker's stuff.

Wrong.

See Dean's post with the Arcadia.

"Who makes the best ones?" If that's the question, Tron do, Graham Tricker's stuff.

I don't see how you can say that. So you are totally discounting things like Audio Note, Wavac, Audio Tekne, Conrad Johnson let alone all the myriad of small manufacturers.

I don't see how you can say that. So you are totally discounting things like Audio Note, Wavac, Audio Tekne, Conrad Johnson let alone all the myriad of small manufacturers.

I have to agree with Bob on this. Tron certainly make excellent kit but then so do a whole host of others.

I love copper!

That,or an identical copy, used to be mine before Simon decided that it needed an off-board power supply. Simon will confirm but I think that one is unique and only a handful of copper ones were ever made by him. It was "adequate" in Serge speak.