Sign in to follow this  
terataz

Fancy interconnects Vs simple internal cabling

The other day I've opened my Croft amp just to find out that the internal wiring is done with what looks like very thin cabling.

Nothing fancy at all I will say, just a simple, single wire cable soldered on each side.

This includes the cables from the inputs ports, were all my fancy interconnect are plugged in.

Can anyone explain why we all use expensive external cabling (IC, speaker cables), while in most amps the internal cabling is done with simple,single wires?

Thanks

Fear? Hope? Expectation? Belief? That glowing knowledge that you have something good.

Interconnecting cables do have to be a little more robust than internal wiring within equipment that is never likely to be disturbed, but, of course, nobody would buy expensive cables if they didn't look and feel expensive.;-)

As to why people do, well, what he said^.

Can anyone explain why we all use expensive external cabling (IC, speaker cables)

We don't 'all' ;-)

As is the cable in most speakers. May be because we choose ancillaries with a lot of expectation, based on the comments of others, and reviews from the golden eared ones. Just listen and make your choice.

Thanks for all your replies.

I just want to clarify that this post is not about "Is it worth to spend on IC and cabling": up to a degree, i'm already convinced it is as it will improve the sound (power cables too, funny enough).

I just wanted to see if there is somehow a rational explanation for the difference in, shall I say, the material, the coating and general construction for internal vs external cables.

all my cabling is pure silver. from my diy ICs and Speaker cables to the wires within my speakers, crossovers, amp and DAC. i think it makes a difference and have made sure to leave no stone unturned in pursuit of eeking out as much benefit from using it in my system.

How do you really know what is inside, all you can see is the posh, upmarket looking outer.

How do you really know what is inside, all you can see is the posh, upmarket looking outer.

is that directed at me?

is that directed at me?

Nah, general comment, I assume you make your own.

Don't Audionote use some sexy stuff in their amps?