Big TDLs

JimR

I fancy these.

Never heard any and have no idea whether the price is sensible. But I remember seeing a pair at a London show sometime last century and just being gobsmacked by the sheer size of the things.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TDL-REFERENCE-STANDARD-SPEAKERS-RARE-100-Working-/331837245005?hash=item4d430a864d:g:z-kAAOSw1DtXGM1k

Or, if you prefer, here is a replica pair:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TDL-REFERENCE-STANDARD-SPEAKERS-replica-but-same-xover-drivers-and-cab-design-/331839864479?hash=item4d43327e9f:g:h-IAAOSwU0RXHQ~O

Don't think the missus would be impressed however.

Jim.

Very disappointing is how I would describe them. OK so long as you don't want a fast sound. I have issues with the treble on the ones I have had (Reference 4's). the person who bought them, totally re-did the x/over and apparently they are better for it.

I wouldn't touch the copies, as you are wasting 60% of your money.

They look fantastic . I lusted after a pair but I'll take the opinion above rather than splash out 4 grand !

I love my Isobariks anyway :)

They look fantastic . I lusted after a pair but I'll take the opinion above rather than splash out 4 grand !

I love my Isobariks anyway :)

If you listen to classical or choral, they will be OK for you. Shite at rock or anything with a beat.

I was a TDL dealer in the mid 80s and had a pair in the shop. Most disappointing. Not just on rock, but pretty much everything. Perhaps they might have worked in a very large room, and sitting a long way away, but for normal rooms and listening distances just dull, with very 'heavy and slow' sounding bass.

They could probably be improved by being active with the right amount of EQ, but as the were, hopeless. Did look impressive!

S

A bit slow and ponderous - not fast enough for my classical tastes.

Organ aficionados, though :^ Awesome deep bass with the right amp.

A bit slow and ponderous - not fast enough for my classical tastes.

Organ aficionados, though :^ Awesome deep bass with the right amp.

Yes, but then very much a one-trick pony. Pedal stops aren't enough to make a loudspeaker useful. Even at that time there were loudspeakers that went as deep but had a decent full range. Meridian M10/M100s for instance, John Bowers Actives possibly, Kef 105.2s.

S

I prefer Kef 107's or Kef Reference 4's myself, much better and cheaper speakers. Bass as deep, go louder and are just massively better in every way.

My ipls piss over these for a fraction of the price.

Indeed.

If you listen to classical or choral, they will be OK for you. Shite at rock or anything with a beat.

I listen to almost no classical or choral. Almost everything else, apart from C&W of course

:)

So another reason not to even listen to them