mosfet

Worth watching on Amazon Prime

HELL ON WHEELS

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilot/dp/B00F4MP7FM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533985094&sr=8-1&keywords=hell+on+wheels

Watch it while you can with Prime, as its been on Amazon for a good while now and eventually thyings come off the Prime list or just go to pay per view/ digital purchase. Six good seasons, telling the story with dramatic licence, of the westward development of the railroad system in America. Fans of Deadwood should enjoy this. It doesn't have the amazing/amusing characters of Deadwood ( a unique one off ) but its gritty like it and you'll get hooked on the story and characters.

I am having trouble finding anything on Amazon Prime to be honest that's the trouble when you have watched lots of films but one good thing about Amazon Prime at least they still give you the option to watch SD def which works out cheaper for renting unlike Itunes who do not give you that option anymore and there prices are very expensive and think they are greedy so no longer use them .

There are some documentaries about the Colombian drugs lord Pablo Escobar that I’ve been watching on amazon and Netflix that are pretty interesting. Also getting into a book about him and his story which is fascinating. All the murders, his operation, hundreds of killers and politics of it. Amazing someone could live like this. 

48 minutes ago, Blacksabbath25 said:

I am having trouble finding anything on Amazon Prime to be honest that's the trouble when you have watched lots of films but one good thing about Amazon Prime at least they still give you the option to watch SD def which works out cheaper for renting unlike Itunes who do not give you that option anymore and there prices are very expensive and think they are greedy so no longer use them .

Have you watched that series I recommeded just above,  HELL ON WHEELS ?  That's good.

Another great one on Prime, is TURN - WASHINGTON'S SPIES. Four seasons, about the American War of Independence and the network of spies that helped the Continental cause. Its actually very very good.

And REVOLUTION., post apoc. drama in which the electricty suddenly stops working -that's pretty good. A pity they stopped with it after two seasons. However it did continue in the form of graphic novels if you want to see where the story goes after. Its actually off Prime now but you can rent it / buy it.

BLACK SAILS. Saw a few episodes and it looked ok. Still on Prime.

Amazon have got a ton of documentaries about flying saucers an' shit. ;-)   But a few of them are actually good.

And of course, MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE.  I believe season three is coming in the Autumn.

Edited by Cloth-Ears.

3 hours ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

Have you watched that series I recommeded just above,  HELL ON WHEELS ?  That's good.

Another great one on Prime, is TURN - WASHINGTON'S SPIES. Four seasons, about the American War of Independence and the network of spies that helped the Continental cause. Its actually very very good.

And REVOLUTION., post apoc. drama in which the electricty suddenly stops working -that's pretty good. A pity they stopped with it after two seasons. However it did continue in the form of graphic novels if you want to see where the story goes after. Its actually off Prime now but you can rent it / buy it.

BLACK SAILS. Saw a few episodes and it looked ok. Still on Prime.

Amazon have got a ton of documentaries about flying saucers an' shit. ;-)   But a few of them are actually good.

And of course, MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE.  I believe season three is coming in the Autumn.

I normally like Sifi or supernatural which I buy the seasons of supernatural anyway and I like the grand tour and then the odd film that I haven’t seen but there are a lot of low budget films on Amazon prime and to be honest Netflix isn’t much different and there hasn’t been anything worth watching on normal Tv for a long time as I used to like the documentary’s like Nazi mega structures  , air ambulance  , top gear or anything to do with world war 2 but that’s what is  interesting to me .

Edited by Blacksabbath25

I would say, Netlix is vastly superior for choice and though Amazon has improved, still better for functionality. 

On Netflix, have you noticed 3%, Black Mirror and Occupied ?  I bet you missed 3%. Its great.

Actually another source for documentaries and for free, is Youtube. Some fantastic stuff on there. I reckon I watch more Youtube than discs, Netflix and tv combined !

• Upvote 1

That sounds right for me to I do watch a lot of YouTube videos music videos , documentaries , hifi review videos , car videos as YouTube is excellent for that sort of thing  .

I used to use Netflix up and till the grand tour started on amazon Prime then I used to catch up with any film that Netflix didn’t show then ones the grand tour finished I then went back to Netflix but this year I haven’t done that I’ve stayed with Prime  .

I have often said in the past and continue to recommend, that people join Amazon Prime as a secondary streaming service, for a season. Specifically, the dark days of late autumn and winter when you are going to be watching more stuff. 

Since there is probably less to take you to Amazon compared to Netflix it does make sense to do it this way round. In the past you could only take Prime for the year but nowadays you can opt for monthly charging, making seasonal membership more feasible.

You will have Prime delivery for your Christmas time purchases !  Don't forget that.

Yes, so autumn/winter, or just winter, is the time to do it.  Let the shows 'build up' and hope they don't disappear, watch your stuff over a couple of months subscription plus have fast and included delivery over Christmas, then cancel again.

Netflix is more a  year round keeper. Although, there are times you could pause your subscription for a while, to do other things. The system remembers your data for quite a long period, so you can seamlessly resume. I am currently on a sabbatical from Netflix, as I've watched so much of their stuff and I have a HUGE actual discs backlog.

Edited by Cloth-Ears.

I have another show to recommend and a viewing quality tip.

Decently funny end of world comedy called, 

LAST MAN ON EARTH.

Well, actually he isn't and he finds company straight away. There's been a big virus and just about everyone and most critters are gone. Its a comedy, so you can forgive daft things like clear highways, lack of bodily mess and flies etc.  A lot of the comedy is fueled on his personality being pretty bad and his hilariously toady behaviours, added to by others with their own personality issues. After so many serious and depressing post-apocalyptic shows, this is refreshing and it is genuinely funny. Do you remember as a kid perhaps dreaming of what it would be like to run riot, doing whatever you want ? There's a lot of that in the show. 

The episodes are short - I think about 25 minutes. It would make an ideal with-breakfast slot - get a laugh with your tea and toast before you off to work perhaps.

Here's a trailer. The comedy about the annoying personalities and their clashing isn't shown but still, here's a trailer anyway

Edited by Cloth-Ears.

Now's the time

Hey folks, its mid November - time to subscribe for two or three months. Its only £7.99 and you can cancel. With Christmas coming up, you can benefit from Prime deliveries and don't forget about using Amazon Locker and other pick up points as alternatives to your address. Regarding Netflix, do remember that you can lapse your membership and resume later, with the system retaining your settings and lists for ten months. You don't have to be paying for two streaming services you have too little time to watch if you don't want to.

Viewing quality tip

I've said before, its all very well claiming 1080 res but that's only part of the picture picture. Frankly, it looks naff and washed out, full of noise.Well, one thing you can do to make it appear much better is ramp up settings on your tv, just when you are streaming. Manufacturers have differently named pre-packed settings. On my Panasonic I switched from 'Normal' to 'Dynamic' and my what a difference ! Try it. You can also do it manually of course.  If you want to analyse the picture for faults ( best not to ) I'm sure an informed person could list this or that issue but really, upping the preset to a normally in-your-face setting does the trick for overall satisfaction. It finally makes the overall experience pop. Streaming is far from perfect but for the convenience and the small money involved, hey its okay. I haven't tried it with Netflix yet, as I'm currently lapsed, but I think the effect would be similar.

Shows re-cap

Plenty to occupy your winter months. I give you my little suggestion list, now updated by the Last Man comedy

Outlander 4 seasons

Man in the High Castle  3 seasons.

Turn - Washington's Spies  4 seasons

Hell On Wheels   5 seasons

Revolution  2 seasons ( then graphic novels )

Last Man On Earth  4 seasons

There's my shows list, but remember there's a ton of good films too and plenty documentaries and talks to watch. 

Plus some music with Prime as well.

Additionally, with Prime ( and I only discovered this recently ) a long list of magazines digital editions to read which in paper form would otherwise cost a fortune. 

No I don't have shares in the company - I just like to put people onto good things ! Tis one of the reasons I come to forums.

Edited by Cloth-Ears.
  • Upvote 1

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 14:52, simon g said:

Bosch

Wife and I have been following Bosch. Find it to slow, and uneventful. Could have been condensed into one series.:(

11 minutes ago, jkbmusic said:

Wife and I have been following Bosch. Find it to slow, and uneventful. Could have been condensed into one series.:(

Not enough Bisch and Basch? 

• Haha 1

On 08/11/2016 at 14:52, simon g said:

Bosch

Loved the books, love the TV series.  Unlike some don't find in Pedestrian, enough time for character development.  Don't find the picture quality poor at all.  Agree with the comment on taking the trouble to set up your TV properly. The dynamic picture setting on Panasonic TV makes a massive difference.  On my Samsung TV there are several different picture settings, worth experimenting!  At £7.99 a month it's worth having and again as someone already said, it includes free deliveries on Amazon Prime.  Used to have Netflix, alright if you like Zombies and Werewolves.

American Gods

Good adaptation of Neil Gaiman's book, although as only one series so far not the whole book. The odd episode is pretty wonky as they stretch bits that would be a page or two into a whole episode for some reason but generally very enjoyable, and weird.

2 hours ago, Ron Hilditch said:

Used to have Netflix, alright if you like Zombies and Werewolves.

There is so much more on Netflix than that !  You could say the same about Amazon really, as it too has such shows. 

Netflix is clearly the superior between the two, for both range and the way it functions.

I just make a point of saying, Amazon is worth it too, for all the cost, but time it smart i.e. winter months and perhaps lapse the other during your short subscription.

I'll be cancelling my Amazon Prime probably in December. The only annoying thing about it is that Outlander episodes are coming piece meal, so if I was to stay for its completion it might be passed Spring before its finished. No, I think I'll just see those episodes next November ( sadly ) rather than pay for several pointless months. But for that my recent re-subscription to Amazon has been worthwhile to say the least. For £7.99 I will have my Christmas shopping delivered as priority and I will have seen Man in the High Castle and Last Man on Earth plus any other individual things that spark my attention. Not bad !

But I'll resume my Netflix subscription, as that is the main and best service. 

• Like 1