mosfet

Worth watching on Amazon Prime

15 minutes ago, Cloth-Ears. said:

There is so much more on Netflix than that !  You could say the same about Amazon really, as it too has such shows. 

Netflix is clearly the superior between the two, for both range and the way it functions.

I just make a point of saying, Amazon is worth it too, for all the cost, but time it smart i.e. winter months and perhaps lapse the other during your short subscription.

I'll be cancelling my Amazon Prime probably in December. The only annoying thing about it is that Outlander episodes are coming piece meal, so if I was to stay for its completion it might be passed Spring before its finished. No, I think I'll just see those episodes next November ( sadly ) rather than pay for several pointless months. But for that my recent re-subscription to Amazon has been worthwhile to say the least. For £7.99 I will have my Christmas shopping delivered as priority and I will have seen Man in the High Castle and Last Man on Earth plus any other individual things that spark my attention. Not bad !

But I'll resume my Netflix subscription, as that is the main and best service. 

Got to say it can take ages to find anything to watch on Amazon Prime.  Is the interface that bad?  Or is it because there is so much crap on offer?  Or is it me? Or a combination of all these things.  See there is going to be a Jack .Reacher series on either Netflix or Amazon.  If it's on Netflix, Il'l start using it again.

A good film to watch on Amazon, is The Commuter starring Liam Neesom.  Think it was only released in 2018, must have gone straight to Amazon.

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 17:50, jkbmusic said:

Wife and I have been following Bosch. Find it to slow, and uneventful. Could have been condensed into one series.:(

It was the prime reason [No pun intended] for subscribing to Amazon. Having read all the Bosch books I was eager to see what sort of a job they had made of this. The first season I was okay with, however subsequent seasons have proved unwatchable. As you say it is slow but not as slow as the Man in the High Castle. Some of the characters are a little distracting. Irvine Irving his wooden boss for one. Jesus, who on earth cast him a part. His daughter has become increasingly annoying and if he tilts his head at the camera once more I would gladly take an axe to it. Oh and how he handles a gun looks so comical. Sorry, it's a load of low grade pap.

They seldom get it right when televising something I've read. Rebus was a another example of a failure to transcribe the book to screen, in both attempts. Or perhaps it is how an individual perceives a book.

Edited by Pete the Feet

Got another one for you.

The recent dark comedy, Death of Stalin.

The look was impressive for the perceived authenticity of the place and era, the actor choice was a terrific for the respective roles, the humour indeed very black and while funny also coveyed the disgusting mentality that pervades the politics of regimes of this ilk.  Bookmark it in your list now before you forget.

Edited by Cloth-Ears.

As a kind of follow up to Death of Stalin, I will recommend this intriguing documentary about the life of Stalin's daughter, Svetlana, who eventually came to the west but was always followed around by her legacy and by those who would seek to exploit her in relation to that.

Satlin's Daughter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B07C7QPYYF/ref=pd_cbs_318_2

Have you all watched all of my recommendations ?
If not, hurry up then. 
Thumbs up on the Death of Stalin. Good call there. Some great actors cast in that.

Sent from my Sony Digimus Thingy using Crapatalk

Anyone seen Billie Botox Piper in Belle de Jour? Supposedly based on the true life memoirs of a call girl. She's a funny looking bird. Definitely a Bride of Wildenstein in the making.

Sent from my Sony Digimus Thingy using Crapatalk

Fog in August, a German film set in a sanatorium during the second World War. A young boy is committed to a sanatorium. He belongs to the Yentish vagrant class of society and he his healthy of both body and mind. The inmates are largely children of varying disabilities and the hospital director is undertaking the Nazi led euthanasia scheme. A sensitive film dealing with a horrifying subject and is based on a true story. Not your usual Hollywood pap.

51MeyLGg8zL._PI_PJPrime-Sash-Extra-Large

German stuff is often very absorbing.

I still maintain one of the best television dramas ever produced, is Heimat. If you haven't heard of this folks, do look into it as its just amazing. ( From Edgar Reitz, he of Berlin Alexanderplatz. )  Sophie Scholl was another good German ( film ) production.

None of the above are available on Amazon streaming, but were just worth mentioning in the context of German film.

There were three series of Heimat in different time periods. There are individual dvd sets for the UK, each expensive unfortunately, with the first one at £35. The third is at a whopping £80 on Amazon at the monement. If you can understand German very well there is an all three in one product for £80 but no English subs,  afaik/on given information. You can get this a bit cheaper on amazon.de b.t.w.  Perhaps the best option, at least for the first Heimat, is the limited edition bluray box I link below. Expensive I suppose, at £55, but it does contain goodies and importantly feedback confirms that the restoration ( done with the Edgar Reitz Foundation ) is stunningly good. For all the extra of £20 on top I'd go for that one. I am guessing Heimat 2 and Heimat 3 will become available later in similar Bluray releases, maybe. Heimat 2 is less good ( my view only ) in a sense but also is unique among the three and you may actually get well into it. This one focuses on the life of a central character who was a boy in the first series, now gone to Munich in the 1960s to study music. But you need to see this series to link to and understand Heimat 3, which was in its own way as enjoyable as the first seminal series. It is in H3 that you return to the various characters you missed since H1.

I suspect you could probably get your money back or even make a profit selling this on later. I recall years ago the first series of Heimat in its original dvd release became for a time a rarity and was selling for over £500 !  I don't think you'd want to sell this though, rather keep it to lend out to the trusted and to pass on to loved ones when you are a skeleton.

Restored Bluray Limited Edition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heimat-Limited-Blu-Ray-Marita-Breuer/dp/B074R3ZMZG/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1544946079&sr=1-1&keywords=heimat

Heimat: Limited Edition Boxset (Blu-Ray)

Warning :  on the Amazon page for this bluray there is also a dvd offered at £15.99, but this is a mistake - do not select !  It refers to a different project ( south American German settlements ). I've reported it to Amazon. The actual dvd alternative is this older release for £35.99 :

DVD 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heimat-Chronicle-Germany-Marita-Breuer/dp/B003H6Z19E/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1544947712&sr=1-2&keywords=heimat

But really if you're going to shell out to buy this, get the Bluray.

Edited by Cloth-Ears.

I noticed that you can see Last Resort for free with Prime.

Its an exciting action drama from 2012 involving a US nuclear missile submarine, given dubious orders to fire on Pakistan and when they refuse, they find themselves under attack by their own side and seek a place to hide ( all episode one so not a spoiler really ).

The show got canceled unfortunately by the fickle studio, but I'd glad to say that in this case, they honoured the audience by tying the show quite neatly to an end within that one season and did not leave it just abruptly stopped ( like Flash Forward, Revolution, etc, etc ).

I'd rate it a 7/10, kind of level, and part of this is the subject matter, which is always good to watch even if the drama or production quality isn't the best, not that this one lacks for much. It comes from the makers of The Shield. Certainly worthy of your time for all it is being one season.

Beat, a German subtitled crime based drama series set in a techno club. If you don't like techno and the general club type vibe then stick with the first episode as it gets better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bonus-BEAT-Season-Official-Trailer/dp/B07HJGTML2/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1546964437&sr=1-1&keywords=beat