No frills Windows?

misterpete

I am thinking of setting up a headless server using an Intel NUC, I need an operating system but don't feel comfortable using Linux or Ubuntu so I am wondering if there is a no frills simplified version of Windows I could use? Any recommendations or advice would be welcomed.

Don't be wary of Linux, we all had to start somewhere with it, besides nowadays it's just as easy to use as with Windows.

Go with Ubuntu or an Ubuntu based distro for ease of use, I myself use LinuxMint for server duties (minimserver installed for UPNP).

Plenty of help on the Ubuntu forums if you get stuck.

• Upvote 1

Many thanks for your input Richard, I will do some research!

Assuming it's just being for streaming music, Windows will run fine on some pretty low-powered machines. If you're wanting a box that's too low spec to run this well, though, I'd go for a Linux distro rather than trying to fiddle with Windows (which may prove more hassle than using Linux!) If you're saving money with a low spec NUC, it also seems a shame to then be upping the price with a Windows license.

If the Windows machine isn't on the internet, then XP works well, is stable, and can be picked up almost anywhere for free now that it's out of support. I use XP on a PC used as a 'tape' recorder for recording and editing, but it doesn't go on the internet ever.

S

The Intel NUCs I have been looking at are all decent spec, 8-16gb Ram 3i processors etc all suitable for Win 8 or 10 but I just thought a more basic OS would be suitable as it will probably just be running Roon core. Ideally something like a Raspberry Pi would be ideal but I just don't know where to start with one and I am a bit long in the tooth to start learning!

I have a broken laptop with a windows 7 starter edition license that I'm not using. I've even got a win 7 starter iso that I can burn to disk.

If that's any good drop me a pm.

• Upvote 1

If you go with Windows, have a look at Fidelizer. It kills all the superfluous stuff, allowing the system to get on with playing music.

The Intel NUCs I have been looking at are all decent spec, 8-16gb Ram 3i processors etc all suitable for Win 8 or 10 but I just thought a more basic OS would be suitable as it will probably just be running Roon core. Ideally something like a Raspberry Pi would be ideal but I just don't know where to start with one and I am a bit long in the tooth to start learning!

That's more than adequate to run Windows. Worth checking out Roon suggested specs - more demanding than I expected!

If you're going for something that runs Roon Core on a headless server, then take the RoonServer download. You don't need full Roon on a headless machine. And Roon Server (or Roon Core) will NOT run on a Raspberry Pi. Not enough uumph. Raspberry Pis make ideal Roon endpoints though, in combination with a HAT board such as IQaudIO or HiFiBerry products. I've got two in my setup and they're great.

I'm like you, a Linux noob, so I prefer to run RoonServer on my Windows headless server. However, since Roon version 1.2 was released a week or two ago, there are now builds for Linux, so it can be done.

• Upvote 1

If you're interested, this is where I've currently got to in our home setup.

Of course, I can't leave well enough alone, so now I'm planning to split out the RoonServer and Domoticz (Home Automation) systems from the Windows 10 Headless Server, and transfer them to an Intel NUC 6i3SYH (uses less power). The Windows 10 headless server I will return to Windows Home Server 2011 for support of Plex/Emby and PC client backups. It will be sleeping unless the HTPC is on, or during the night for taking backups of the other computers in the house.

• Upvote 1

Very impressive Geoff, you obviously have more of a grasp on this stuff than me.