Barnboy

Modifying an Oppo 105

Hi

Has anyone had any experience of modifying an Oppo 105 with a bias to improving the 2 channel audio side from CD/SACD or Hi Res files

I have been online and there seem to be a number of services available and I wondered if anyone had feedback about who did what best andmainly was there a big difference in the replay before I do any mullering ofthe kit.

PS I am not that handy with a soldering iron so home mods would have to be limited

Only thing done so far is the addition of a decent powercable.

Tried many XLR cables (> £1700)for balance output and settled for RCA as I couldn’t make out differenceto my MITs

Thanks in advance

Not sure I would bother. The BD105 sounds pretty good as standard and the Audiocom Signature Mods cost about £2000 more than the player.

I know someone that has auditioned the Audiocom, but didn't buy one, although he said it was sonically 'better' than a standard BDP105.

I would expect another DAC fed from the BDP105 will give more flexibility, but again sonic differences are likely to be subtle. Imo

Not sure I would bother. The BD105 sounds pretty good as standard and the Audiocom Signature Mods cost about £2000 more than the player.

I know someone that has auditioned the Audiocom, but didn't buy one, although he said it was sonically 'better' than a standard BDP105.

I would expect another DAC fed from the BDP105 will give more flexibility, but again sonic differences are likely to be subtle. Imo

yep, £2000 would get you a very fine DAC esp if you consider S/H

I'd consider trading it in. Obviously your already pleased with the Oppo. I believe the Primare BD32 OS is same as the Oppo but it's hardware is all audiophile spec.

I am amazed from the sound from mine. There's a Mark 1 in dealer classified. Only main difference from Mark 2 is it doesn't upscale video to 4K. Which you can do with an add on DVDO scaler for a few hundred quid. And would still be cheaper than the Signature Mods upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm I still Have the TriVista DAC but the Primare might be interesting, I'm not to worried about AV, it is the Audio side and sort of Digital Swiss Knife centre I like

Thanks for the information guys most helpful

I checked out the Primare Mk1 as suggested but it doesn't use Sabre Dac chipsets and its £1850 . Some ofthe Mod packages were less than this. I agree adding £2k to the bill doesn't make sense but £750 is a better figure!

I'm wondering about trying a Chord Mojo /Hugo

I checked out the Primare Mk1 as suggested but it doesn't use Sabre Dac chipsets and its £1850.

I wouldn't worry that it doesn't use Sabre chips. The Primare is a properly and excellently executed bit of kit based on the Oppo platform. Its analogue outputs are first class and CD / SACD / bluray all sound excellent. All in one box. What more do you want, unless you've a bottomless pocket ? The MkII is £3 500. A MkI, which as Deebee says, is basically the same apart from the video side, at £1 850 is a pretty good bargain.

I have one, and a "lowly" Oppo 103. In terms of sound, they're nowhere near.

I checked out the Primare Mk1 as suggested but it doesn't use Sabre Dac chipsets and its £1850 . Some ofthe Mod packages were less than this. I agree adding £2k to the bill doesn't make sense but £750 is a better figure!

Can you get your dealer to bring a few DACs for auditioning or even better - hold a bake off and invite people to bring their DACs. Might give you a better indication in what direction you can go.

I've been considering the bakeoff idea as my last clearout sale revealed many local wammers.

I've been considering the bakeoff idea as my last clearout sale revealed many local wammers.

Great idea Nigel, sometimes other peoples opinions get you thinking and sometimes their kit makes you decide what to do with your own kit.

Plus you make new friends. :^

I couldn't recommend the Chord Hugo more highly. An absolutely stunning DAC.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Going back to the origin thought of modding, I'd say go for it.

No need to spend 2K on mods...

http://www.oppomod.com

Getting a linear psu, upgraded dac board and couple of other smaller things done to my 103D soon.

All you need mate, this Company gets fantastic write ups on the American AV forums for their work on Oppo players.

Hi Nigel,

I was listening to my 105D the other night having recently updated my pre-amp. I listened to two things primarily:

Mary Black Live = LPCM soundtrack, processed into surround by the 105; and

Elton John = DTS 5.1 (I think), processed by 105D.

The sound quality was stunningly good, and had taken a big step up on the main channels care of the new pre.

I mention all of this as I suspect that even in standard fettle I have been not experiencing all it has to deliver. If you are feeling dissatisfied I would try an demo anything that tempts you, and consider spending the money elsewhere on your system.

M

:^

As above Don't dick with it...Especially for ludricous costs. These work well... oem.

It's typically the downstream gear that is the bottleneck

IMO spend the coin on music or possibly upgrading your other system bits... if you must.

Hi Barnboy,

Did you go the mod route? I only ask as my Naim NS01 died last weekend so I have been using my unmodded Oppo as a stop gap. In fact I am using this and the internal DACs into my EAR amps via the balanced outputs.

Placed into stereo mode, fixed output & pure audio.

I am very impressed.

M