Naimkiller

Ekco EV55SE any thoughts never heard of them

I'm selling my cd player at the moment,and speaking to the protenional new owner he has pointed out this amp I've never heard of them but a dealer no names is selling them at a reduced price saving a good deal on rrp price, any one got one or at least heard one I'm intrigued......

Some details below. Made by IAG in China I believe. Think it's overpriced even at the discount price.

The EV55SE Valve Integrated amplifier is the first vintage tube electronics product from EKCO. Designed as a Class AB Push-Pull amplifier, the EV55SE offers a choice between 28Watts RMS per channel at Triode mode and 55Watts RMS per channel at Ultra-linear mode. It comes with five (5) RCA inputs and A/B option selective loudspeaker outputs into 8 Ohms, controllable via the included remote control.

The KT88 is a beam tetrode vacuum tube that fits a standard eight-pin ceramic octal socket; designed specifically for audiophile amplification, it is one of the most popular tubes in its class and is capable of handling very high plate voltages up to 800V. A pair of KT88 in push-pull Class AB fixed bias has a maximum output of up to 55W at low distortion.Amplification

Working in Class AB Push-Pull Operation, the EV55SE is fitted with a switch that allows it to change from Triode mode, producing 28W RMS per channel, into Ultralinear mode producing 55W RMS per channel. In Ultralinear mode the output impedance is lowered to offer a damping factor about twice that achieved with a triode, distortion is lowered to approach the ultimate achieved with a triode tube, and the power output is increased to near the maximum available from pentode.

[TABLE=class: tb]

[TR]

[TD]Valves:[/TD]

[TD]4 x KT88; 1 x 12AX7; 4 x 12AU7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Output Power:[/TD]

[TD]Ultralinear Mode: 55W / 8 ohms

Triode Mode: 28W / 8 ohms[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Input Sensitivity:[/TD]

[TD]Ultralinear Mode: 300mV RMS for 55W / 8 ohms (Max Fb)

Triode Mode: 300mV RMS for 28W / 8 ohms (Max Fb)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Frequency Response:[/TD]

[TD]20Hz to 30kHz ± 1dB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]THD:[/TD]

[TD]≤ 1% at 1kHz (Ultralinear Mode / Triode Mode)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Hum and Noise:[/TD]

[TD]Ultralinear Mode: >90dB 55W / 8 ohms (Max Fb)

Triode Mode: >90dB 28W / 8 ohms (Max Fb)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dimensions[/TD]

[TD](D) 441mm x (W) 356mm x (H) 236mm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gross Weight

[/TD]

[TD]

28kg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Some details below. Made by IAG in China I believe. Think it's overpriced even at the discount price.

The EV55SE Valve Integrated amplifier is the first vintage tube electronics product from EKCO. Designed as a Class AB Push-Pull amplifier, the EV55SE offers a choice between 28Watts RMS per channel at Triode mode and 55Watts RMS per channel at Ultra-linear mode. It comes with five (5) RCA inputs and A/B option selective loudspeaker outputs into 8 Ohms, controllable via the included remote control.

The KT88 is a beam tetrode vacuum tube that fits a standard eight-pin ceramic octal socket; designed specifically for audiophile amplification, it is one of the most popular tubes in its class and is capable of handling very high plate voltages up to 800V. A pair of KT88 in push-pull Class AB fixed bias has a maximum output of up to 55W at low distortion.Amplification

Working in Class AB Push-Pull Operation, the EV55SE is fitted with a switch that allows it to change from Triode mode, producing 28W RMS per channel, into Ultralinear mode producing 55W RMS per channel. In Ultralinear mode the output impedance is lowered to offer a damping factor about twice that achieved with a triode, distortion is lowered to approach the ultimate achieved with a triode tube, and the power output is increased to near the maximum available from pentode.

[TABLE=class: tb]

[TR]

[TD]Valves:[/TD]

[TD]4 x KT88; 1 x 12AX7; 4 x 12AU7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Output Power:[/TD]

[TD]Ultralinear Mode: 55W / 8 ohms

Triode Mode: 28W / 8 ohms[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Input Sensitivity:[/TD]

[TD]Ultralinear Mode: 300mV RMS for 55W / 8 ohms (Max Fb)

Triode Mode: 300mV RMS for 28W / 8 ohms (Max Fb)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Frequency Response:[/TD]

[TD]20Hz to 30kHz ± 1dB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]THD:[/TD]

[TD]≤ 1% at 1kHz (Ultralinear Mode / Triode Mode)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Hum and Noise:[/TD]

[TD]Ultralinear Mode: >90dB 55W / 8 ohms (Max Fb)

Triode Mode: >90dB 28W / 8 ohms (Max Fb)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dimensions[/TD]

[TD](D) 441mm x (W) 356mm x (H) 236mm[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gross Weight

[/TD]

[TD]

28kg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Cheers for the reply Mr.me, on paper then they look good and you say made in China is that a bad thing? They had good reviews yes there full of shit as normal but when they buy said item does that seal the carrot... Still looks the part

Hi Fi World tested it a couple of years ago, will look it out and report back.

Hi Fi World tested it a couple of years ago, will look it out and report back.

:^

many good things made in china . will soon be tannoy too !!

puresound amps made in china and they are beautiful

you say made in China is that a bad thing?

Not necessarily, there are good and bad. I'm sure it's a fine amp but I just think that you can do better for your money.

My Prima Luna is made in China and it has been flawless and great sounding for over six years now... However, there used to be a big gap between Western designed and manufactured under western supervision and made by unknown Chinese companies.

- - - Updated - - -

My Prima Luna is made in China and it has been flawless and great sounding for over six years now... However, there used to be a big gap between Western designed and manufactured under western supervision and made by unknown Chinese companies.

Ekco Ev55se valve Amplifier.....Build quality: astonishing! Sound quality: amazing! What do I base this on? I have purchased said amp and I am "absolutely delighted" with it.....period.

If this is cheap, overpriced chinese tosh then bring it on....more of the same please. :stereo:

you say made in China is that a bad thing?

Matter of personal perspective. Personally, I wouldn't buy hifi equipment made in China where there's an alternative from a European or US manufacturer.

It'll be made in China because it's

a] based on an existing Chinese product and rebadged (often more than once under different names) for the export market, or

b] because some bean counter's figured out that it's cheaper to build it in China than elsewhere (though that may be changing, so it might well prove a short-term win but a long-term disaster).

Personally I'd find it hard to associate any pride in ownership with Chinese manufacture, regardless of whose badge is on it.

But then I'm a bit old-fashioned, I like my Japanese or British or US hifi actually manufactured in Japan, Britain or the US and in truth have more respect for the companies who do manufacture 'where they're supposed to.'

But obviously other points of view are available.

Ekco Ev55se valve Amplifier.....Build quality: astonishing! Sound quality: amazing! What do I base this on? I have purchased said amp and I am "absolutely delighted" with it.....period.

If this is cheap, overpriced chinese tosh then bring it on....more of the same please. :stereo:

Sounds to me your more than happy with the amp?

And for £999, canny really go wrong,

How did it compare to the unision you had ?

Hard to say at the moment Shan as It s only had approx five hours running time so it's got a long way to go before its properly run in but if the overall sound I'm getting is anything to go by it will better the Unison and that's coming from a big Unison fan.

One thing to remember is Ekco is a very old and respected British valve electronics company based in Huntingdon Cambridgeshire and yes their products are assembled in China as are many British, European and American companies.

Going back to the EV55se, it was designed totally in Britain by a British audio engineer so talk of it maybe being a re-badged Chinese amp is rubbish quite frankly. All the reviews you find on the EV55se describes it as being a British Amplifier and that Ekco is now part of the IAG group but so is Luxman, Quad and Audiolab! The only reason it is being sold at £999 is because Richard at Harrow did a one off deal for a few amps and Cd players but when these are gone the price will be back up to their usual rrp Of £1700 and at that I consider them a bargain.

Of course the above statement is entirely my own personal opinion but is is based on fact not conjecture and I am over the moon with the Ekco which is what really matters don't you think....

One thing to remember is Ekco is a very old and respected British valve electronics company based in Huntingdon Cambridgeshire

No, that's bollocks.

Ekco was a very old and respected British company, but it mets its demise a very long time ago. 1970s I'd guess.

IAG uses a number of brand names in a manner which is meant to evoke a legacy which doesn't belong to the current incarnation of the brand. It's a pretty cynical marketing approach in my opinion.

Your item may well be a decent enough amp, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with the original Ekco company. Bolting a couple of bits of an old Rover dashboard to it no more makes it a British amplifier than eating stir-fried rice yesterday makes me Chinese.

No, that's bollocks.

Ekco was a very old and respected British company, but it mets its demise a very long time ago. 1970s I'd guess.

IAG uses a number of brand names in a manner which is meant to evoke a legacy which doesn't belong to the current incarnation of the brand. It's a pretty cynical marketing approach in my opinion.

Your item may well be a decent enough amp, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with the original Ekco company. Bolting a couple of bits of an old Rover dashboard to it no more makes it a British amplifier than eating stir-fried rice yesterday makes me Chinese.

Wow strong reply!! I was just really after advice on the amp its self not the political back ground of IAG, not bothered, as someone pointed out move with the times! Good or bad, we sort of moved of topic, back on topic apart from itsthewulef has anyone else heard one got one, love the look of them I'm guessing one could tube roll!? Cheers

Wow strong reply!! I was just really after advice on the amp its self not the political back ground of IAG, not bothered, as someone pointed out move with the times! Good or bad, we sort of moved of topic, back on topic apart from itsthewulef has anyone else heard one got one, love the look of them I'm guessing one could tube roll!? Cheers

You asked for opinions on whether Chinese manufacture was a bad thing or not.

And now you've got some. ;-)