terataz

Time to upgrade - weak link in the chain

I rate the 2M Blue as an excellent cartridge for it's price and quite capable, and I'm getting the good results through a budget Cambridge pre-amp. You would probably have to spend a minimum of double to get any significant improvement. The Denon is good but it sounds "scaled down" against the 2M Blue. Could you have an arm issue?

I definitely didnt have an arm issue. The 2M can be bettered for less than its price tag with any of the Nagaoka range, its a really dull cartridge. The Denon is a big step up from it (sounds like you might have an arm issue with yours if you didnt find that), but even still, I don't particularly like the Denon either but if it was a choice between the two, I'd happily use the Denon, and stamp on the 2M Blue - would get far more pleasure out of it doing that :)

I definitely didnt have an arm issue. The 2M can be bettered for less than its price tag with any of the Nagaoka range, its a really dull cartridge. The Denon is a big step up from it (sounds like you might have an arm issue with yours if you didnt find that), but even still, I don't particularly like the Denon either but if it was a choice between the two, I'd happily use the Denon, and stamp on the 2M Blue - would get far more pleasure out of it doing that :)

I disagree my ears much preferred the 2M Blue, very even handed reproducing music as intended. I think it is much nicer to listen to than the similar priced Nagaoka's

Changing the transducers in the signal path will lead to the biggest improvements - speakers would give the biggest bang per buck improvement, followed by the cartridge

I was going to mention speakers too. The top three posts cover it though.

Definitely speakers.

How big is the room and how close to walls will speakers need to go. I'm assuming the Trafomatic is the 6550 version.

Either way these are brilliant speakers and should be well within budget.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revel-M22-Speakers-with-Original-Stands-/172190759641?hash=item28175e7ad9:g:Z30AAOSw2GlXJ1xp

I disagree my ears much preferred the 2M Blue, very even handed reproducing music as intended. I think it is much nicer to listen to than the similar priced Nagaoka's

Changing the transducers in the signal path will lead to the biggest improvements - speakers would give the biggest bang per buck improvement, followed by the cartridge

I agree, had a Nagaoka MP110, then an Orty 2M Red on my Techie a while back and the 2M Red was quite a lot better than the Nag, however different strokes for different folks.:geek:

Thanks everyone for the wonderful insights. Let me summarize, in order of what I feel will improve the sound the most.

1. Room treatment: i agree this will give excellent results, but hard to implement atm (think wife/rented property/space/knowledge). Rodney Gold, did you have something simple&easy in mind?

2. Speakers: Love those Revel unclepuncle. At 85db I fear they will need a more power than the 40W of my Trafomatic 6550. Any other suggestions? Living/listening room is around 3.5m x 6m btw.

3. Arm: I agree. The standard one of the 1210 is less than excellent, especially if heavily used like mine. Will look into Jelco / SME et similar. Thanks Andrei, CageyH , deejaitch .

4. Cartridge: quite happy with my 2m Blue, but I have to agree i expected more from it. A possible future upgrade.

5. Matt/Clamp/Phono: In the future maybe. In this optic I'm looking into a cheap system to clean my vinyls (I mostly buy second hands).

Last but not least the glorious comment of Des. How could I not agree??

I'd look at Usher 718, Proac, PMC, etc. All three listed outperformed the B&W685 in my auditioning a few years ago. On the other hand, if you like the B&W sound, why not look at 684 and 683? All these should be within budget S/H.

Starting at the front I'd put in unswitched sockets for every piece of kit.

It works. Dead cheap and not expensive if you have to get a sparky in