Magico S5 and a bit of madness

steelhull

I am sure that this post will generate some angst!

I have been thinking of changing my system. No good reason but there are a number of options that I haven't tried; horns and valves for instance. I posted a while ago about low power valve amps.

This afternoon I was in my favourite Oxford dealer talking about the Entreq range of earthing equipment, I have the Tellus silver on trial and to my surprise it really makes a difference, especially in the bass arena, more anon about that.

on Demo were the Magico S5 loudspeakers driven by a Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 800 amp. Both ex dem and asking !! £34k. It was just fantastic, quite the best that I have ever heard. The front end was an Aurender W20 and the music was amazing.

i am sure that the asking price will drop and I have kit to trade in, but the cost of change would be serious.

I am trying hard to resist, it might mean another mortgage, but wow!

Not at all what I was thinking of, this could be a sleepless night.

Anyone heard the Magico's?

Mike

I've only ever heard Magicos at the Windsor show and they lived up to the hype. Crazily expensive and don't look their value (IMO), but their performance can do no wrong. However, the TADs and Wilson Alexias were just as good.

We are all only here for a visit Steve So I'd say go for it !

I would just add,have a good listen to a pair of Tad Reference series first before parting with you cash

I've only ever heard Magicos at the Windsor show and they lived up to the hype. Crazily expensive and don't look their value (IMO), but their performance can do no wrong. However, the TADs and Wilson Alexias were just as good.

Agree the TAD are worth a listen but also a must are the Estelon XA and XB

I love the sound of the S5s Mike. I have heard them several times both with Devialet and Constellation amps.

Personally I don't like the styling as much as the "Q" range, but they are less expensive.

The state of the art drive units and attention to lack of cabinet talk make these one of the lowest colouration speakers out there IMO.

yes me too , I love the s5 magico and would have a pair if I could afford 35K !!!!

there is a pair of magico v2 at midland audio which look lovely too but no doubt not as good as the s5 !!

audio emotion have the nu vista 800 at a very reasonable price and I would love to hear that too !

Mike, I have a lot of experience with Entreq if I can help. I use Poseidon and Olympus Minimus with Atlantis cables and have tried pretty much the whole range in numerous combinations. The Silver Tellus is a great intro item but the rewards come with the top-of-the-range stuff. Annoyingly £££ but hey. Once sampled the Silver Tellus will be toast. I also looked seriously at Magico S5s recently. But was put off by reliability and spare parts concerns - although they may be ill-founded. TAD CA-1, E1 and Wilson Sacha II get my more conservative vote.

weight puts me off , they are extremely heavy . I am rather pleased my current speaker comes in 2 boxes and I think that's pretty much all the way up the line

verity audio . when I start moving up again it will probably be in that direction because they are rather special .

Sounds like a lot of money. You can buy secondhand Wilson Sashas for £14k (2 currently available from dealers at that price or less). Personally I think they are a better bet and you would lose less on resale.

Thanks guys for all the comments and the PM's.

No decisions yet, more thought needed. I could spend a year, and a fortune travelling and listening. It would be fun to do but I doubt that I will be permitted!

just spent the day reordering the music room, it had become a tip. Looks good but there's a ton of stuff in the spare bedroom; that will cause problems.

New speakers will now fit rather easily, hmmm...........

Mike

wow that's a temptation .

hope it sounds good as I am sure it will