john steer

cartridges

What are peoples views on these cartridges please a zyx r100 or zyx bloom or a audio technica art 9.At the moment i use a zyx rs30 and i am going to change and would like opinions on these

Many Thanks John

I had a R50 Bloom (both H & L versions) and it is one of my favourite carts, If you can afford it the R100 I would choose that any day of the week over AT (I don't like them)

The Hana SL seems to be getting good reviews at the moment but no idea how it compares to the ZYX.

The R100 is much better than the Bloom, I also had the Bloom with a TE microgroove and the two work really well together, if you like the TE then another cart to consider is the Benz Micro Ace SL which I also had in the setup below.

Tried to zoom in but you should be able to just make out the Bloom cart and TE microgroove :)

27057908652_b8f8775524_o.pngZYX by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

19806715519_6c40807d1e_c.jpgUntitled by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

I've got the 0.24mv r100 and think it's lovely. Plenty of detail, nice top end and seems quite fast and agile, without ever being tiring.

You're welcome to have a listen if you're ever up near Derby.

Hello John

I used to have a R50 for almost 2 months until my lovely wife destroyed accidently and then i bought a r100 fuji and still using it apprx for 60 hours on it.

Before r50 i used to have a denon 103R.

After 103r R50 totally had changed my world on vinyl. Clarity, details, instrument seperation and tracking has significantly improved. If that accident hadnt happend propaply ı was still using it.

But please keep in mind zyx has much laid back presentation than denon 103. If you like to hear the music playing on to your face than this might not be your pick.

R100 Fuji is not totally different world than r50. Quite similar in terms of sound characteristics in general but it has significantly more bass and tracks also better. Sounds very natural not analitical or warm side.

It completely finished my tracking issue,no sibbilant voices anymore.

I havent tried any AT carts so cant compare.

Hope this helps on your decision

Regards

The ART9 is a superb cartridge. A few of us heard it at the Stylus show a few weeks ago in a great system set up by Vinyl Passion and it was the basis of great analogue system. Don't be put off by a few uninformed opinions of AT by people who heard an OC9 years ago.