Sign in to follow this  
Bazzer

The Euros 2016

Super Wammer

Possibly not the right thread but going to float this suggestion out anyway . After looking at most of the teams that have done well in this Euro's when we come to appoint a new England Manager I suggest we make it part of his appointment that he is not allowed to choose any player from the Premier league. Our team should only consist of Championship Players and below . Chances are they will have much less of an ego than our current squad , they will be truly delighted to play for their country and they will be happy to work as a team and to a system . Currently on paper our squad of players looks as strong as any in the Tournament yet the do not play as a team nor can they seem to follow simple instructions. We lost the first goal for Iceland because these players will not do the basics of marking up correctly and following instructions I am sure they were given .

Just maybe if we use less talented but more team oriented players we could at least make a stab at being a good side rather than good players . Given the downgrade we would also instil a feeling in the country of much lower expectation and then we could let the team enjoy hero status as the Irish and Northern Ireland players are getting just for getting out of their group . You never know we might just be a better England Side .

Possibly not the right thread but going to float this suggestion out anyway . After looking at most of the teams that have done well in this Euro's when we come to appoint a new England Manager I suggest we make it part of his appointment that he is not allowed to choose any player from the Premier league. Our team should only consist of Championship Players and below . Chances are they will have much less of an ego than our current squad , they will be truly delighted to play for their country and they will be happy to work as a team and to a system . Currently on paper our squad of players looks as strong as any in the Tournament yet the do not play as a team nor can they seem to follow simple instructions. We lost the first goal for Iceland because these players will not do the basics of marking up correctly and following instructions I am sure they were given .

Just maybe if we use less talented but more team oriented players we could at least make a stab at being a good side rather than good players . Given the downgrade we would also instil a feeling in the country of much lower expectation and then we could let the team enjoy hero status as the Irish and Northern Ireland players are getting just for getting out of their group . You never know we might just be a better England Side .

I had this exact same thought! Great idea.. We love underdogs, it's win win.

It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous.....

standing from outside, it is always interesting to see the expectations from the english squad. as far as i can see, a reality is that england has some of the good young talent but most of the average players and this is also clear from the premier league where the foreigners are the key to the success, with a few exemptions that can't be used to achieve something similar on an international scale. england is pretty much a fading football empire when it comes to the national teams. that said, i don't think that superior teams such as germany, france, italy or even now dismissed croatia would lose from iceland and that's something completely new and unexpected, though i would blame it on some very weak spots in english defense, including joe hart who may look reliable if surrounded by kompany, mangala, zabaleta and other players above a level of the national team but in reality is just another average, well, joe.

standing from outside, it is always interesting to see the expectations from the english squad. as far as i can see, a reality is that england has some of the good young talent but most of the average players and this is also clear from the premier league where the foreigners are the key to the success, with a few exemptions that can't be used to achieve something similar on an international scale. england is pretty much a fading football empire when it comes to the national teams. that said, i don't think that superior teams such as germany, france, italy or even now dismissed croatia would lose from iceland and that's something completely new and unexpected, though i would blame it on some very weak spots in english defense, including joe hart who may look reliable if surrounded by kompany, mangala, zabaleta and other players above a level of the national team but in reality is just another average, well, joe.

Go back to your own country! Oh, hang on you are there. :doh::D

Unfortunately Joe hasn't been surrounded by Kompany very much recently, and Mangala might be reliable one day. But apart from that you may have a point. Damn you!

And using only players from lower divisions couldn't work. I mean, if that were true, teams like Leicester could do well!

I now hope Iceland win the Euros, then we could say we were only beaten by the winners. (This straw I'm clutching is getting slippery.)

Possibly not the right thread but going to float this suggestion out anyway . After looking at most of the teams that have done well in this Euro's when we come to appoint a new England Manager I suggest we make it part of his appointment that he is not allowed to choose any player from the Premier league. Our team should only consist of Championship Players and below .

Exactly mu thoughts last night...

He's been terrible & should've been dropped after the Wales game.
Two better keepers never got a chance to play.

England were doomed the moment Woy announced the squad he was taking to France.

I watched the misery in a restaurant in a small fishing village in north west Iceland. There was incredible support for the "underdogs" from this tiny community but they were most gracious when they stuffed us. What made it worse was that there were two Germans in the room.

Dreadful footie in 3 matches last Saturday (though well done NI-almost tactics vs Wales)/enjoyable 3 matches esp. garden of Eden on Sunday.

I confess utterly that I am to blame for England's B. exit because I bought 4 PINT cans of Carlsberg to accompany Italy-Eng on Monday (official Euro lager-beer ...). Last time I did something similar Carlsberg-unwise was in 2014 when C. were England footie-sponsors in Bra. ...

The lagery-beer was ok-smooth-ok value.

Now we can enjoy rest of tournament, we hope.

Well done not liked by me fine-scorer Port Ron./his team/Iceland/etc. Hazard was magic/no alcohol required Sunday (or Tues or Thurs ...) ...

As people have noted, Hazard took most of season off, so was slightly refreshed for this summer's tourney ...

Why do people get so upset by English since .... - I would pick about 30 people from beginning of season/nurture them to perform at max. in summer, then not be surprised if they scored less than opposition ...

Thunderclap Newman 1970 ('Accidents') =

'Life is just a game

It is a paper plane

There is no aim' ...

AND we need an English (not just Northampton Euro-brewery) to sponsor us - e.g. Shep. Neame 'Spitfire' ...

I think you need to ease up on the Carlsberg :pint:. Probably not the best stimulant in the world ;-).

Bobby Charlton was asked how he thought the England team of '66 would have fared against Iceland. " I think we'd have won 1-0 " he replied. "Only 1-0?" Said the reporter. "Yes," said Bobby. "Most of us are in our 70's now!" ��

Copied from elsewhere:cool:

Unfortunately Joe hasn't been surrounded by Kompany very much recently, and Mangala might be reliable one day.

Speaking of Kompany - It seems he not in the Belgian squad - is he injured again, ingrown toenail, astrologers advice, doesn't like the Belgian uniform, thinks he needs a visa to France, disapproves of De Bruyne's hairstyle??