bencat

Wammers Album Club Tues 14th June , Black , Black

I don't often post on hear, but I like this, a bit Richard Hawley I feel

Confusing. According Wikipedia, there are two albums called Black. 1987 and 1991 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_(singer) Plus Googling 'Black Black' doesn't help much...

Will see if I can find album on YouTube, otherwise will do the tracks posted by Barney above.

Confusing. According Wikipedia, there are two albums called Black. 1987 and 1991 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_(singer) Plus Googling 'Black Black' doesn't help much...

Will see if I can find album on YouTube, otherwise will do the tracks posted by Barney above.

Its the 1991 album the 1987 album was released by his former record label cashing in on his later success and comprises of some early singles and was never released on CD.

51Cq8r04t5L._SX425_.jpg

Guest MJ.

This is just not my thing AT ALL I am afraid.

Learning How to Hate was bearable and the lyrics on Fly Up to the Moon were OK but the rest was poor.

No originality, no real talent as far as I could tell. Sort of K-Tel meets charity shop record bin material.

I listened to it through because of the effort that Barry put in to making it available to us and to keeping the WAC afloat, otherwise I don't think I would have managed to.

Sorry but just not for me.

Gave it a bash. It is beyond limp really. Excessively flaccid perhaps? I'll give it M'eh out of 5.

I had a brief sample of the vids above. Afraid I have to go with the majority above and say was pretty poor.

The melodies weren't very strong so it all seemed very MOR and forgettable.

Super Wammer

Thank you to everyone that gave their time and listened to this music , your view of good bad or indifferent is all valid and I am happy that some other people gave this a try .

Super Wammer

I have this album & Two Churches, which I think is the follow up album. I really like the tone of his voice, & although I wouldn't call myself a huge fan when I am in the mood I really enjoy listening to him.

Ok, so it is not cutting edge but IMO he was a polished performer & it is a shame we will not hear more of his work.

Robin, sorry, Im a bit late to this thread.

I have a nice copy of this in my Cast Offs pile. Its yours. See you soon.

Ta Brian, see you very soon mate

Just picked this up.  Sad to hear CV died.

I love the first 2 Black CDs 'Wonderful Life' and 'Comedy'  lost touch since them, so also a bit confused about which LP or compilation was under review. 

But I think CV had a great resonant voice and his instrumentations were superb. 

My wife was recently playing "Now You're Gone" from ?Comedy , which musically is more than interesting, with the chamber quartet lead and Pizzacato strings adding great rhythm.  To my mind, very few pop songs works just with strings.   Colin Bluntstone "say you don't mind"   And Beatles "elenor Rigby' spring to mind, as does "now you're gone"  

"Ravel in the Rain" sets him apart with a great double bass a la Danny Thompson, and a meliflous  Martin Green sax solo, under pinning a haunting and atmospheric melody.  Worth 4 minutes of anyone's time.

Looking at the CV/black web site, I see I have some catching up to do.

RIP

Sorry it's late only just catching up with the wac. I always thought Colin had a great voice and should of done better. 

A classic for me was this.

https://youtu.be/VNNTKZ4hEyw

Edited by Hap Hazzard