ThELiZ

Art Illusion Loudspeakers - Modifications?

First off, I'm a total newbie when it comes to DIY speakers, so please excuse any silly questions.

I picked up a pair of Art loudspeakers a couple weeks back from eBay. They were collection only and I managed to snag them for £160. I thought it was worth a punt as the cabinets seemed nice and the footprint was right for my room. The only thing is that I could find absolutely no information on these speakers. They are called 'Illusion'. The chap I bought them off moved down from Scotland and said he got them from the factory. I've no way of knowing these are legit or not (Art never got back to me)... But, they sound really good and were just what I needed in my room.

I thought I'd take a look at what drivers they are using and found the following:

HF - SEAS 19 TFF (H586-8ohm)

MF - P14RCY/TV (H503-08ohm)

I can find some info on the units online, but all I know is that they are a vintage design.

So here is my n00b question... Can I upgrade the MF/HF units with newer designs? Is it possible to find a 'drop in' that won't require any mods to the crossover? Or, could I use this as an experiment to learn about DIY speakers/crossovers and use the cabinet as a starting point?

Thanks!

Here are some piccies...

05bd32491195294.jpg 04233e491195332.jpg 6ce7bd491195358.jpg dacdc0491195391.jpg c3cd76491195406.jpg

Show us the crossovers. That is where your best potential for an improvement is. If you go for new drive units it is quite possible you may need to design a new crossover anyway. Also how good is the cabinet? Again what you are trying to achieve will be limited if the box is built down to a level.

• Upvote 1

First off, I'm a total newbie when it comes to DIY speakers, so please excuse any silly questions.

I picked up a pair of Art loudspeakers a couple weeks back from eBay. They were collection only and I managed to snag them for £160. I thought it was worth a punt as the cabinets seemed nice and the footprint was right for my room. The only thing is that I could find absolutely no information on these speakers. They are called 'Illusion'. The chap I bought them off moved down from Scotland and said he got them from the factory. I've no way of knowing these are legit or not (Art never got back to me)... But, they sound really good and were just what I needed in my room.

I thought I'd take a look at what drivers they are using and found the following:

HF - SEAS 19 TFF (H586-8ohm)

MF - P14RCY/TV (H503-08ohm)

I can find some info on the units online, but all I know is that they are a vintage design.

So here is my n00b question... Can I upgrade the MF/HF units with newer designs? Is it possible to find a 'drop in' that won't require any mods to the crossover? Or, could I use this as an experiment to learn about DIY speakers/crossovers and use the cabinet as a starting point?

Thanks!

Here are some piccies...

05bd32491195294.jpg 04233e491195332.jpg 6ce7bd491195358.jpg dacdc0491195391.jpg c3cd76491195406.jpg

I use ART loudspeakers, although a much later design to the Illusion ones. I'm very surprised Derek or Ramsey from ART did not respond to you as they are normally very, very helpful. It might be well worth your while to give them a call.

Hi ThELiZ , I have a pair of Art illusion one speakers the same as yours,they are by far the best speakers i have heard and i would not tinker with them as they are perfect as they stand.They were made in Troon Scotland and were made around 1999 and cost in excess of £1000 when they were made..

😀

Edit..... Oh 2016....... 

Edited by dave