munch

Do You Think Tears For Fears

Your opinion is wrong and irrelevant. I shall ignore it.

Well you did not ignore it though did you!

A fine example of undermining ones self... hilarious

- - - Updated - - -

and munch (Reg) is better because?

He said so!

Duh! :nuts:

/Opinion on/

Quite like Pale Shelter which was somewhat original. The rest of it was largely glossy commercial dross with expensive videos and big hair. A bit like Spandau Ballet without the East Enders appearances......

/Opinion off/

:P

Guest MJ.

A good band in my opinion.

I really rate 'The Hurting' as an Album. Quite unusual and quirky and not a bad track on it.

I went to see them at the Hammersmith Palais when " The Hurting " came out . Perception was because of Mad World that Curt Smith would be the main singer how wrong was i . Roland is a great songwriter and though i love the Sowing the seeds album i play the Hurting more than any others

Guest MJ.

I saw them at the Lyceum on that tour, a week or so earlier, as an 18th Birthday present.

Awesome gig.

Hi,

I liked the first album, The Hurting, very much a lot of good pop songs. A enjoyable listen. There first couple of singles failed to chart but the video of the 3rd single helped to sell the band. Roland's quirky dancing sold it at the time.

[video=youtube;u1ZvPSpLxCg]

From this, they went into the big league with the next album with catchy wide appeal tunes.

SCIDB

^^ I love that song , IMO its taken to another level by Gary Jules and even better when Curt and Gary sing the slow version together.

[video=youtube;3b1OwCG8WN8]

I went to see them at the Hammersmith Palais when " The Hurting " came out . Perception was because of Mad World that Curt Smith would be the main singer how wrong was i . Roland is a great songwriter and though i love the Sowing the seeds album i play the Hurting more than any others
Smithy has the mellow backing voice.

Roland can hit all the high and low notes and play Guitar at the same time even when its pissing down with rain.

I've got The Seeds of Love on vinyl from when it came out, and I suspect I may have a CD of The Hurting which was being given away by Volvo dealers if you took a test drive at the time? I'd say the Tears Roll Down greatest hits album is worth its place in most music collections though.

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 10:58 PM, Tel said:

Underrated?

Not by me, I have none of their records and have no intention of ever buying any, the 80s was the worst decade of the 20th century for the quality of the music, the only decent music in the decade was produced by bands from the 60s or 70s.

Just another crap synth band.

I don't agree with you here Kevin. If a band writes good songs it doesn't matter what instruments are used or what fashion period it was. Mad World is a timeless song, as are others by them. 

here's an example of why arguing over what has artistic credibility is pointless.

in a childrens' panto show 20 years ago  the warm up man says "do you wanna see the funniest man in britain"

" yeah" they screamed and with that angus daynton walked  out ,who was highest paid tv  humorist in the uk at that time..the kids were dissappointed coz they wanted timmy mallot.. the warm up man could of argued all day with kids but the interlectual  gulf between them meant they were never going to agree

so therefor whatever i say is the best is the truth coz i'm so  smart or maybe i'm deluding myself and  in reality i'm at the children's level and most ppl are cleverer than me and i just don't grasp their view point... judging by my spelin mistax ,prolly the latter 

Super Wammer

I remember that after hearing "Woman in chains", I went and bought Oleta Adams album "Circle of one". It still gets played occasionally.

On 22/06/2016 at 22:58, Tel said:

Underrated?

Not by me, I have none of their records and have no intention of ever buying any, the 80s was the worst decade of the 20th century for the quality of the music, the only decent music in the decade was produced by bands from the 60s or 70s.

Just another crap synth band.

I'm curious as to how you can write off a groups entire back catalogue, as being 'Just another crap synth band' when you've probably only ever heard a handful of songs by them? If you had listened to an album such as the Platinum awarded 'Songs from the big chair', you would have heard a drummer playing, as well as both the guys playing guitars which is no surprise, when you know that Curt Smith is a Bass guitarist. and  Roland plays lead guitar and keyboards by which I mean a Grand Piano. They also used Saxophone players as well, and so the one person who was playing a Synth was outnumbered by 5 to 1, with what I guess you would call 'Real' musicians like they had back in the 60's & 70's. ;) .

I am curious as to how you can assume that I only like ' 'Real' musicians like they had back in the 60's & 70's.'

I never said any such thing, I like plenty of music from the 90s onwards, the 80s was generally dire with the good stuff coming from bands who were already established before then. Although I appreciate that if you were a teenager in the 80s then that is all you would have heard and you wouldn't know any different

There is so much music out there that if a band can't interest me after a handful of songs I am really not going to persevere with their back catalogue, if I did I would do nothing but listen to bands that  don't interest me much, and I really don't have time. There are exceptions to everything but the the thread title was 'Do you think Tears for Fears got the recognition they deserve' the Op was asking for peoples opinions, yours is different to mine, c'est la vie.