ProAc

7 hours ago, Tony T said:

Hello all, I’ve just got a pair of Response 1.5 in Oak. Drivers look and sound great, cabinets are in good condition with no fading that I can see. The foam around the tweeter could do with a change otherwise very happy. Can Proac supply new foam?

Does anyone have any information about the model or age, retail price, place in the Proac hierarchy etc? There is little to no info regarding the 1.5 so any info would be appreciated.

For the £460 I paid delivered I’m very happy with them. 

I owned a set for many years they are decent speaker, as are most of the response range. The foam around the tweeter can be bought from Falcon acoustics for a quarter of the price of proac, it will not have proac printed on there but it's the same stuff. Also its quite tricky to remove the old cleanly but it can be done. They are a great all rounder in the proac world the 1.5s and can play cleanly fairly loud, near realistic levels. 

You've had them for a very good price, but I suppose they are getting on a bit and a floorstander, usually two factors that limit old used prices (for the majority anyway, generally speaking). 

Edited by eddie-baby

3 hours ago, Tony T said:

Does anyone have any information about the model or age, retail price, place in the Proac hierarchy etc?

They were near 2 grand new (or 1.5+ ish perhaps iirc) in the 90s or perhaps early 2000s, so an equivalent new proac set today would cost you near 3k I expect, especially the way proac jack their prices up every year. But they share all the qualities of many of the other models, good drive units and more importantly excellent tuning.  

Edited by eddie-baby

11 hours ago, Tony T said:

Hello all, I’ve just got a pair of Response 1.5 in Oak. Drivers look and sound great, cabinets are in good condition with no fading that I can see. The foam around the tweeter could do with a change otherwise very happy. Can Proac supply new foam?

Does anyone have any information about the model or age, retail price, place in the Proac hierarchy etc? There is little to no info regarding the 1.5 so any info would be appreciated.

For the £460 I paid delivered I’m very happy with them. 

Yes, give them a call and they should be able to send a pair.  They did for me a couple of years ago.

Thank you for your replies, it’s great news that I can sort out the tweeter surround.

Coming from a pair of Neat SX3 and PMC DB1i I appreciate the larger cabinet volume the 1.5’ has, just that bit more effortless delivery. 
A nicely balanced speaker, I’ll give Proac a call next week.

12 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Coming from a pair of Neat SX3 and PMC DB1i I appreciate the larger cabinet volume the 1.5’ has

Those are both nice speakers though. They'll give the ProAc a run for its money, not quite the same scale as they are mini monitors but SQ wise they are both no slouches.   

Absolutely.
I went from a pair of Impulse H2’s to the DB1i and was astonished by the quality of the “I” tweeter compared to the nasty Focal TC90 on the H2’ which was 20-25 yrs old but I remember the sound of them new and they didn’t Obviously not the same scale but impressive none the less. Perfect little monitors.

The SX3 were purchased to go with the Exposure setup I had at the time, very nice balanced speaker, let the music flow effortlessly with very nice bass, a fun speaker that always added a bit of excitement to the Sound imo. Again very impressed with the little things.

The modern stand mounts don’t lose much to the floor standers imo, they are very much more capable than I imagined and worthy of consideration. I will have a good look at the Proac stand mounts with a view to the future. The “flavour” of the Proacs is very enticing and very well balanced, god you’re never finished in this hobby are you?:roll:

Thank you for the replies, very helpful wrt the 1.5 model.

On 13/12/2020 at 08:31, Tony T said:

Absolutely.
I went from a pair of Impulse H2’s to the DB1i and was astonished by the quality of the “I” tweeter compared to the nasty Focal TC90 on the H2’ which was 20-25 yrs old but I remember the sound of them new and they didn’t Obviously not the same scale but impressive none the less. Perfect little monitors.

The SX3 were purchased to go with the Exposure setup I had at the time, very nice balanced speaker, let the music flow effortlessly with very nice bass, a fun speaker that always added a bit of excitement to the Sound imo. Again very impressed with the little things.

The modern stand mounts don’t lose much to the floor standers imo, they are very much more capable than I imagined and worthy of consideration. I will have a good look at the Proac stand mounts with a view to the future. The “flavour” of the Proacs is very enticing and very well balanced, god you’re never finished in this hobby are you?:roll:

Thank you for the replies, very helpful wrt the 1.5 model.

Yes I think most people replaced that tweeter in the h2 , as you say it was not that nice .

Best speakers I ever had bar none. Full stop.

The Proac 1.5 are very nice (back on topic) Thanks for all the replies.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

For a long time I've contemplated swapping my ageing ProAc Future Point Fives for a newer model but when I contacted ProAc enquiring about their D48R and flagship stand mount K1, rather than trying to make a sale, they instead recommended I stick with the Point Fives. I like that kinda honesty. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zen Monkey said:

For a long time I've contemplated swapping my ageing ProAc Future Point Fives for a newer model but when I contacted ProAc enquiring about their D48R and flagship stand mount K1, rather than trying to make a sale, they instead recommended I stick with the Point Fives. I like that kinda honesty. :)

That's interesting. Those were the speakers Mr T always wanted to make though. And they are still great speakers.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, the Future is, supposedly, the speaker Stewart Tyler always wanted to make but I assumed (incorrectly it seems) the advancements in speaker technology over the last 20 years, particularly with regards to the materials they now use, meant the new models would sound better.

Edited by Zen Monkey

Posted (edited)

There's something lovely about the idea of a Future from the past.

Makes me wonder if they might offer a Past in the future. No, I don't work in marketing, obviously.

:minikev:

Edited by TheFlash
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Zen Monkey said:

the advancements in speaker technology over the last 20 years, particularly with regards to the materials they now use, meant the new models would sound better.

Nah. A good speaker is a good speaker full stop. If it's the best midrange people want they still look at 50 year old designs. Plus proac still use a lot of the same drivers they did back then anyway. Of course they have diversified more than a bit as well. 

Edited by eddie-baby

• 1 month later...

sad news from proac , i believe stewart passed away earlier this week 

• Sad 3