lostintranslation

Project VCS RCM - What a load of tosh

Guest BD Audio

Scrubbing a filthy record will clean it better than just placing the fluid on it. I know how large a record groove is and the size of the bristles on a brush. Scrubbing (to the point the liquid foams up) forces the fluid through the grooves, agitates, dislodges the dirt, mould and grime so the RCM can suck it out of the way. The liquid wont just dissolve it all in one go!

Edited by BD Audio

It must take a while to scrub 470 meters of groove on a single side of record 9_9

Guest BD Audio

Ha now you're just being daft. Carry on I like it. :^

We do have different point of view on something , we reached an impasse , what's left other than have a laugh 

No worries, I've seen the results of both methods magnified, that's why I scrub (with little force in both directions and slightly across, not too much as static will build)

Some dirt will be hard to see and stuck on but still bigger than the diameter of a groove. You just can't shift everything with a liquid only bath. Even the basic Knosti scrubs to a certain level to dislodge stubborn dirt. 

Surely no problem with scrubbing pushing dirt into the grooves as you say if a simple bath of liquid removes all the dirt anyway? The scrubbing will be needed for filthy records, the vacuum doesn't collect all the loose dirt either. Scrubbing can only help enhance the process.

Nobody will introduce a new cleaner then tell you to introduce scrubbing into the process when all others are claiming a liquid bath is sufficient. Without scrubbing is going to be a huge improvement anyway.

Apologies for sounding conceited re advising you re do your vinyl.

I know this is an old post, and I did use the above contents as a reference before I made a purchase (detailed below), but I was wondering what members experiences may have been since 2016 ?

Most particularly with regard to the more recently released; Pro-Ject  VC-S2 ALU, VC-E RCMs.

I have relatively recently bought the VC-S2 ALU, My first RCM. I personally feel it does a pretty good job, is easy to use, and gives considerable 'bang for buck'.

How have other members found the above to be ?

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, LanceG said:

I know this is an old post, and I did use the above contents as a reference before I made a purchase (detailed below), but I was wondering what members experiences may have been since 2016 ?

Most particularly with regard to the more recently released; Pro-Ject  VC-S2 ALU, VC-E RCMs.

I have relatively recently bought the VC-S2 ALU, My first RCM. I personally feel it does a pretty good job, is easy to use, and gives considerable 'bang for buck'.

How have other members found the above to be ?

My mk 1 Pro-Ject RCM is still going fine. I sure the later models are improved, the the original is perfectly effective in spite of the title of this thread.

Super Wammer

I love mine, (bought Nov 16l simple but effective. 

My mate however thinks its a bit noisy. 

IMG_20191231_112910.jpg

Super Wammer

I use mine in conjunction with the ultrasonic cleaner..

15 min in ultrasonic ..distilled water, ilfatol, diacetone alcohol.

Drip dry

Light spray with UVEX lens cleaner.

Leave for 2 mins

Put on the project cleaner for 3 min a side spray once with distilled water..

Job done.. they come up a treat..

Kindest regards Julian 

What ultrasonic cleaner do you use , Julian.

Bit of an update on my VCS , pump became quite noisy and I send it for a repair as it was under warranty , came back in same condition - noisy with badly knocked corners . 

I  wrote to Pro-Ject directly complaining about service quality and received brand new MK2 as a replacement , not much better than old one but works .

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, mac72 said:

What ultrasonic cleaner do you use , Julian.

Bit of an update on my VCS , pump became quite noisy and I send it for a repair as it was under warranty , came back in same condition - noisy with badly knocked corners . 

I  wrote to Pro-Ject directly complaining about service quality and received brand new MK2 as a replacement , not much better than old one but works .

Velvet vortex..by wammer spider..

Does 3 albums at a time..forget all the gimmicky stuff on very expensive retail gear..

It does what it sez on the tin

Kindest regards Julian 

Posted (edited)

I’ve got the mk1 vcs, still use it a fair bit, Maybe 10 records a month?

yea, the motor doesn’t sound that refined, a bit rough. But overall it’s nowhere near as noisy as some other machines I’ve heard. Using the Project cleaning fluid & brush, I reckon it does an excellent job. I’ve replaced the felt lips a few times, but other than that it does everything I expect of it.

Edited by manicatel

1 minute ago, manicatel said:

I’ve got the mk1 vcs, still use it a fair bit, Maybe 10 records a month?

yea, the motor doesn’t sound that refined, a bit rough. But it’s nowhere near as noisy as some other machines I’ve heard. Using the Project cleaning fluid & brush, I reckon it does an excellent job. I’ve replaced the felt lips a few times, but other than that it does everything I expect of it.

I stopped using ProJect brush as it started losing hair , same as I slowly do , I found The Right One fluid to be a quite of improvement over Project and home made one .

14 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Velvet vortex..by wammer spider..

Does 3 albums at a time..forget all the gimmicky stuff on very expensive retail gear..

It does what it sez on the tin

Kindest regards Julian 

I might start looking at that , I fancied ultrasonic cleaner for a while now , what's the price ?

I haven’t experimented with other cleaning fluid, or doing homemade stuff. I know it’s a lot cheaper but I’m just too lazy & happy enough with what I’m used to.