Quick Q on biwiring

Hi all,

I know little about hifi TBH, but I just moved to Chicago for a few months and acquired a cheap hifi for while I'm here.  As I'm not here long I bought some cheap 2nd hand stuff and will sell it when I leave - I got some big old Mission 775 speakers and a Sherwood rx 4208 receiver - picked em up for $200 total.  The 775s can be biwired, and I wondered - since there are 2 speaker outputs (IE you can run 2 sets of speakers) on the amp, can I biwire by using both speaker outputs (one for the top and one for the bottom connections on the speakers)?  Alternatively, if I DONT do this should I bridge the connections?  Is there any benefit to doing either of these things on this equipment?

Thanks for looking!

You need to bridge the connections if you single wire and this is the only course worth taking, bi-wiring is a totally pointless waste of money.

Ok, understood, thanks.  I did think that, since there are 2 outputs for speakers, I might be missing half the potential power of the amp if I only used one of the 2.  Am I misunderstanding how the amp works?  Alternatively, to get the most out of it, do I need 4 speakers?

Bridge the terminals on the speakers, and use speaker 1 connection on the amp. The second set of terminals used to be used mainly for speakers placed in a different room,

You would not obtain any more power by using both outputs, what you want out of it I presume is good stereo sound?, You will not achieve that by adding more speakers in the same room. As Colin said above if you want speakers in a different room as well, and the ability to switch between them, then use the second output

Edited by Tel

The amp end has the speakers terminals connected such that you get full power from either set of the terminal so that it does not matter which set of terminals you use, use either set. It allows you to run two sets of speakers if you want. You will get full power from either set so connect up the easiest to use.

The speaker end may be different. If it is bi-wired then you need to have a link between the two positives (both reds) and the two negative terminals (both blacks). normally there is a small piece of metal linking one red to the other red and a separate piece of metal linking one black terminal to the other. In some cases they can be pieces of wire. If those links are present then link your speakers wires to either set of terminals.

A lot of guys here do not believe bi-wiring helps and in some cases they are right and in other cases they are wrong but that is a different discussion.

I have bi-wired in the past mainly to use two pairs of cables so the current capacity is increased and reduce the contact resistance of the speaker switch in the amplifier, or relay depending on how the outputs are switched.. I guess the amp has speaker 1 speaker 2 and both in which case use the both setting. As per other posts you will not get any more power as its the same amp feeding both outputs via the speaker switch.

Ok, this helps, thanks for the answers guys!  The speaker cable attaches to the stylus at one end, and in the mains power at the other.  Got it.

Just being silly.  Thanks.

Edited by Muttoninyourears
7 hours ago, Muttoninyourears said:

Ok, this helps, thanks for the answers guys!  The speaker cable attaches to the stylus at one end, and in the mains power at the other.  Got it.

Just being silly.  Thanks.

Yes. That's right. Although, connecting the stylus directly to the mains power can often improve SQ dramatically.

One other question on biwiring - the speakers arrived and they dont have a bridge between the connections.  Would it be ok to use speaker cable for this (black>black and red>red), rammed there in the hole?

1 hour ago, Muttoninyourears said:

One other question on biwiring - the speakers arrived and they dont have a bridge between the connections.  Would it be ok to use speaker cable for this (black>black and red>red), rammed there in the hole?

Holes are for ramming stuff in, so yes - go for it.

Edited by rv295