Shakey_Studioincar

It's time for another restoration.. JBL L112

First off you'll have to excuse my use of the new forum layout, however good it is it's thrown me right off!

Anyway, it's been a while since my Yamaha NS1000M refurb last year which went very well, they're still in my main system and very happy. People seemed to enjoy that refurb so I thought I'd share this one! 

I've wanted a set of these (Actually a set of the 4311 pro version but these are perfectly adequate) for longer than I had wanted the Yamaha's, they're just a little harder to get hold of in the UK I have found but finally yesterday evening I snagged these. 

A set of JBL L112, Not in the best of condition, two rotten foam surrounds on the bass drivers and a fair few whacks/cracks to the cabinets etc..

28857678473_ab7aaf823e_z.jpg

As mentioned above the 12" drivers are knackered, foams are shot etc, slight kink to one of the cones..

Last night I messaged Graham67 on here, a friend who's own JBL's I travelled over to hear a little while back, they were particularly special and had had a bunch done by a gent previously. I wanted to know who this guy was and whether he could refoam my drivers. This guy was Paul Coupe, fantastic bloke to talk to on the phone and extremely helpful. Quite honestly he told me to head over the Wembley loudspeakers as they have all of the jig's for getting these perfect so it looks like a trip over there is in order..

This evening I stripped the bass drivers out - 

29399903721_99f14efe74_z.jpg

29399900951_aafe61e43b_z.jpg

29191086300_77fecc4c1b_z.jpg

So i'll be delivering these old boy's to the guys at Wembley loudspeakers (I'm pretty sure that's what they're called?) for a re foam etc.

In the meantime I'll be doing various bits and bobs to the cabinets. I doubt I'll be changing any colour but I may switch to satin black on the baffle opposed to the matte black they are at the moment.

Also I think I may change the brown grille cloth to black, not to sure what colour this would have been originally but I imagine not to far from the brown they are considering their age.

Here's some shots of some of the roughness I'd like to deal with in the meantime - 

29371100402_b4e99256e1_z.jpg

29371106072_57023289f4_z.jpg

And this driver when it comes back needs washing down, some cretin has spilt a load of tea/coffee or whatever all over it. Anyone off my any tips on what not to use? I was thinking a bit of warm water etc??

29399909671_fe91a15881_z.jpg

So yeah, another snazzy refurb, really looking forward to hearing these. Let me know if you guys/girls think there is anything else worth doing while they're apart!

Thanks,

Carl.

Super Wammer

:pop: 
Check out the link below too Carl

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

When I had my 4311's restored by Paul @ RFC, he suggested the Level 4 kit and that is what was eventually fitted... and I'm sure Graham67 will be along soon to extol the virtue of them now that he is the happy owner :) 

Its those very ones I have heard, I spoke to Paul about them today and he mentioned he slightly modified Troels design in the HF.

Lovely lovely speakers, I very nearly bought them at the same time as Graham.

Super Wammer

Its a small world Carl... I heard my old 4311's for the first time since I sold them (to the owner before Graham) last week and they really benefit from their positioning in a large listening room. Paul @ RFC is a great chap to deal with BTW, and he is also responsible for the simply fantastic finish, which was the the icing on the JBL cake Graham is now enjoying :) 

Hi carl,

I am glad u have finally found some jbls.They look like a sound basis for a project. I am confident that Wembley loudspeakers in Hammersmith will do a great job, they refoamed my dc tannoys recently and their work is excellent and very reasonably priced IMO.

And as predicted by Pete, I can vouch for the benefits of the troels gravesen crossover. although some decry modified vintage speakers, I believe Pete and Paul's changes have addressed the 4311 more obvious weaknesses while retaining the JBL strengths.

However I believe your l112 is a more sophisticated beast so may not need tweaking. But you are more than welcome to come over for a shootout when you have them ready to rock 😎.

In the meantime i am looking forward to reading of your work on these classic monitors. 😊

all the best,

graham

Super Wammer

Loved reading your last refurb of the Yams, so really looking forward to this.

After a few quick tests everything isn't as I would have hoped..

29506931555_f18fd823bb_z.jpg

28882027784_9dd2ff8a9e_z.jpg

29426810521_fd362928c0_z.jpg

My money is on the L-pads.

Buggerinell.

Another JBL 4311 fan here you might like to read this http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=19561.0

The Troels crossover certainly improved the sound of my 4311's but it might be worth checking on the Lansing Heritage site about your speakers

I have a pair of L112's that have been re-foamed and a completely original pair of 4312, so if I can be of help.

There are some L112 drivers (tweeters and midrange units) for sale on eBay at the moment.

Cheers guys.

Going back to my previous post, I was pretty tired so called it a night.. The evening after I did a bit more investigating..

So I wired the speakers up to my system at work without the bass drivers attached as I wanted to check the drivers naturally.

First impressions are whats written on top of the speakers (by me after investigating). I like to keep the speakers sided, it shouldn't make any difference but just in case.. One tweeter on one and a midrange on the other aren't working when in position. Now with any speaker that has a passive and/or L-pad you can't jst rule the speaker out if its not working so I stripped all of the drivers from the enclosure and tested them independently. All drivers are working and metering resistance shows a quite uniform result. GREAT NEWS!

Or is it.. So somewhere I've not go to figure out wehter its the passives, or L-pads or a mix of both blah blah.. I'll get there..

In all honesty these speakers haven't been looked after at all well, upon opening one box a  large pat of the crossover was hanging off.. I've not investigated what it does in particular but its the largest coil in there by far. It should go on with some hot glue but I can't decide whether to upgrade the crossover or not, I'm pretty impatient. I i do upgrade them I would want to keep the pads.

29398379282_c73765388f_z.jpg

L-pads half way out to get checked, contact cleaned etc..

29506922295_311986617e_z.jpg

They're nowhere near as simple to get apart as my NS1000 but seem a lot less technical electronically. simple is often better though hey?

28884714363_33067ca1ff_z.jpg

Here's one of the grilles. A much as I like to keep stuff nice and original I'm going to change the colour of these to be more modern life friendly, something black or maybe even a snazzy colour, they can be changed at any time and will mostly be off I would imagine.

29506926455_c7717592b7_z.jpg

Really impressed with how well made these are, they're metal and some from of composite, nice stuff..

So as it all stands right now, the bass drivers are being delivered to Wembley Loudspeakers tomorrow, I hope these guys are great and the drivers come back like new. the speakrers are 80% stripped, I just need to remove the L-pads and all internal wadding and crossovers etc ready for an actual refurb to start..

Two things.. Anyone have any hints on finding out whats wrong with the signal path?

Also, the model badges on the front that go around the L-pads, has anyone remade these?

Thanks for any help,

Carl.

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, Shakey_Studioincar said:

Also, the model badges on the front that go around the L-pads, has anyone remade these?

I managed to locate an eBay seller Stateside who was able to reproduce top quality metal decals for the 4311's and other JBL speakers... downside is that they weren't cheap and the seller wouldn't ship outside the good'ol US of A. However, I signed up with an eBay forwarding service and had them sent over the pond that way. Let me see which I can find in my files :) 

Edited by orbscure

That would be superb, I have friends in the US.

I will see if I can have them made in the UK also, for future projects.

Super Wammer

No worries Carl.. incidentally, this eBay seller in Italy looks pretty creative with JBL decals:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-4315-4315B-4341-4344-4345-FOILCAL-LABEL-DECAL-STICKER-/162043359707

Super Wammer

That was easier than I thought... here is a link to the US seller I bought my 4311 decals from ;) 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sign--shop/m.html

Good news is that they now appear to offer shipping outside the US... happy days :) 

Edited by orbscure