artless

Indulgence Show 2016 : London 14-16 October

Is anyone else thinking of going to this new show in London? 

http://www.indulgenceshow.com/

It has 3 aspects :

1. Hi-fi : http://www.indulgenceshow.com/exhibitors/audio-london/
  2. Headroom : http://www.indulgenceshow.com/exhibitors/headroom/
  3. Luxury goods

plus a few talks.

The range of exhibitors looks pretty impressive and it's easy to get to by tube.

At £10 for 1 day and £15 for 2 days, if you buy your tickets in advance, it looks like a bargain.

Edited by artless

wow gary it looks amazing . as you say , a huge range of exhibitors

Super Wammer

Cheers for that Gary... :)

17 hours ago, artless said:

Just saw this limited offer for free tickets to the Indulgence Show and I ordered some : http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/indulgence-show

A free hi-fi show in London.  Any other takers?

Nice one

Thankyou

Well, just came back from this. Venue is 20min from me and with free tickets in hand what's not to like :D Just had 2 hours today, but managed to glance over a bit. It's interesting venue (hotel) and particularly well suited for HiFi shows. There are 3 floors and last level do have plenty of smaller rooms for more intimate presentations and listening sessions. It's huge venue and one day is probably not enough as I had a hard time to keep up with the things. Plenty of really nice live acoustic sessions scattered along the way. Sill need to visit headroom section properly and did miss some interesting rooms on upper floors.

Anyhow, it was looking forward to hear some (rather expensive!) full range designs... namely PMC MB2 XBD SE,  Cabasse La Sphere, Thrax Basus and on occasion they really transformed rooms into the live listening venues. Upper floor rooms did have some really nice, more intimate, set-ups. I did like the TDA room! and Smyth Research Realiser A16 was quite an eye opener what's possible with headphones these days. Had a bit of mixed feelings about the Aer Pnoe. Some lovely sounding smaller rooms from upper floors may need re-visit as I didn't have much time to sneak in and investigate.

I'm back on Sunday (MSE free ticket promotion is still valid by the way)  ... and may bring some source material with me just for a spin on some cherry picked systems.

It's certainly worth a visit! Well organised and nice looking event. May have a bit of plush feeling as majority of systems are embarrassingly expensive, but it's good fun nevertheless. PMC were somewhat overly dominant, followed by KEF.

• Upvote 1

Back home after a long (10.30 – 19.00), excellent day at this great show.  

Most of the major players were there with the vast majority having really good sounding systems setup, with only the odd misfiring system in between.

This show was very well organised, from the extremely slick app which I downloaded onto my phone (showing all the talks, events, interactive floorplans and booking system) to the design and layouts.

My tour highlights;

• Visited the Headroom. After a long set of demos, I ordered some CIEMs (Cosmic Ears CE6P) from Aid2Hearing. Giselle was very professional. It’s good to get such great personal customer service.
  • Talks. I attended the interview/talk by the recording engineers – Chris Kimsey and Gary Langan. Chris recalled his interview for his first job in a recording studio. “I’d been learning and training on a 4 track system before the interview, but when I got to the recording studio for the interview, they told me they’d just upgraded to an 8 track. I was sweating before the technical part of the interview. The question then came: ‘How do you wire a 13 amp plug?’ “

• Listened to probably the most expensive headphone (£100k +) setup in the world in the MSB room.
  • Smyth Research Realiser demonstration. This was a jaw dropper event for me. Creating effective 3d space from headphones that replicates the dimensionality and sound of your main speakers or a full surround sound system. I’ll start another thread about this item. If you can, try and book a demo.

As I said, some lovely sounding systems. MSB technology, PMC, the big JBLs in room 6 on the 3rd floor and plenty of others.

This is what a hifi show should be like. Well organised with lots of aspirational but also affordable systems on show.  I won’t be going back to Whittlebury (after attending and watching it go downhill during the last 9 years) and I doubt I’ll be going again to Windsor this year.

YMMV but I hope you have a good time.

• Upvote 1

Yes, extremely well organised event. I had to postpone Headroom for Sunday as I will have all day readily available and for anyone interesting in headphones and matching systems this is a must. Very well supported room from all important headphones manufactures and matching systems, relaxing atmosphere and friendly/professional staff. I did experiment with virtual reproduction (software based) systems on headphones with HRTF (TB Isone lately)  but Smyth Research Realiser approach is pretty much unique and left long lasting impression. Like the concept that mixture of well supported headphone systems and speakers are presented under one roof so one can have the flavours of both.

Funnily enough, I also attended the talk by the recording engineers. It was very interesting and just in time after Cabasse La Sphere session (in the same room). Huge PMCs next door were absolutely stunning on few recordings.

Today, I've tried to audition primarily rare and not easily/readily available systems (speakers most importantly) but yeah "affordable" systems are not left behind with some excellent rooms to mach.

Phone app is exemplary, have to agree!

Edited by incognito73
  • Upvote 1

Forgot to mention ... Naim Unity room was interesting and Atom caught my eye as lately I'm somewhat intrigued with compact digital hub enabled integrated amps. Atom was hooked to some nice Focals and particular recordings did sound rather nice. Not a bad (at least)  RRP for Atom, considering what's inside and that they spent considerable ammount of time to re-design Unity range from the bare start.

Devialet room was friendly and had a nice chat with the guys from Auralic too. 

If you have free time, do attend presentations from Qobuz about streaming future and GIK Acoustics about room treatments.

In general, many presenters were absolutely fine to spin up your source, so bring some familiar recordings just in case, including vinyl as I've spotted some pretty impressive turntable set-ups.