mr.me

Valve Amp Owners!

Having now dealt with Steve Jackson I cannot recommend this guy, stay clear.

Just thought that anyone owning valve equipment might be interested in my experience,

Having had my Chinese amp "red plate" I found that the trim pot would not alter the over voltage bias condition and as my electronics experience is close to nil I looked to find someone in the NW with good experience for repair.

On contacting Steve Jackson he invited me over on Sunday for him to investigate the problem. I found that not only does he repair amps but he has designed and built his own KT88 based amplifier and a preamp too which he kindly demonstrated for me. 

Edited by mr.me
  • Upvote 1

Cheers for the info John, that's great to know.

Having recently needed to get my valve amp repaired - a dedicated "recommended valve amp repairer" thread would have been a great help.  Maybe we could start one?

You've mentioned Steve Jackson in Cheshire http://fundamentallysoundservices.co.uk/

I'd like to add our very own Graeme @Valvebloke who is based in Didcot, Oxfordshire. http://www.ampregen.com/
He has just repaired my Audio Note 300B leaving me feeling like I received exceptional value for money.  I can't recommend him highly enough. While I was there I discovered various bits of wammer's kit so I know he's well known on here.

Not to forget David @Juancho who through experience, correctly diagnosed my amps' problem simply from my brief description on here. I'm sure I have also read a positive customer review of his work on here. I believe he is based in London.

• Upvote 1

On 30/09/2016 at 15:59, eastone said:

what were his speakers - Dalquists?

Yes, Dalquist DQ10 modified by him.

Edited by mr.me

Useful thread, more recommendations please! . Mods, how about making this a sticky?

Super Wammer

great thread lets have some more stuff, i have Peter Lindley quad 2s which i absolutly love:D

Edited by corgi 1

Super Wammer

Met Steve good many times. He used to hang out with the Audioworks lot from Cheadle and also helped to demonstrate a lot of their acrylic racks in shows. He used to play a tune with the standard wooden rack, looking bit bored then switch over to the acrylic racks and starts dancing around and playing air guitar. Some endorsement B|

Geoff at ServiceSound is a bloody genius with valve amps.  His other speciality is Reel-to-Reels.  He's in Bexhill

http://www.servicesound.com/

Edited by deejaitch

How about these guys, ready made and kits, based in Devon, for those of us in the Southwest perhaps. I have no experience with them but thought it suited this thread.

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/index.htm

Super Wammer
On 29/09/2016 at 13:59, mr.me said:

What happened?  

4 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:
On 29/09/2016 at 13:59, mr.me said:

What happened?  

Don't ask.  :nup:

Super Wammer

.....errr I did ask

or is the issue subject to legal action ?