Using master word clocks

londonmuso

Apologies if these seems a stupid question but would welcome some advice. Have just got an antelope isochrone ocx master clock to pair with my Esoteric X-01 Ltd that has a word clock input. 

I predominantly play standard cds...am I right in thinking I should be setting the word clock at the 44.1 sample rate when playing CDs or will there be any benefit in setting to higher sample rates like 176.4 which is the maximum word clock input the X-01 will accept?  And should I be switching sample rates when playing SACDs?

Any sound advice or experience would be very much appreciated as there is no advice or recommendations on sample rate settings for clock input in either the Esoteric or Antelope manuals. 

1 hour ago, londonmuso said:

Apologies if these seems a stupid question but would welcome some advice. Have just got an antelope isochrone ocx master clock to pair with my Esoteric X-01 Ltd that has a word clock input. 

I predominantly play standard cds...am I right in thinking I should be setting the word clock at the 44.1 sample rate when playing CDs or will there be any benefit in setting to higher sample rates like 176.4 which is the maximum word clock input the X-01 will accept?  And should I be switching sample rates when playing SACDs?

Any sound advice or experience would be very much appreciated as there is no advice or recommendations on sample rate settings for clock input in either the Esoteric or Antelope manuals. 

There is no technically correct answer to the first part of your question.  Try it and see what camp you fall in.  For me, there is a tendency to feel that up-sampled red book sounds better and sticking to multiples of the original clock can't hurt.  44.1 / 88.2 ...

If you're a purist and don't like to resample then you may want to check for any auto sensing function.  176.4 is well below SACD so you'll be down-sampling those by the sounds of it. The higher rate you can use when playing SACD - the closer to the original it will be. 

Really though, try it and form your own opinion.

I'm sure there are people out there with every possible opinion.

Thanks for the really helpful response. I'll play tunes with the sample rates and see what my preference is. The X-01 interestingly  converts DSD to PCM so all output whether red book or SACD is ultimately PCM based. it seems to work and sound great regardless. Thanks again. 

13 hours ago, londonmuso said:

Thanks for the really helpful response. I'll play tunes with the sample rates and see what my preference is. The X-01 interestingly  converts DSD to PCM so all output whether red book or SACD is ultimately PCM based. it seems to work and sound great regardless. Thanks again. 

You're very welcome, the licensing of SACD is unusual & quite strict (lots of limitations on what you can and can't do) so converting to the equivalent (very high res) PCM is normal.  I believe there were no instructions as you're free to do whatever you wish.  So enjoy, and nice bits of kit by the way. :^