terataz

Tube Upgrade - Croft.

Hi all,

I posses a nice Croft Chameleon . It uses 4x AEG ECL805 HM Valves. One is at end of life, so I wonder if what would be the next step up I could try for the lot.

I listen to of vinyl , jazz and love warm, deep sound.

God bless the tube rollers.

Thanks

Edited by terataz

22 minutes ago, terataz said:

Hi JBCobra,

i saw that, i'm just a bit suspicious of £5 tubes ...

You shouldn't necessarily be.

To qualify that: Some years ago someone on here gave me some cheap Russian 6P14P in place of el84's and they were excellent I thought, and later I bought some Russian ecl82 equivalents to try in an EE Minimax power amp that really were every bit as good as the Mullards I bought it with. 

No idea about the vales JB linked to, but if they're the correct type then you have little to lose if you don't like them (as along as they don't destroy your amp o.O). 

Edited by la toilette

Super Wammer
On 12/4/2016 at 09:18, terataz said:

Hi all,

I posses a nice Croft Chameleon . It uses 4x AEG ECL805 HM Valves. One is at end of life, so I wonder if what would be the next step up I could try for the lot.

I listen to of vinyl , jazz and love warm, deep sound.

God bless the tube rollers.

Thanks

may be worth a look ... Tesla / ECL85/ECL805-TESLA?  https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=766

Have to say that I am stumped.

I can usually suggest alternatives, but the ECL805 appears a 'no equivalent' job.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about cost. It seems real oddity, so if little esle uses it, it'll be cheap. Get some matching ones and enjoy it.