JamPal

What are you reading?

Super Wammer

Still working my way thru everything Terry Pratchet wrote I've only been at it for about 4 years so far & a long way to go yet🙄

10 minutes reading & I'm asleep you see.🥱

• Like 1

15 years ago, I’d come home from my weekend job at midnight, then read for around an hour. Now I can manage about 20 minutes! Currently reading Mark Kermode’s “ how does it feel? A life of musical misadventures” ,which is a rollicking, fun read, especially if you’ve ever been in a band.

Happy new year, readers!

• Like 1

A day off from Bible reading today as we finished it yesterday. Start again tomorrow.

Today reading a little more of Michael Behe’s A Mousetrap For Darwin.

Just finished this and not laughed so much in ages. Many of his experiences echoed mine. I had previously read Cider with Roadies and found that amusing and informative.

Pies and Prejudice.jpg

• Like 1

If you like one, you'll like them all! Some people find him smug and annoying. I can see why, but I think all of his books are terrific, both funny and observant. " Adventures On The High Teas" for you next!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I enjoyed both books mentioned above but I’ll point @Pete the Feet towards The Pie at Night and Long Road from Jarrow . My youngest son once asked my wife “why is dad obsessed with the north ?” , so they’re right up my street/alley/jigger.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, mr neds said:

If you like one, you'll like them all! Some people find him smug and annoying. I can see why, but I think all of his books are terrific, both funny and observant. " Adventures On The High Teas" for you next!

I was just thinking the same before I saw your post. He's hugely entertaining though.

16 hours ago, lower bullens said:

I enjoyed both books mentioned above but I’ll point @Pete the Feet towards The Pie at Night and Long Road from Jarrow . My youngest son once asked my wife “why is dad obsessed with the north ?” , so they’re right up my street/alley/jigger.

After finishing Pies and Prejudice yesterday I was struggling to find another read so I downloaded The Pie at Night. I was thinking of revisiting John Le Carre after being reminded of his books by his recent death but I thought I would start the year on a cheery note. I'm struggling to remember which of Le Carre's books I have or haven't read. Certainly read all of the George Smiley ones up until the late 80's. I'm not too keen on revisiting once read books as once the memory has been jogged there are no surprises. I've read another by Maconie besides Cider with Roadies and Pies and Prejudice but can't recall which one. At least with a Kindle you can look up your reading history.

REMARQUE, E. M. - All quiet on the western front (1928)

This is a fine almost contemporary account of the suffering of German soldiers in WW1. It was burnt by the Nazi in the thirties.

The film of the book by Lewis Milestone in 1930 is also a classic.

• Upvote 1

A good book and great film which was a very believable portrayal of the trenches. I think I may have a copy of the film somewhere. The theme of the boots changing ownership indicating their death was quite telling.

• Upvote 1

See, I didn’t remember the boots......only the butterfly. It’s very rare that I can remember even plot outlines now, whereas my mate, who admittedly was an English teacher when younger, has an amazing recall for plots/ scenes, which can be a pain in the arse if it’s something you haven’t seen or finished yet!

Donald Fagin's book

Hipster (something...?)

Not bad, asked for it or Xmas.