What are you reading?

JamPal

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:52, Blacksabbath25 said:

I am bit of a stephen leather fan i like reading the jack nightingale books and currently reading is latest one and shaun hutson books which i have all of his on hardback 1st edition and some are signed by him . 

Have these overtly racist overtones like his Dan Shepherd books? It's a shame but he spoils what could be a good read with his stock anti-Islamic rants in the guise of a character in the book. It's like a record stuck in a groove. He's a bit of a cunt by all accounts.

Reviewed by Will Gompertz arts editor from the BBC with a haircut like a twat.

Edited by Pete the Feet

13 minutes ago, Pete the Feet said:

Have these overtly racist overtones like his Dan Shepherd books? It's a shame but he spoils what could be a good read with his stock anti-Islamic rants in the guise of a character in the book. It's like a record stuck in a groove. He's a bit of a cunt by all accounts.

Reviewed by Will Gompertz arts editor from the BBC with a haircut like a twat.

I do not read the Dan Shepherd books only the nightingale books that he does 

• 2 weeks later...

Try to read 1984 Orwell. To this book there is a very well-known annotation: "this book is a warning, not an instruction". Those who have already read - understand what I mean. This book is compulsory for reading in companies such as https://www.coolessay.net, but is not recommended for reading in schools. Why? because the described political regime is a slightly exaggerated version of ours, and as soon as people start to understand it, they cease to appreciate the crumbs of freedom allocated by the government, and they want more! I strongly advise everyone, this book overturns consciousness!

• Like 1

Len Deighton has a way with the anti-hero - like Harry Palmer from his spy books, but here the anti-hero is an ordinary bloke - the everyman with morality
past his abilities to cope with conflicting emotions of duty & conscience.
It's told in a matter-of-fact, narrative form with no emotion, opinion or embellishment. If you read it it will stay with you.

image.jpeg.63cac1b38f13a0e572c26a39c0cd1630.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This thread. :P

• Haha 1

Isaac Asimov - Bicentenial Man (and other stories)

I didn't appreciate just how prolific he was until fairly recently, I doubt I'll ever get through all his books or short stories.

Love this guy's books. This is latest.

9781101904190.jpeg

• Like 1

81GRF8pfRcL.jpg

I'm a big fan of Stuart Maconie's books and I've just started reading this one. A subject that I've I'm aware of but know very little about.

• 2 weeks later...

The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999

For a new course I'm training next week. This company largely thinks H & S gets in the way. It's a bit like this... :wall: but hopefully they understand eventually!

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 19:35, DIB said:

81GRF8pfRcL.jpg

I'm a big fan of Stuart Maconie's books and I've just started reading this one. A subject that I've I'm aware of but know very little about.

You may find this interesting Dave:

http://rochdaleliteraturefestival.co.uk/whats-on/a-short-evening-with-stuart-maconie/

Next week Stuart is giving a talk on this book at Rochdale Literature festival. I was thinking of attending. I have read his Cider with Roadies book and found it interesting and entertaining.

11 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

You may find this interesting Dave:

http://rochdaleliteraturefestival.co.uk/whats-on/a-short-evening-with-stuart-maconie/

Next week Stuart is giving a talk on this book at Rochdale Literature festival. I was thinking of attending. I have read his Cider with Roadies book and found it interesting and entertaining.

Cheers, thanks for that.

I actually went to see him a year or two back at Bury Met when he was doing a tour discussing his book "The People's Songs", another good read and thoroughly recommended.

You should also try "Pies and Prejudice", a kind of travel book but funny as hell and full of facts that I did not know.