Willie Garvin

Modus - Swedish crime drama series

Swedish crime drama series about a criminal psychologist called in to catch a killer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0644tbl

This is excellent, the Swedes seem to do this sort of thing very well.

I just watched DNA - a Danish police 8 parter. Very very good.

Edited by myles

Did you not think it was overlong, Myles? The final episode was quite genuinely touching, but there were an awful lot of plot holes. Why do female cops always end up going to see the crims on their own? Enjoyable though. Been a fan of Scandi crime since the first Steig Larssen was published in english, then moved on to the tv stuff. French crime dramas are very good, particularly Spiral, although it's become a bit rambling now

5 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Did you not think it was overlong, Myles? The final episode was quite genuinely touching, but there were an awful lot of plot holes. Why do female cops always end up going to see the crims on their own? Enjoyable though. Been a fan of Scandi crime since the first Steig Larssen was published in english, then moved on to the tv stuff. French crime dramas are very good, particularly Spiral, although it's become a bit rambling now

I would much rather watch these Scandi dramas - they are really gripping.

I know what you mean about single cops going alone to investigate crimes - watching The Following, you watch through your fingers as Kevin Bacon or his sidekick going alone to investigate a psycho!

11 minutes ago, Luca12Douglas said:

It's a nice TV series, but I prefer something like The Killing more. Maybe I just used to american tv series.

Interestingly, The Killing - which was excellent by the way - was a spin-off of a Danish TV series which I won't try to name.

Not seen Modus but I have watched most of The Bridge which is Swedish/Danish crime series. 

The Killing I saw the first series and then did not bother.

I prefer foreign series to english/american ones, only problem is the subtitles.

Myles, are you talking about the US remake of the killing, because the original was Danish, not a spin off,as far as I know? Stingray, what’s your problem with subtitles?

3 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Myles, are you talking about the US remake of the killing, because the original was Danish, not a spin off,as far as I know? Stingray, what’s your problem with subtitles?

That's what I was trying to say - yes. A Danish original.

Subtitles aren't for everyone, but you do get used to them AND I feel that they force me to concentrate more.

Yep, you can’t be turning your head away! You know when you’ve been watching Scandi dramas for too long, when you start correcting the subtitles.....

8 hours ago, mr neds said:

It’s difficult for me to read them all and follow all the action.

Not quite a crime drama, but I can highly recommend Thicker than water on All4 catch up.  A real slow burner, great characters and simmering family tensions.