Willie Garvin

Modus - Swedish crime drama series

Graham, there are soooooo many shows on All 4 under the “Walter Presents” section and I’ve watched so many of them that they get a bit blurred together! I can’t remember if I finished Thicker Than Water, but I remember the opening premise. Also, the pool of Scandi actors is quite small compared to the UK, which makes it more confusing. I was on the subway in Copenhagen a couple of years ago and felt that the guy next to me looked very familiar. When I got off, I realised he was an actor from “Borgen”. The Mikkelsens are well known for using public transport in Denmark, too. A current show, which is sombre but well scripted with a great cast, is “Ride The Storm” on all 4, about a vicar and his family in Copenhagen. I know, doesn’t sound gripping,but it is!

21 hours ago, mr neds said:

Myles, are you talking about the US remake of the killing, because the original was Danish, not a spin off,as far as I know? Stingray, what’s your problem with subtitles?

I accidently watched the beginning of the USA version of the Killing and like the La Femme Nikita a French original, the opening shots were more or less identical to the original foreign language versions. Then typically American Hollywood it all went down hill for there.

• Upvote 1

Just watching the Valhalla Murders which is set in Iceland, very similar to The Bridge, I think but only seen 1 episode so far, it’s on BBC4, Saturday night.

Me too. All the cliches are there- single mum cop, passed over for promotion, Norwegian cop with mysterious back story, reduced colour palette- I think my wife and I agreed that we’ d watched too many Scandi crime dramas for our own good. It’s not bad, but it’s not good enough 😕