dj.gibby

Second Hand Prices Gone Mad?

Although I do not have an E-bay account I often browse just to see what the second hand market has to offer and what sort of prices some of the older products in my collection go for. I have just been gobsmacked by a Cyrus One amplifier currently sitting at £380 with around 18hrs left. Yes it's in very good condition and has the original box and instructions and whilst it was a half decent 'budget' amp in it's time I just cannot believe the price. That goes for some of the Japanese monsters from the mid to late 70's. These too seem to be going for double and sometimes more than what they were new. I tried a few of these amps in the 70's, especially the ones from Pioneer and Rotel, and can say without doubt that they were amongst the worst sounding amplifiers that I've ever heard. A Sansui AU217ll from the early 80's was the first good sounding Japanese amplifier to cross my path, so good in fact that I held on to it for 20yrs.

Anyhow, I currently have two Cyrus Ones in my collection. If only I could source an original box and instructions I'd sure as hell sell them for £380 each!!!

That's pretty bizarre. That particular one looks in good condition, with tidy box, etc, but even so, they've been selling for between 50 and a hundred quid, up until recently.

On the other hand I've just seen £8000 amps go for under £2300, £10,600 speakers went for £3200 so I suppose it works the other way too.

Some people are prepared to pay anything to get what they want, and auctions always get people trying to outdo each other.

Ebay can be insane at times. Occasionally you'll get a nutter bidding mad prices for someting. Overall, however, it's generally a good indicator of 'value'.

That Cyrus is odd, for sure. On the bay, 'original box' and the like does seem to get the lunatics out in force. Unfortunately, lack of space here means boxes are usually sent to the recycling bin straight away.

I do have a vacuum cleaner with its original box and packing. If anyone wants to give me £500 fot it. I might be willing to let it go.

Super Wammer

ill take!!!!!!!! it but I'm not paying less than 599 I'm afraid, too good to miss, will put it with my cyrus stuff that's going to be worth even more in a week :nuts:

It's the same with original or early pressings of vinyl records. Those prices have been inflated by the large influx of 180g remasters. It seems every band and artist is having their back catalogue reissued.  I just found out my original pressings of early Floyd albums (e.g. Atom Heart Mother and Animals) can now fetch upwards of £75.00 each. Despite paying that price, it's still a lottery what you receive.

Edited by TIU

Guest MJ.
9 minutes ago, minimido said:

That is bonkers money.

6 minutes ago, enrae8 said:

How about

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/416733?ev=rb

Scroll to bottom of page

Wow good album but ....

The person who buys that is exactly the sort of person who deserves it 😊

Super Wammer

It's Nad-ger phono stage any more....

I get phono stages and stage coaches mixed up.

Edited by batteredhaggis