Just now, AlmaAtaKZ said:

What’s happening with the rest of the system? What is going to feed into the new speakers?

The Tact amp was bought last year while my mono blocks were with JS Audio, my main hifi isn't changing - Wadia 861 front end and MUSE 300W mono blocks:

51009023666_559b42f41f_c.jpg

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 15 week wait, they’re finally here! 

My ATC40A's have now arrived after a 6-8 week build time; and I can only concur. Just 2 boxes now; Innuos Zen Mk2 server, Audiolab M-Dac+ (integral volume control and headphone out) and active speaker

I'm afraid McIntosh have beaten you to it: https://www.hardtofindhifi.com/mcintosh-towel

Posted Images

Just though i would post this in case anyone else has the same problem with a suspended floor 

After lots of careful measuring i bought a pair of Size 2 Townshend Seismic podiums, 

I removed the 6 screws securing the original ATC plinths and used them as a template to drill mounting holes in a piece of 6mm thick MDF sized just a few mm smaller than the speakers width and depth. I painted this mini plinth black around the edge

I attached the 6mm thick mdf to the bottom of my SCM50ASLT's which allows them to fit very well on the size 2 podiums looking like they were designed for them.

IMG_20201230_162127.thumb.jpg.2a3116fe06e74d8f3f8ee18ca50e709d.jpg

Edited by mtbmarkymark
spelling
  • Like 3

Beautiful looking pair of loudspeakers you have there, lucky thing

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Bodgit said:

Results of comparison listening, ACM40 MK1s vs Mk2s.
The Mk2s treble is slightly more detailed, smoother and presents a more even and integrated sound across the board, the bass is more controlled and a tad faster perhaps.

The biggest difference for me is that with the Mk1s I can not listen at high volume levels for long before I want to turn the volume down.  With the Mk2s I don't have this problem, I can crank them up; the treble is clearly sweeter and more refined and the overall sound is more cohesive.

In conclusion, the Mk2s win, there are some improvements to the treble and bass which make music easier to listen to and more integrated overall. 

I would say that’s pretty much my findings comparing the mk1 vs mk2.

Also, I would guess any speaker brand would be aiming for this sort of change going to a mk2 model. A steady evolution/ refinement, rather than a fundamental change in character.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, mtbmarkymark said:

Just though i would post this in case anyone else has the same problem with a suspended floor 

After lots of careful measuring i bought a pair of Size 2 Townshend Seismic podiums, 

I removed the 6 screws securing the original ATC plinths and used them as a template to drill mounting holes in a piece of 6mm thick MDF sized just a few mm smaller than the speakers width and depth. I painted this mini plinth black around the edge

I attached the 6mm thick mdf to the bottom of my SCM50ASLT's which allows them to fit very well on the size 2 podiums looking like they were designed for them.

IMG_20201230_162127.thumb.jpg.2a3116fe06e74d8f3f8ee18ca50e709d.jpg

May i ask has the sound of the speakers changed with the podiums in place ?

@ANADROL-50 Yes the podiums improved a problem of bass exciting the suspended wooden floor in my room. I have cellars beneath the floor so this acted like a giant guitar sound box, which then played along with the music. With the podiums bass seems cleaner and the midrange easier to follow. I would expect the improvement to be smaller if you have the speakers on a solid concrete foor. Plenty of reviews online.  

• Like 2

Hi ATC owners,

1st ever post on Wam. Please move if I’ve posted on wrong area. I’m looking to buy ATC SCM40s ( never had ATC). My thoughts are to have them as fronts on a 5.1 set up but the music is also important. I would really welcome any advice on what amp/ receiver/ both might be best. And what other speakers would suit these in the set up? My room is 6m x4m and I listen about 3.5m away. I do like the idea of late night listening amd I’ve read somewhere that these are hard to drive and may be less appealing at lower volumes; is that so? I would really welcome your advice as owners as I do think these will be great speakers for me. I thought about actives but how would that work in a bigger 5.1 set up?

Posted (edited)

Hi, BananaPlug,

Any receiver with enough power per channel will work. For the other speakers (C, rear L, rear R) it wold be best to also use ATC to ensure consistent sound between all channels.

If some of the 5 speakers are active, the receiver needs to have pre outs, so you can connect the active speakers to pre outs and the passive ones to speaker outputs. This is what I use and it works well.

I use a Marantz AV receiver, active fronts and passive centre and rears.

re lower volumes: it is a popular opinion that ATCs need to play loud to sound good. Personally, I think the reason for this is that human ear is more sensitive to bass at higher volumes, so speakers that do not have exaggerated bass may sound bass light at low volumes.

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

Hi, BananaPlug,

Any receiver with enough power per channel will work. For the other speakers (C, rear L, rear R) it wold be best to also use ATC to ensure consistent sound between all channels.

If some of the 5 speakers are active, the receiver needs to have pre outs, so you can connect the active speakers to pre outs and the passive ones to speaker outputs. This is what I use and it works well.

I use a Marantz AV receiver, active fronts and passive centre and rears.

Hi,

Thanks for your fast advice. So I can mix actives and non actives? If that’s so, does it mean that I could buy a receiver like Anthem 740 or whatever and it would allow all the speakers to work ok?

im trying to spend money wisely but getting the best sound quality I can. I gather the actives would be better than passives? The centre? CRC? Rears SCM7/11? I may have wrong numbers here. How does the 5.1 work with a receiver and what controls volume? I’m confused a bit about the fronts and how the pre-out works. Sorry if stupid!

Posted (edited)

Usually pre outs work simultaneously with speaker outs on av receivers, so you simply connect actives to pre outs and passives to speaker outs controlling the volume as usual.

I am not familiar with that Anthem. Check the spec/manual if it has multichannel pre outs. Most mid and upper range receivers do.

SCM7 or 11 will be a good match for the 40s for the rears. Centre can be C1C or C3C.

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
Posted (edited)

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-receiver/model=mrx-740/page=overview

This one does have pre outs. But most much cheaper ones will have too.So my advice would be to buy a cheaper receiver (even earlier generations) and use the budget for a subwoofer.

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

I used a Marantz AVR most recently with front speakers connected from the pre-out to an amp into passive speakers (the amp had HT pass through). I never tried it with my active 40s but they are certainly great for music and it should work fine with a mix of active and passive if the AVR is controlling volume.

I have tried my 40As with TV and they are surprisingly good for movies on their own.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

I used a Marantz AVR most recently with front speakers connected from the pre-out to an amp into passive speakers (the amp had HT pass through). I never tried it with my active 40s but they are certainly great for music and it should work fine with a mix of active and passive if the AVR is controlling volume.

I have tried my 40As with TV and they are surprisingly good for movies on their own.

Ah, you’ve hit on what I wondered; and that is do I need 5.1 if I can get a really great front soundstage. That way I could just get a great preamp that allows tv and ps5 etc. and perhaps later add a receiver if needed? Would that be good? What pre amp would I use in such cases? Or would you stick to receiver?

Hi BananaPlug and welcome to the wam and ATC section 😁

I don’t know what your budget is, but I have a pair of the Mk1 SCM40s for sale in the classifieds and also a 220w class D power amp that drives them well. A good value option, of course if you have the money then the mk2s are slightly better (only just mind) and the active 40s are a big step up. Active 50s are end game territory.

Just now, Bodgit said:

Hi BananaPlug and welcome to the wam and ATC section 😁

I don’t know what your budget is, but I have a pair of the Mk1 SCM40s for sale in the classifieds and also a 220w class D power amp that drives them well. A good value option, of course if you have the money then the mk2s are slightly better (only just mind) and the active 40s are a big step up. Active 50s are end game territory.

Hello, and thanks for your welcome. I had seen your advert. Tbh, I feel I would go for the SCM 40A having read positive reviews here by you guys. I was thinking Spendor A7.2s and I’m aware these are often compared by buyers. I haven’t heard either except for YouTube in its limited sense. I still feel the sound is good from the 40s. I am aware people

jeep saying good amps but I’d like suggestions if possible. Maybe I would spend £4-5k on amp I guess. I’m nit sure if I go preamp at this point and then buy receiver later? Also, do I need a sub?