20 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'm not clear what sort of quality options you'd have been comparing there as it will depend on the download quality, which could be identical to UHD blu-ray or lower quality. On-demand streamed content is different as it will typically be more compressed to allow home broadband connections to cope.  For context blu-ray bitrates are around 40 Mbit/s and UHD blu-ray can get as high as 144 Mbits/s (based on a 30s Google). The TV, the picture calibration settings, viewing distance and conditions will all affect comparisons.

Not saying you're 'wrong' here but just giving context. 

There are also different audio quality options across different sources of course, which I appreciate is somewhat more relevant to ATC speakers :).

fair point,  i only get ADSL, i dream of fiber so i always have to download and stream off my lan, via my pc or nas, the oppo is set to send its highest UHD possible into a 2021 Sony 4k tv also set to receive 4k UHD via hdmi fast rate cables, anything more than that is one of lifes great mysteries to me.

85" tv so if there is a big difference i would expect to see it,,, just for BananaPlug , i bought the tv with the money i saved keeping the system simple :D, warm 5k  dac that might or might not work  or new 85" Sony tv with enough change to go on holiday in the sun for a few weeks with spending money 

Edited by stevebrown
  • Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 15 week wait, they’re finally here! 

My ATC40A's have now arrived after a 6-8 week build time; and I can only concur. Just 2 boxes now; Innuos Zen Mk2 server, Audiolab M-Dac+ (integral volume control and headphone out) and active speaker

Shameless plug: https://4riverside.wordpress.com/ Insurance covers family and close friends; I think that includes all wammers... Hifi subject to change. No pets, no smoking and definitely n

Posted Images

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

I buy blu-rays, in part for better audio quality with my specific setup than is possible with streaming (using analogue outputs on an OPPO player rather than an AVR). For people after the ultimate picture quality then UHD blu-rays are better than any streaming service I'm aware of, but they are relatively expensive. Regular blu-rays are higher quality than what many people stream of course.

Been there and done the UHD home movie experience thing. The Xbox plays those discs fine.

I  believe the OP has a Node 2i, so if he goes for the SCM40A then all he really needs is a quality DAC to get the most out of the speakers. I'm not sure about the Cambridge Audio, etc, suggestions. He has a budget but it's not that constraining.

He could go for a Vega G2.x  and it's a great bit of kit and he wouldn't need his Node, assuming he can connect to his router by ethernet cable as it has no WiFi. No preamp needed either.

A TT2 works very well with the speakers (not at all bright and reviews I saw before buying described it as a warmer DAC than what came before it), no preamp required and the Node could be used for streaming, maybe with a linear PSU  (I think  there might be a  thread about that...). 

I've found that the optical out from the  TV into the system provides a surprisingly excellent movie experience.

The speakers are the  main thing to get  right and SMC40A are fantastic. A great one-box solution is the Vega or use your Node 2i  and  get a  great  DAC like the TT2 or something else within your budget. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, stevebrown said:

85" tv so if there is a big difference i would expect to see it,,, just for BananaPlug , i bought the tv with the money i saved keeping the system simple

Doesn't keeping things simple mean box count?  I've not got many boxes and it wasn't particularly cheap. It sounds great though.

27 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

Doesn't keeping things simple mean box count?  I've not got many boxes and it wasn't particularly cheap. It sounds great though.

yep, i have a graveyard full of  boxes , pres amps cds, record decks, , but now i keep it simple, oppo205 into W4s pre into atc actives, 2 pairs of xlr cables, with a tv sitting inbetween and i mostly use my pc to feed everything,,, the w4s is because it gives much better control over volume levels and doesn`t damage the sound in any way and leaves me with the option of connections to the graveyard if i ever want to dig vinyl out etc

i think the above with or without a tv receiver is about as low as you can get to give a tv/music/streaming solution

this hobby is rarely cheap, but quality over quantity wins out in the long run every time, hence the graveyard

Edited by stevebrown
1 minute ago, stevebrown said:

anything more than that is one of lifes great mysteries to me.

It's definitely worth you changing this as odds are you are HUGELY missing out. Not really a discussion for here though. A simple Google for recommended settings for TV would probably get you a long way. HDTVtest (on YouTube) and Rtings are good sources. Optimising settings like brightness will require a simple calibration disc like Spears and Munsel, although on my LG C9 the right picture mode (isf Expert - Dark Room) was very close 'out of the box' for me. The default picture mode however was utterly crap, as they are with most TVs.

13 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

Been there and done the UHD home movie experience thing. The Xbox plays those discs fine.

Just in case you care there are limitations of the Series X as a UHD blu-ray player (the PS5 is closer to the performance of a dedicated player) but I totally get being happy with it. For context I don't buy or watch UHD blu-rays by the way, just regular blu-rays that I play on my Oppo.

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It's definitely worth you changing this as odds are you are HUGELY missing out. Not really a discussion for here though. A simple Google for recommended settings for TV would probably get you a long way. HDTVtest (on YouTube) and Rtings are good sources. Optimising settings like brightness will require a simple calibration disc like Spears and Munsel, although on my LG C9 the right picture mode (isf Expert - Dark Room) was very close 'out of the box' for me. The default picture mode however was utterly crap, as they are with most TVs.

Hi did it, a bit of youtube from the experts , switched off a few motion settings and set the brightness to taste, very very happy with the picture now, bar keeping reflections away , sad fact of real life in my bright house,  i really couldn`t be happier with either the tv picture, upscaling is amazing 4k even more so, and i love my atc music,, lifes good for the few moments i escape the reality of covid .brexit and Tory corruption.

Edited by stevebrown
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, stevebrown said:

yep, i have a graveyard full of  boxes , pres amps cds, record decks, , but now i keep it simple, oppo205 into W4s pre into atc actives, 2 pairs of xlr cables, with a tv sitting inbetween and i mostly use my pc to feed everything,,, the w4s is because it gives much better control over volume levels and doesn`t damage the sound in any way and leaves me with the option of connections to the graveyard if i ever want to dig vinyl out etc

i think the above with or without a tv receiver is about as low as you can get to give a tv/music/streaming solution

this hobby is rarely cheap, but quality over quantity wins out in the long run every time, hence the graveyard

Well you could have just one box - a decent streaming DAC taking audio from the TV as well, straight into speakers. As he already has a streamer all he really needs is a DAC. 

Anyway, it's the ATC thread... xD

1 hour ago, Griff500 said:

Well you could have just one box - a decent streaming DAC taking audio from the TV as well, straight into speakers. As he already has a streamer all he really needs is a DAC. 

Anyway, it's the ATC thread... xD

well done matey, we both managed to sneak the "ATC" bit in at the last minute

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, stevebrown said:

fair point,  i only get ADSL, i dream of fiber so i always have to download and stream off my lan, via my pc or nas, the oppo is set to send its highest UHD possible into a 2021 Sony 4k tv also set to receive 4k UHD via hdmi fast rate cables, anything more than that is one of lifes great mysteries to me.

85" tv so if there is a big difference i would expect to see it,,, just for BananaPlug , i bought the tv with the money i saved keeping the system simple :D, warm 5k  dac that might or might not work  or new 85" Sony tv with enough change to go on holiday in the sun for a few weeks with spending money 

Hah,

I am also looking at the 85 A90J but given my hifi needs that’s now defo into the long distance. Rick at Musicraft has me interested in Meitner so I can only hope it fits my wish/need for that warmer not so clinical sound. I have an oppo 83 and I’m not sure if that fits the same use as you have for yours. 

23 hours ago, stevebrown said:

try the Lampizator range of DACs very impressive and tend towards the warm end of things, but keeping simple which is what you said would imply using something like the opp/cambridge etc as your dac as well as player/streamer

BUT, warm,, don`t get it, i listen to a lot of female vocalists, Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy, all the jaz greats, Holliday, Fitzgerald etc and through my very basic system they don`t sound warm, they sound REAL, like being there in the middle of a great concert venue,, i also like Billie Elish and she can sound warm, because its recorded like that then she can make my floorboards vibrate,, same system based on the fact it produces realism, if it was all a warm muddy mush i wouldn`t like it half as much.

Starts getting messy,  you say simple system for the real world, music and tv, do you really want to warm your tv and movie sound, for egample explosions to sound like someone thumping a cushion rather than BANG, do you want to bypass the dac for tv, music only etc, starts getting less simple by the minute.

reason i like oppo into Atc actives is its real for everything, tv/movie/music , it lives in todays real world, but its not warm and mushy, its REAL and is only warm when it should be

Hi

not been here for a day or two and missed this. I agree with your vocal description and what you describe. I suppose what I should say is that I don’t want a treble forward presentation with harsh/ tinny voices that override midrange fullness. I’ve heard B&Ws can be a bit tweeter biased in their presentation but I am happy to be corrected. I suppose I don’t want my preamp to make the sound cold. I’ve had Naim into Dynaudio as my previous kit and that is 30 years old. Tells you how long ago I ventured into hifi! So I’m sure you guys will know that sound and it’s pros and cons.

On 13/03/2021 at 10:23, stevebrown said:

ATC is not really about "warm sound", its based on real life studio recording monitors that let you hear whats actually recorded, warts and all, if the recording is great it will sound great, rubbish sounds rubbish, they will not tube style warm things up and invent space where it does not exist. Nor will it enhance the bass boy racer style so its drowns out the crap recording and or crap system its hiding. Really they are for people who like to hear it like it is.

However there is a perfect preamp for sale right here , puresound l300 and if i didn`t already have what i need i would buy it to use with my atcs, it will "warm things up a little" and give a great soundstage, check the for sale forum 

I have seen that l300 listing. I did enquire and am interested. I just don’t know enough about valve things ( that statement tells you 😂). Will it allow me to connect my Tv etc. Bluenode? And what maintenance is required for valves?  
How do I know it works ? 

49 minutes ago, BananaPlug said:

I have seen that l300 listing. I did enquire and am interested. I just don’t know enough about valve things ( that statement tells you 😂). Will it allow me to connect my Tv etc. Bluenode? And what maintenance is required for valves?  
How do I know it works ? 

its a very well reviewed preamp for music and other people have used it and reported very impressive results with ATC speakers

Regarding maintenance, not sure how automated this is, some regulate themselves, others you have to adjust periodically, you will hear when thats necessary ,you will also have to change the valves every few years, baring failures because they slowly wear out. This has an unusually high number of valves for a preamp, 10 i think.

It has 5 or 6, sorry can`t rememeber how many, look at the for sale ad RCA inputs, if your kit has rca outputs its fine with everything.

From this seller i`m certain it works, but ask him for a return if it doesn`t or arrange to go and test it covid permitting.

Its BIG so make sure it fits on your rack.

Its really for music, no idea its its equally good for tv, again ask the seller.

good luck

1 hour ago, BananaPlug said:

Hah,

I am also looking at the 85 A90J but given my hifi needs that’s now defo into the long distance. Rick at Musicraft has me interested in Meitner so I can only hope it fits my wish/need for that warmer not so clinical sound. I have an oppo 83 and I’m not sure if that fits the same use as you have for yours. 

All the oppos are good with similar ins and outs but obviously the higher up the range the better it sounds, i`ve seen a few 105s for sale around 600 and in my opinion at that price its a steal, the new Cambridge Audio stuff also gets decent reviews and deliver very similar things.

write down what you want to use in total, bluenode etc and make sure whatever you buy is compatable, ins/outs etc

Perhaps a new thread would be a  good idea to discuss various options. I'm the last person to talk about threads going off-topic but  this is the ATC owners thread... :P