1 minute ago, Griff500 said:

Oh dear. All ok I hope...

No, unfortunately it was mostly spent on an MRI that revealed an inoperable tumour. But thanks for caring. I think he won’t last the week. 

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 15 week wait, they’re finally here! 

My ATC40A's have now arrived after a 6-8 week build time; and I can only concur. Just 2 boxes now; Innuos Zen Mk2 server, Audiolab M-Dac+ (integral volume control and headphone out) and active speaker

Shameless plug: https://4riverside.wordpress.com/ Insurance covers family and close friends; I think that includes all wammers... Hifi subject to change. No pets, no smoking and definitely n

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

No, unfortunately it was mostly spent on an MRI that revealed an inoperable tumour. But thanks for caring. I think he won’t last the week. 

Sorry to hear that buddy. They're part of the family. 

• Like 1
On 14/03/2021 at 11:53, Griff500 said:

It's 83" and I'm waiting for that as well. Looks awesome. Now we are talking about TVs, so I reckon starting a thread to discuss your non-ATC requirements would be a good idea as more people will see it and contribute than just those looking at the ATC owners threads.

Don`t agree, well i do agree the oled is 83" and megabucks, 

But i don`t agree that including a discussion about tvs on the ATC thread is not appropriate , personally one of my significant reasons for using ATC actives is because in the real world most people don`t have "tubes and horns for jaz"`, "ss and B and Ws for rock" and a seperate home cinema surround system , ok some do, but back to reality and i like to think of my ATC actives as perfect for the real world most of us live in of multi use, music/home cinema, and therefore finding good compatable tvs to work with them is a very important discussion. I went with Sony and either input from my oppo or direct out from optical TV  work great.

Important to know ATC work well as `home cinema`, many speakers don`t. I had/have 3 sets of Sonus Fabers, all great for music, all 3 absolutely sucked for tv 

Edited by stevebrown
add
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, stevebrown said:

Don`t agree, well i do agree the oled is 83" and megabucks, 

But i don`t agree that including a discussion about tvs on the ATC thread is not appropriate , personally one of my significant reasons for using ATC actives is because in the real world most people don`t have "tubes and horns for jaz"`, "ss and B and Ws for rock" and a seperate home cinema surround system , ok some do, but back to reality and i like to think of my ATC actives as perfect for the real world most of us live in of multi use, music/home cinema, and therfore finding good compatable tvs to work with them is a very important discussion. I went with Sony and either input from my oppo or direct out from optical TV  work great 

I wouldn't describe it as 'megabucks'. It's not the cheapest option on the market, but the best options never are. It's also far from being the most expensive.  Let's face facts  - you talk about people in the 'real world' but the inhabitants of the 'real world' would think we are insane spending the money we do on HiFi. xD

"Finding good compatible TVs to work with them"... I don't see how a TV could be incompatible with the speakers and the brand you have chosen is irrelevant.

If you want to educate me on how a TV that sends an audio signal to another component before it hits the speakers could be incompatible with those speakers then maybe DM me or start a topic on TVs? 

I don't think it's worth polluting the thread with this so I'll leave it there.

• Sad 1

i think to describe discussing tv and ATC in the same thread as "polluting" is a bit ridiculous.

Lots of people use their ATC speakers for TV and music and today there is a direct relationship just as much as discussing amps`pre`s etc its all part of the hobby.

Personally i was happy to state categorically for people here thinking of using or buying ATC for use in home cinema that it works superbly.

I was interested in reading your posting where you described how you linked your optical out from your tv into the chain and were very happy with the results, certainly people previously might not have considered a tv set as a suitable input source. 

My recent experience is similar, previously i would never have introduced a tv as a source using aTC actives as my output, but on a 2021 tv with better quality and more diverse outputs i`m very happy to state that using both windows 10 cast and Chrome cast via a dongle and direct from the TV also  produce excellent results as the input source to a chain ending with ATC actives, to me its valuble knowledge, not pollution.

I started down this line saying that my Sonus Faber speakers could never produce good results as tv speakers come what may, but was delighted that i and others including you were having good results with ATC.,

But i suppose one mans valuble information will always be someone elses pollution 

Edited by stevebrown
  • Like 1

I found this video which i believe shows how "ATC speakers" tune their excellent drive units !

(yes its a joke folks so apologies in advance if it "offends". See it as an early april fools or something !).

On 17/03/2021 at 21:58, ANADROL-50 said:

ATC Transducer. A precision monitoring instrument.

I think I should have a copyright or something along these lines on this :D

ATC designs and build monitors. They are flat and honest. They have been designed to reveal the quality of what they are fed with as effectively as possible. The only way around this look at speakers which warm up the sound. However this warmth is distortion. So there’s the choice.

ATC Transducer. The sound of accuracy :)

• Like 1

Hi,

im back here 😂. So good to hear @stevebrown about the ‘real world’ use of ATCs. I’m after the same thing; one speaker pair to do it all. My travels to other kingdoms have brought me to denafrips Venus. Has anyone tried this with the ATC actives? Will still need a good preamp but...

On 18/03/2021 at 14:09, stevebrown said:

i think to describe discussing tv and ATC in the same thread as "polluting" is a bit ridiculous.

Lots of people use their ATC speakers for TV and music and today there is a direct relationship just as much as discussing amps`pre`s etc its all part of the hobby.

Personally i was happy to state categorically for people here thinking of using or buying ATC for use in home cinema that it works superbly.

I was interested in reading your posting where you described how you linked your optical out from your tv into the chain and were very happy with the results, certainly people previously might not have considered a tv set as a suitable input source. 

My recent experience is similar, previously i would never have introduced a tv as a source using aTC actives as my output, but on a 2021 tv with better quality and more diverse outputs i`m very happy to state that using both windows 10 cast and Chrome cast via a dongle and direct from the TV also  produce excellent results as the input source to a chain ending with ATC actives, to me its valuble knowledge, not pollution.

I started down this line saying that my Sonus Faber speakers could never produce good results as tv speakers come what may, but was delighted that i and others including you were having good results with ATC.,

But i suppose one mans valuble information will always be someone elses pollution 

You seem upset.  9_9

There's nothing wrong with saying that the speakers work great with TV - we've both said that and it's relevant. :^

Maybe I'm unusual, but if I come to an ATC thread to read about ATC speakers I don't want to trawl through pages of discussion about TVs. Optical out from a TV for audio has been absolutely fine for years and telling people they need a new TV to get the best sound quality from their TV is not 'valuable information'  - it's misinformation.

As for using a Chromecast dongle... it's great for the money because it costs bugger all but let's not confuse it with a quality source.

1 minute ago, Griff500 said:

You seem upset.  9_9

There's nothing wrong with saying that the speakers work great with TV - we've both said that and it's relevant. :^

Maybe I'm unusual, but if I come to an ATC thread to read about ATC speakers I don't want to trawl through pages of discussion about TVs. Optical out from a TV for audio has been absolutely fine for years and telling people they need a new TV to get the best sound quality from their TV is not 'valuable information'  - it's misinformation.

As for using a Chromecast dongle... it's great for the money because it costs bugger all but let's not confuse it with a quality source.

not upset , a tiny bit annoyed, maybe, but nothing to write home about.

After 5 years of trolls, mostly of the Corbyn Labliar, Tory thug  and Brexit variety trying to control every discussion i suppose i`m even more a freedom of info, say whatever you think is appropriate kind of guy, plus i did see the relevance of the tv thing to the atc thread.

But there you go, no hard feelings and lets all be hifi atc buddies once more

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, BananaPlug said:

Hi,

im back here 😂. So good to hear @stevebrown about the ‘real world’ use of ATCs. I’m after the same thing; one speaker pair to do it all. My travels to other kingdoms have brought me to denafrips Venus. Has anyone tried this with the ATC actives? Will still need a good preamp but...

Hi, if i was you :D this is what i would do.

buy your new or used active ATC speakers, very easy to sell on if they don`t work out for you.

Find your old oppo box , stick 2 xlr cables out of the back and there you go a complete system.

Then evaluate what you think is missing from the sound, if anything  and try to match up a dac to fill the gap.

Personally i think virtually all DACS over 1000 perform very well, like all mid and top range hifi they just offer different flavours to the music and if you buy one that allows you to play with different filters, like the oppo 205 then i`m sure that basically its hard to pick a bad one for normal listening,,, of course zillionaires would think differently, good old solid gold connectors and all 

Good luck 

Edited by stevebrown
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Musicraft said:

I think I should have a copyright or something along these lines on this :D

ATC designs and build monitors. They are flat and honest. They have been designed to reveal the quality of what they are fed with as effectively as possible. The only way around this look at speakers which warm up the sound. However this warmth is distortion. So there’s the choice.

ATC Transducer. The sound of accuracy :)

I thought it was an ATC advertising line !

ATC loudspeakers are ace !

Edited by ANADROL-50
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is looking, a pair of current model of ATC SCM40A speakers has just been advertised at £4000 over on Pink Fish Media.

2 hours ago, Ward said:

In case anyone is looking, a pair of current model of ATC SCM40A speakers has just been advertised at £4000 over on Pink Fish Media.

I think they are on eBay also

3 hours ago, Ward said:

You beat me to it! I just put a link to this in the eBay Links area and popped in to do same here. This is an absolutely unbeatable price. He who hesitates will regret. Amazing opportunity.

No connection with seller.