ATC

AlmaAtaKZ

Posted (edited)
I'm glad it works so well for you. Did you watch the film?

The Linn SO algorithm looks to me as if it's largely guesswork, with no in-room measurements. Real furnished rooms are more complex.

Also, any sort of DSP can only try to "correct" for one particular listening location. Move a couple of feet either side, or front or back, and you will hear a very peculiar signal - still DSP-ed, but at the wrong location.

It's better to spend a long time carefully positioning your speakers by ear, as outlined above.

I don't share your confidence in Linn being synonymous with "musical", except in their marketing spiels.

I can watch it at some point. Have you tried Linn SO or any other DSP on your system since you seem to know so much about room correction? I have respect for Ben and I’ve watched some other Q&A videos from him. I’m sure he knows what’s best for ATC’s.

Yes Linn’s approach is unique but it works. You should check further into the SO to know how many aspects of room and speakers it covers. Like many other speakers, 50ASL is also measured for SO. 

Obviously you first look for the best speaker location without correction and only after that tune the SO. This applies to any DSP tuning. More than often you can’t place speakers 1-2 meters away from back/side wall since they’d sit in middle of room then. That’s where SO helps. I have very limited space where I must position the speakers. 

Correction works best for one spot but helps anywhere in room at the same time. It doesn’t differ from the fact that you tune your system to sound best to the sweet spot even without any DSP. Irrelevant point whatsoever. 

If it won’t bother you too much, I’ll continue with SO working great in my system. Feel free to tune your setup the way you find best. 

EDIT: Gave a look for the video and it’s about studio speakers installation in studio environment. It’s hardly the same thing as installing speakers to your living room where you always need to compromise.

Edited by Patu
  • Confused 1

Sorry I've upset you. I was trying to help, but obviously in reality, I don't give a monkey's what you do!

Don't bother watching the film, you already know it all.

4 hours ago, Blzebub said:

Sorry I've upset you. I was trying to help, but obviously in reality, I don't give a monkey's what you do!

Don't bother watching the film, you already know it all.

It can be frustrating to be told that DSP ruins your system when it’s complete opposite in my case. I watched the video and it’s good basic information about spekaer placement and how they interact with room. Not much new info though. As I told earlier, I don’t live in a studio so placing the speakers in room is a compromise with many other things. That’s where things like Linn SO or DSP come in help and can really make massive improvements to the sound quality. 

• Like 1

I don't live in a studio, either. Acoustic problems are common to studios and rooms because a studio is a room.

Enjoy the 50s, lovely speakers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Minicoupeman said:

Harping back a bit. I totally agree with Papu re 19’s - sharp. 40’s much less so.  A friend has active ‘40’s, I have passive 19’s. We both agree that the Signiture sound is the same but mine are ‘sharper’.  Is a matter of taste. I intend to try passive 40’s in my room sometime but I am very happy with what I have. If there is advice. Be careful. Taste over cost.

Yes agreed. I am after a specific sound and will decide on how things work with my kit and room.

I like your philosophy of taste over cost:^.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Minicoupeman said:

Harping back a bit. I totally agree with Papu re 19’s - sharp. 40’s much less so.  A friend has active ‘40’s, I have passive 19’s. We both agree that the Signiture sound is the same but mine are ‘sharper’.  Is a matter of taste. I intend to try passive 40’s in my room sometime but I am very happy with what I have. If there is advice. Be careful. Taste over cost.

Agree, it's a matter of taste (and synergy with room). I auditioned passive 19's and 40's and I narrowly preferred the 19's. Better coherency and suitability for near field listening. The 40's are better for a pleasant room filling sound; I liked the mid on the 40 but wasn't convinced by the bass.

The only time I've felt the 19's were "sharp" was when the upstream components were "sharp" ;-) 

Edited by Heckyman

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Heckyman said:

Agree, it's a matter of taste (and synergy with room). I auditioned passive 19's and 40's and I narrowly preferred the 19's. Better coherency and suitability for near field listening. The 40's are better for a pleasant room filling sound; I liked the mid on the 40 but wasn't convinced by the bass.

The only time I've felt the 19's were "sharp" was when the upstream components were "sharp" ;-) 

Yes, I am of the opinion that a speaker as good as atc 19 active or passive will perform to the quality of signal it's fed.

I am very comfortable with my electronics which gives me confidence and flexibility to experiment with both passive and active 19's, scm20's and will give the 40's a listen with an open mind. 

I am wanting a transparent and revealing speaker which is why

I am initially drawn to the 20's.  

Restek when demoing at Munich often use the big ATC's with their monster mono amps so very confident about synergy.

Edited by hiesteem
  • Like 1

I've been experimenting with toe-in for few days now. Huge effects in my room. I initially had the 50's at 16 degree toe-in, which sounds excellent but I wanted to try out little less toe-in to widen up the sweet spot so I opened them up to 12 degrees and ran the SO with new settings. Just... worse. Slightly wider soundstage maybe but I lost focus in sound and bass lost some punch. Less livelier presentation. Today I toed them to 15 degrees and ran the new settings in SO again and it's much better. They're placed so that I see small part of the inner side of the speakers from my sweet spot. 

How's your experience with toe-in with ATC's? I guess they like proper toe-in and it's also what ATC recommends in the manual but I've seen people using 150ASL's with 0 toe-in.  

• Like 1

Same toe in as you - I can just see the inside panels - with my 19’s.  You have to experiment.  Toe in makes as much difference to SQ as the distance from the walls.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patu said:

They're placed so that I see small part of the inner side of the speakers from my sweet spot.

That seems to be a good rule of thumb. 

• Like 1

Same toe in as you - I can just see the inside panels - with my 19’s.  You have to experiment.  Toe in makes as much difference to SQ as the distance from the walls.

I wish I had more room to play with the distance from walls but the space is quite limited for that. I have taken them as far from the back wall as my better half accepts (which is around 80cm measured from the front baffle to the back wall). Right speaker is 60cm from the side wall so quite close. I have one bass trap behind this speaker. This is where Linn SO helps a lot.

I don’t remeber 40A being this sensitive to toe-in though. It’s maybe slightly easier to position in room.

I also experimented with Grimm TPR XLR-cable against Linn Silver XLR. Grimm had leaner sound signature with slightly more clarity but Silver’s provide more weight and better punch and reach in the lows. Overall there’s slightly warmer sound with Silvers. I think I prefer Silvers in my setup.

Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2021 at 18:45, Patu said:

EDIT: Gave a look for the video and it’s about studio speakers installation in studio environment. It’s hardly the same thing as installing speakers to your living room where you always need to compromise.

Personally i thought the video was great, nice to understand the science why you might have issues and great tips from the studio especially about cancelling out reflections that are easy to apply at home, properly placed furniture, bookshelfs or curtains are easy fixes for bass issues, i thought it was very worthwhile.

i find most minor issues and they are very forgiving speakers can be fixed by pulling the speakers slightly further out into the room, mine are on wheels specifically for this purpose, out to listen, back towards the wall for the wife dogs and any little visitors that might prefer it

enjoy your speakers, i have the same and love them.

Edited by stevebrown
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, some big and dense furniture like sofa might help with bass frequencies. I have one bass trap also. Living room decoration is something I won’t decide only by myself so very limited options there. I was able to place one bass trap in the worst corner and there’s a plant on it already. :) 

And thanks Steve, enjoying the speakers as I write the message. Amazed by them every day. 

Edited by Patu

i used room correction-DSP for home cinema and it was a  help, not really convinced its significantly helpful for stereo music listening, personally i find it creates as many issues as it solves especially with ATC where the ambition is to hear what was actually recorded by the best professionals in the world, not what someone playing around at home thinks is best

• Like 1