HiFiWigwam

Is There A Big Jazz Following Here?

Admin

My dad was quite a famous jazz trumpet player and I wondered if there was interest in Jazz on the forum. He was a big band leader, played with Ted Heath, Joe Loss and Humphry Littleton and I have all his boxes of music that he wrote and also have 22 music stands I built for him. Sadly he passed away 5 years ago but we just uncovered some treasures of his music recorded in 1963.

• Upvote 2

I love Jazz, it's probably the genre I play most of. Less of a fan of Big Band Jazz, I prefer cool, West Coast Jazz like Miles Davis, Gerry Mulligan, Stan Getz, Dave Brubeck etc. However, I have a fair bit of Humph and other UK Jazz artists...Sandy Brown for example.

Would love to hear some of your father's recordings. 

S.

Well, let's see. I have about 400 Jazz albums, from late 40's Miles Davis to current Prog Jazz (if that's a term - thinking Jaga Jazzist & the likes here), my Tidal favourites is heavily populated by Jazz, I regularly attend Jazz concerts and festivals and have today listened to some Ornette Colman MQA titles on Tidal. At present listening to Matthew Halsall (jazz trumpeter, amongst much else, if you weren't aware) sounding sublime oon thsi rainy Sunday afternon. So, that's a yes then!

Not so much in to Big Band stuff, but that's not from dislike; more a matter of inexperience.

Jazz is where you end up, once you've developed serious musical taste and discernment :D

Big Jazz fan here, especially the ECM and ACT labels 

I listen to a fair bit of jazz, if you look through the ' what are you listening to' section jazz seems popular.. 

Personal favourites include , Bill Evans , Ben Webster, Christian mcbride , Oliver Nelson, Gerry mulligan, Chris potter, bud Powell and Charles Mingus.. 

I listen to a fair bit of jazz, from E.S.T and Jaga Jazzist through to Miles, Duke Ellington, Alice Coltrane and into the Latin spectrum with Eddie Palmieri and others. Growing up, my best friend's father was a top session drummer and percussionist so I was often at gigs and listening to him in the studio.

Edited by oldius

Super Wammer

I like Miles Davis, Stan Getz , Gerry mulligan and Chris Barber to name a few.

7 minutes ago, greybeard said:

I like Miles Davis, Stan Getz , Gerry mulligan and Chris Barber to name a few.

Mulligan has a playful flair I particularly enjoy ( to my untrained ears :S

Super Wammer

For light listening I enjoy a bit of |George Melly and Jon Chilterns feetwarmers :)

Not an all out Jazz fan, but sort of getting into this stuff at the moment. Funky soul jazz fusion maybe ?

Ah, it jumps i think. xD

Edited by Hap Hazzard
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Jazz funk is cool :cool:

I'll watch with interest, I maybe just need educating more. :^

There is quite a large following for Jazz here. Many of the Yorkshire lads cant get enough.

Its just that Jazz  is for folks above a certain level of intellect and that rules out many on here,  and in particular most of those from Yorkshire.

those who have seen the light, tend to keep it quiet for fear of mocking etc etc,  but Im happy to tell you that are alive, well and are hooked on Jazz.

Many of these fine wammers seem to Pm me from time to time looking for advice about who is cool,  or not,  and Im happy to help.

I have promised not to reveal names,  but be assured,  they are here, waiting for the day when they can reveal their new found passion for proper music.

• Upvote 1

Admin

Then we should let the shackles off and I'm proud of what dad di as a musician, I'm going to start up a Jazz forum.

4 minutes ago, HiFiWigwam said:

Then we should let the shackles off and I'm proud of what dad di as a musician, I'm going to start up a Jazz forum.

Cool, just don't split the 'listening to now ' thread up into genres.. It works so very well with everyone posting their music in one thread, you can get introduced to things you might of never Been exposed to by doing this.:)

Edited by atomic606
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3