Sign in to follow this  
Spider

Cartridges that suit Alphason HR100S mcs

Just got Alphason HR100S MCS back from AO having had new cart tags fitted and a clean bill of health declared.

I've spent the evening fitting it to my Acoustic Signature Challenger. Since I've never owned one of these before I was wondering if any of you have experience of this tonearm and in particular any cartridges you've had that were a particularly good match with it.

Bandit Pilot has told me he liked it with a Benz Micro Ace SL, so that's one, any other opinions or successes would be appreciated.

thanks

• Upvote 1

Hi Spider,

The HR100S is a superb tonearm, and one of the best ever made, so don't think in any way it's inferior to what's made now, just because it's old :)

It's certainly capable of taking any quality MC cartridge you can think of, up to any price, providing your T/T and phono stage are up to it. There are any number of superb MCs on the market now, but one I have personal experience with and think would suit your arm perfectly (if you can find one) is a Denon DL-S1. 

Not sure what your budget is, but here's a nice one on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282328927249?clk_rvr_id=1155765216674&rmvSB=true

In my experience, for clarity, information retrieval, musicality - you name it. the DL-S1 nails it, and can sonically outperform cartridges costing many times more. A true gem and highly recommended, if your partnering phono stage has sufficient gain to handle its low-output.

Marco.

Dl-s1 is a brilliant shout.

I also use a Denon DL-S1 with my Alphason HR100S MCS. A very happy match.

1 hour ago, paul(555) said:

I also use a Denon DL-S1 with my Alphason HR100S MCS. A very happy match.

Thought it might be, Paul, based on my own experience. Thanks for confirming :^

Marco.

1 hour ago, oldius said:

Dl-s1 is a brilliant shout.

Hi Geoff,

How's it going, mate? Good to see you over here. Are you going to Scalford? If so, might see you there :cool:

Marco.

I'm at Scalford Marco, yes. See you there.

Are you exhibiting, Geoff? If so, what kit are you bringing? :)

Marco.

I intend to Marco. I'm uncertain which kit, either Yamaha NS1000M or JBL 4312 speakers with either my Nakamichi amps, a Denon PMA850 or Lentek integrated. Technics SHX-1000 or Kinshaw Perception DAC and an SBT. Let's not hijack the Alphason thread though!

Okies... All your kit interests me, but the Lentek especially. Wonder how their iconic MC head amp would work with your integrated? Mmm... 

Do you have a thread started about your system where we can take this discussion to? If so pop me a linky :cool:

Marco.

Hi Spider -

Ive got a J7 Xenon and, more to the point, an HR 100S MCS. My H100 has the undamped tube - later ones had the tube damped with a filler of some kind. However, I use it in a Cranfield Rock which, as everyone knows, has arm damping applied at the cartridge end - so that does the damping. Speedysteve, who rewired it with silver through to the plugs, said that the lack of tube filler made his job a lot easier.

I have only used an Ortofon Cadenza Blue in it and I am very happy with the match.

I cant comment on the Denon (above) but I have heard the Benz Wood MC in an Origin Live Encounter (I think) on a heavily modded Rega that did very well in a TT bake off last January here at my place. The Benz and the Cadenza Blue would be good candidates imo. The Blue has a fast articulate bass.

I also have recommended my AT33PTG elsewhere and I wouldnt put you off that either (at a lower price point).

However, compared to some I dont have the budget to have tried a large number of cartridges so someone like Rabski might be more help to you.

Jack NSM