Sign in to follow this  
simon g

The Pat Metheny Thread

We really can't have a Jazz forum without a thread dedicated to what has been one of the biggest names in Jazz for the past 35-40 years. Perhaps threads could be started to discuss/introduce other big names in Jazz?

I've been a big fan of Mr Metheny for around 35 years (I have every CD and DVD released) or so and have been to many of his concerts, both in the UK, Europe & US. Most recently I saw him at Ronnie Scott's in London. That was the perfect venue, IMO. Sitting just a few feet away from the band, excellent acoustics/sound and Pat and the Band were on scintillating form. OK, it was very expensive (£150 each just or the ticket, which was face value not a silly tout's price) but worth every penny. I would go again in a heart beat.

There have been many excellent albums over the years (none of which is a duffer, IMO), but I suppose 'Secret Story' is possibly at the top of the list. A great album to introduce you to Pat's music is 'Travels', which is a live album with material from the early(ish) years. Some say that he's lost his way a bit of late, but I disagree. I really rate 'Kin' (available on Tidal in MQA) , for example and the Unity Band just continues to highlight the talent Pat has for many different music formats.

Pat has performed with many names in the world of Jazz. His work with Brad Mehldau is certinly worth exploring.

Web site at: http://www.patmetheny.com

I could go on all day, but how about hearing from others with favourite Pat Metheny albums/concerts, anecdotes, or whatever?

• Like 1

Agreed with all of the above :^

I saw Pat at Ronnie's back in 1988 (I think!) which was a fabulous experience - sadly not had chance to see him again. I don't have everything he's recorded, but a reasonable selection nonetheless. 

Favourites? They're all good. :)

Given a choice though...

First Circle, Travels, Works 1, Still Life, Letter From Home - and another really worth checking out is 'One Quiet Night' which PM recorded at home with a single mic and baritone guitar (that's normal acoustic with extended tuning 'Nashville style'). Gorgeous.

Special mention also to Michael Brecker's first album where Pat makes up the band.

Edited by Gromit
  • Upvote 1

& of course, let's not forget that Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays (the heart of The Pat Metheny Group) played on tour live with Joni Mitchell - take a listen to 'Shadows & Light'

28 minutes ago, simon g said:

& of course, let's not forget that Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays (the heart of The Pat Metheny Group) played on tour live with Joni Mitchell - take a listen to 'Shadows & Light'

Thanks for the tip, Simon - will check that out. :^

8 hours ago, Gromit said:

Agreed with all of the above :^

I saw Pat at Ronnie's back in 1988 (I think!) which was a fabulous experience - sadly not had chance to see him again. I don't have everything he's recorded, but a reasonable selection nonetheless. 

Favourites? They're all good. :)

Given a choice though...

First Circle, Travels, Works 1, Still Life, Letter From Home - and another really worth checking out is 'One Quiet Night' which PM recorded at home with a single mic and baritone guitar (that's normal acoustic with extended tuning 'Nashville style'). Gorgeous.

Special mention also to Michael Brecker's first album where Pat makes up the band.

I might have been there (Ronnie's). It was a favourite hangout of mine in the 80s, as I was working in London. That and Pizza on the Park were brilliant jazz places.

Fantastic musician, and one that I really need to add more of to my daft collection.

• Upvote 1

Never seen him Live but have been a big fan since the early nineties.

Although it has not dated well , We Live Here is my favorite album. Kin was ( IMHO ) stunning.

Favorite tracks - To the end of the world ( We Live Here ) And so may it secretly begin ( Still Life Talking ) A place in the world ( Speaking Of Now )

Have seen Pat Metheny on numerous occasions here in the States, superbly gifted musician, composer and performer. But to a lot of he will be best known for his glorious takedown of Kenny G ->  http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm  

Am at a loss for words to describe the utter ... of it all.

Seen Pat and PMG many times over the years. Most memorable gigs was PMG on Boston Common, one glorious summer evening in the mid 80s, with the city lights all around. Another was Pat and Charlie Haden playing Beyond the Missouri Sky at the Barbican ... some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. 

....and he appears on others music.  (Looks at adjacent CD shelf...)

Enrique Morente being the one you're least likely to encounter. (Suena la Alhambra)

But many more-Milton Nascimento. Try Gary Burton?

'Upogenie' by Ana Maria Jopek (Polish) is Pat's music, with him appearing at times.

Heard recent interview with Lyle Mays- who's now more a computer progammer, apparently! Says he never listened to Jazz!

I saw him a few times in 80s-amazing in concert.But that IS 30+ years back! But there are still people wantting to hear stuff from then.

He/they move on!

Super Wammer
On 1/19/2017 at 08:34, Gromit said:

Great thread. I'm playing my old copy of Works now, and bought 'What's It All About' a few weeks ago. It's the follow up to 'One Quiet Night'. Beautiful, with the tuning giving a very distinctive sound, somewhat reminiscent of Michael Hedges to my very untutored ear.

Orchestrion is impressive but musically less interesting to me. I saw a very good used copy of the Unity Sessions on vinyl recently in our local indie record shop but baulked at the price. Maybe I should go back.

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 08:39, simon g said:

Vintage tv often show Joni playing 'free man in Paris' with Pat on guitar duties.

V

Vintage tv often show Joni playing 'free man in Paris' with Pat on guitar duties.  

Well I promise I only clicked send once. 

For those that hadn't seen it announced, Mr Metheny will be at The Barbican later this year. There may be a few tickets still available.

On 05/03/2017 at 17:46, simon g said:

For those that hadn't seen it announced, Mr Metheny will be at The Barbican later this year. There may be a few tickets still available.

Ordered my tickets, & looking forward to my 7th Metheny gig :)

There isn't much I don't have from his multiple works. A new acquisition is the Eberhard Weber 75th Anniversary concert DVD, where he does a 30+ minute piece with orchestra based on filmed Weber bass improvisations, playing onscreen in the background - it's quite hypnotic and really well done (Weber suffered a stroke a few years ago and can no longer play). My favourite album is "Secret Story" (especially the vinyl version), and the live concert from the tour is fabulous (also on DVD). I saw it at Wolverhampton Civic Hall in the early 90s and it remains one of my top 5 gigs ever - a phenomenal performance.

I have many Pat Metheny albums, but my favourite is the live album "The Road To You."

Already burned (no pun intended) "Letter from Home" to a CDR for playing at my cremation! :D

• Like 1

Just because I'm feeling something is missing...

( perhaps Metheny's greatest melody / art piece )

:)