Slightly Athletic

Living Voice alternatives....maybe

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 13:10, Slightly Athletic said:

Graham67, I'll check out the Tannoy stuff. I did check out an upgraded Canterbury thread but wasn't cheap. To be honest a lot of their older stuff doesn't visually float my boat. I know it shouldn't matter ... But it does for me.

Ah yes, big Tannoys are not exactly sleek to put it mildly, however it is not very easy hiding a 15" driver.  Fortunately I like my speakers brown and boxy so aesthetically they present no problems ;-) . 

Perhaps one way to look at any change from your LV speakers which are fine things is exactly that - a change, not necessarily an upgrade. So you should first identify what it is that you think you are missing at the moment while also identifying the areas that have made you hang onto the LV speakers for so long.  Those that are not so important are where you can make some compromises as no speaker is going to do it all.

Like you I had LV OBX for 10 years and there is no doubt that my subsequent Tannoy and JBL speakers are inferior in some respects,  However they are very strong in areas the LV were lacking and better suit my musical tastes so to me they are 'better'.  However I suspect many other people would prefer the LVs to relics from the 1970s!

Super Wammer

Depending upon individual taste of music. amps and acoustic properties of the listening room, the speakers that I have most enjoyed have been the Audio Note AN/J and favorites being the AN/E SEC Sig. Before them I had the AN/E SPE/HE where SPE is the internal silver wiring (possibly silver voice coils in the upper models) and HE is High Efficiency usually hemp cones.

I have no desire to change the speakers at any time but still trying out vintage models like the lower efficiency Celef PE-1, Lentek S5 and JR-149 MK2's and they still make nice enjoyable sounds but require more power to drive them. I am interested in trying some Living Voice speakers so could take my standard spec Audio Note AN/J's to a bake off in the future if that helped for comparison.

The golden rule is to get some speakers in to your room to try with your own ears.

I have heard AN and LV speakers sound wonderful but neither have seemed to like being pressed in to action when fed by some of my musical tastes; funk and hip-hop particularly spring to mind.

A bakeoff would be my suggestion.

Edited by lordmortlock

3 hours ago, voyduser said:

I too am looking for alternatives to my old LV Auditoriums and these look very nice but I've not heard of them before - how did you come by them?

Blind luck!

Saw them on audiomarkt, looked amazing, bought them unheard, got lucky, they are amazing. 

Could've so easily gone the other way ...

Edited by lordmortlock

Well if you can think out of the box ....... I would certainly give the ..Mummy Horn Speakers a go , .....ive heard wammer lee henleys a few times now and they do nothing wrong

and everything right....... great bass , smooth top end and his room size is the same as yours and they sound great on all types of music,

93 db efficient , great with or without valves........ not many have heard them , but once you have , you ll be smitten.

imo of course , we all like different presentations.............but worth checking out with greg at g.point audio , , may well get a demo , on loan.

hes very accomadating.

12 hours ago, lordmortlock said:

Blind luck!

Saw them on audiomarkt, looked amazing, bought them unheard, got lucky, they are amazing. 

Could've so easily gone the other way ...

So the gamble paid off - nice one. I wonder if anyone sells them in the UK as would be good to get a listen. I've been toying with replacing my LVs for some time but then sometimes I listen late at night, when the valves are nicely warmed up, spin some vinyl and the speakers completely disappear, so maybe I don't need to replace them at all. 

Have a look at the Heco Direkt, should be within your budget.

I bought a pair last year and am really pleased with them, my room is slightly smaller than yours ( 13 x 11 ), so no problem there.

I had them on an extended audition as I was not sure they would work in my room, I couldn't be happier.

Gonna respond to a couple of the replies, but thanks to everyone for their input so far.

Colin123 - Did you have LV's before?

Deggie - Those Mummy's look tasty. My only reservation is that I've found Horns to a bit forward but maybe I haven't listened to the right set up. Another concern .. Is my room quite big enough. Love the looks though.

Jake - those Odeons do look intriguing, I've even started checking out the Midas.

Bourney - The La Scalas must have grown on you as I thought you were a little uncertain. Probably a little time for adjustment did the trick.

Audionote guys - I know they're good but on a number of occasions I've heard that they can vary quite a lot between pairs. This has put me off in the past..... How do you know if you've got a good/ not so good set.

To everyone - Even though a bake off is a decent idea & I could provide a tart for everyone ...easy boys ..... The logistics of my listening room is not people friendly so I'm not gonna host one. I could ask to go to others' & that would give me an idea but I'm a believer in hearing speakers in the environment & system that you normally use.

I accept that leaves me with home demos or trial & terror! but I'll have to live with that. I asked for positive opinions after LV's in the hope of finding a shortlist & all your feedback is certainly hindering sorry helping. Good stuff Wammers.

I would recommend trialing a pair of ProAc Studio SM100's with good quality, high-mass stands. They should work well with your Graaf amplification and be well suited to your room dimensions.

Check out what Deco Audio have to say about them (scroll down) at their web site: http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_speakers1.html#SM100

Edited by marlew

Thanks Marlew, I might be mistaken but aren't they a monitor? If yes I'd prefer not to go down that route. I would also like to stick with floorstanders. I've enjoyed the 'accuracy' of stand mounts ( I still have some Sonus Fabers) but the LV's do this well & also bring great midrange & good sound scale. Have you used LV's before?

11 hours ago, Slightly Athletic said:

Gonna respond to a couple of the replies, but thanks to everyone for their input so far.

Colin123 - Did you have LV's before?

Deggie - Those Mummy's look tasty. My only reservation is that I've found Horns to a bit forward but maybe I haven't listened to the right set up. Another concern .. Is my room quite big enough. Love the looks though.

Jake - those Odeons do look intriguing, I've even started checking out the Midas.

Bourney - The La Scalas must have grown on you as I thought you were a little uncertain. Probably a little time for adjustment did the trick.

Audionote guys - I know they're good but on a number of occasions I've heard that they can vary quite a lot between pairs. This has put me off in the past..... How do you know if you've got a good/ not so good set.

To everyone - Even though a bake off is a decent idea & I could provide a tart for everyone ...easy boys ..... The logistics of my listening room is not people friendly so I'm not gonna host one. I could ask to go to others' & that would give me an idea but I'm a believer in hearing speakers in the environment & system that you normally use.

I accept that leaves me with home demos or trial & terror! but I'll have to live with that. I asked for positive opinions after LV's in the hope of finding a shortlist & all your feedback is certainly hindering sorry helping. Good stuff Wammers.

No Slightly Athletic, I've never owned LV speakers. I have heard them in dealers and at shows, liked them but never enough to buy.

Many years ago, mid 80's, I had a pair of Snell J11's with an Audio Innovations amp which was a lovely combination, then moved into a much larger house and bought some Martin Logan SL3's and a monster Musical Fidelity amp, they gave me a lot of pleasure.

I've since moved into a smaller house and returned to valves and am truly amazed at how well the Heco's work in a relatively small room, I have them 15inches from the wall.

Prior to buying them I read some glowing reviews of them, then went to Whittlebury where I heard two pairs playing and decided I must try them in my own home, it was love at first hearing, I urge you to have a listen to a pair.

Thanks Colin. I had mistakenly thought the Direkt were the stand mounts:oops:. Your high recommendation will certainly be taken into account, especially as I presume you're driving them with the puresound valves. I'll get some research in.

I have no experience of LV, to compare, but if you are after sensitive speakers, how about something from the Klipsch Heritage line?  I love my Cornwall  IIIs, about £4K new but deals can be found.  Very happy playing both with  my 23w DNM PA3s and with a pair of 8w AN PZeros

If I was buying again I'd be tempted to go for a pair of Crites Cornscalas at (I think) less than $2k new, downside  is that I guess you'd have to arrange shipping from the States and finish off yourself.  Can also be bought in kit form 

Both are  big speakers of course.

to the OP, as some guys above have made their recommendations, I also urge you to try (and go for) the AN-Js rather than the Es 9_9 > the Js are the more versatile in terms of musical genres (yes, they can and do rock'n'roll :love: - provided there's enough juice behind them, which your Graafs /having once owned the amazing Venticinque/ must be able to supply) , they are quicker (have better PRaT, as the naimities would say ;-)), and the room's size looks much better suited to them as compared to the Es. good luck, mate :^