Audio Research

vintageaxeman

22 hours ago, Jules_S said:

And therein lies the dilemma, indeed I would still have the Gato and be loving it. However that doesn't stop me wondering "what if...." - to be truthful I've little to no experience of a number of the big name brands including ARC, and I can't help thinking that perhaps (not definitely) I could do better.

I should really take my own advice - I've just posted in Dom's thread about his ATCs saying that sometimes it can be about the best compromise that makes you happy, rather than constantly chasing perfection. Still doesn't stop me wondering though!

If only there was budget to indulge both amps...

Having suggested you get another Gato - I am going to contradict myself and suggest you consider this:

23 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

Having suggested you get another Gato - I am going to contradict myself and suggest you consider this:

It’s more laid back than an ARC though. I heard one at a dealer. Very nice if it’s your thing. 

51 minutes ago, DomT said:

It’s more laid back than an ARC though. I heard one at a dealer. Very nice if it’s your thing. 

I think it ticks some of the boxes - something different; something mixing valves with solid state; something smooth, without being dull; something aesthetically cool; something musically communicative. It would sound richer than the Gato.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

It's an absolute beauty without doubt. Visually, a winner. Sonically - from what you've said and from other opinions I've taken, that smooth, rich sound might be a bit much with my speakers / room. I'd be concerned that it would end up sounding rather dull, rather than relaxed.

Plus I have a fat repair bill for the car to deal with right now, so not in the market right at this moment. I'm trying to do some homework for the short to mid term, when I will be looking in earnest. Will certainly give the Pathos some consideration though when I'm ready, assuming there's one for sale at that moment.

It would seem that both the ARC options I mentioned are like hen's teeth over here in the UK. Might have to be something that I grab in the future as and when one crops up for sale

19 minutes ago, Jules_S said:

It's an absolute beauty without doubt. Visually, a winner. Sonically - from what you've said and from other opinions I've taken, that smooth, rich sound might be a bit much with my speakers / room. I'd be concerned that it would end up sounding rather dull, rather than relaxed.

Remember, everything is comparative - so compared to Arc, it may be laid back. FWIW. I find the Gato refined and not that forceful ie. It doesn't throw the music at you, or be too "in yer face".

https://www.whathifi.com/pathos/logos-mk-ii/review

"Listening to a range of tracks from The Temptations, Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson, we’re struck by the amplifier’s combination of insight, refinement and subtlety.

It really gets to the heart of a track, revealing the emotions involved with ease.

It doesn’t forget to have fun either. There’s plenty of get-up-and go, and a surprising degree of rhythmic precision.

It has us bopping along in quite an undignified manner to songs like Superstition and Papa Was A Rolling Stone – not a pretty sight, admittedly. Moving onto something grander such as Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture reveals the Lògos’s muscular side.

Such music highlights the amplifier’s scale and authority, and its composure when pushed hard during the piece’s savage crescendos.

We’re equally impressed by the Pathos’s dynamic punch and its forceful yet textured bass."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Remember, everything is comparative - so compared to Arc, it may be laid back. FWIW. I find the Gato refined and not that forceful ie. It doesn't throw the music at you, or be too "in yer face".

Agree with that - Gato is not an up-front or in-yer-face style of presentation. So if the Pathos is smoother than that, may not be the right match for me.

Anyway, the £600 (actually closer to £650) car repair bill isn't going away, so gets in the way of any potential current purchase (which is also why I've not snapped up a certain streamer in the classifieds). Darned automobiles! I fix one, then the other one breaks...

yes they are like hens teeth , ref 6 sell in hours as do ref 3 .   the 2 ls28 are sticking on ebay as seem maybe to be overpriced ??? oxford been trying to sell theirs for quite a while . 

Just now, Jules_S said:

Agree with that - Gato is not an up-front or in-yer-face style of presentation. So if the Pathos is smoother than that, may not be the right match for me.

Anyway, the £600 (actually closer to £650) car repair bill isn't going away, so gets in the way of any potential current purchase (which is also why I've not snapped up a certain streamer in the classifieds). Darned automobiles! I fix one, then the other one breaks...

yes i have many bills like that all the time so i know how you feel .... last week was 2,3k on a new boiler and many other costs . just makes you enjoy what you have and tweak it as much as you posibly can ....:D  i even got an arcam amp to sound damm good by tweaking it a lot. very impressive sound now with my horns [ the the modest money it cost ]   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jules_S said:

I'm not sure smoother is the right word....texturally richer, might be better.

IIRC @radiant red had one matched with Harbeth - so if I'm right, he should be able to tell you if it's likely to be "Too much of a good thing".

I don't think it's as smooth and laid back as you are imagining.

3 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

I'm not sure smoother is the right word....texturally richer, might be better.

IIRC @radiant red had one matched with Harbeth - so if I'm right, he should be able to tell you if it's likely to be "Too much of a good thing".

I don't think it's as smooth and laid back as you are imagining.

The Pathos was and is a superb amp with lots of detail but without fatigue in any area. Lots of stepped power available and although the volume pot goes to 90, I ran it a few times at 80 with absolutely no break up of audio quality, quite an achievement in my book. One of the best class A/B Amps I’ve owned with hybrid technology to add to the party. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, radiant red said:

The Pathos was and is a superb amp with lots of detail but without fatigue in any area. Lots of stepped power available and although the volume pot goes to 90, I ran it a few times at 80 with absolutely no break up of audio quality, quite an achievement in my book. One of the best class A/B Amps I’ve owned with hybrid technology to add to the party. 

Did you feel it was too smooth and laid back with your Harbeths, as I think that is the worry of Jules_S when matched with his Q Acoustics.

I recommended it as I felt it would work well, but am not as familiar with it as you. I can confidently talk about the Gato, as I own it...but not so much with the Pathos.

3 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Did you feel it was too smooth and laid back with your Harbeths, as I think that is the worry of Jules_S when matched with his Q Acoustics.

I recommended it as I felt it would work well, but am not as familiar with it as you. I can confidently talk about the Gato, as I own it...but not so much with the Pathos.

I’ll be honest, it made the Luxman 507 sound average on the Harbeths. Definitely not laid back. It’s fore sale again on here due to the owner going all valve (I understand why) but for me, it would have stayed had it not been for playing with a pre/power and my class A. The Pathos is just a decent all round amp with no obvious flaws

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I’ll be honest, it made the Luxman 507 sound average on the Harbeths. Definitely not laid back. It’s fore sale again on here due to the owner going all valve (I understand why) but for me, it would have stayed had it not been for playing with a pre/power and my class A. The Pathos is just a decent all round amp with no obvious flaws

That's great - and very much confirms my thinking.

• Like 1

Not best pleased to read that ARC have discontinued their CD players, especially as I have a CD9. Hope they kept spares back should the transport give problems but given its a Philips pro - hopefully not.

Their gear is getting too expensive these days and I reckon you can get the same quality sound for less. Probably a lot less.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monya said:

Not best pleased to read that ARC have discontinued their CD players, especially as I have a CD9. Hope they kept spares back should the transport give problems but given its a Philips pro - hopefully not.

Their gear is getting too expensive these days and I reckon you can get the same quality sound for less. Probably a lot less.

I imagine that their biggest issue will be to get enough premium bits to justify a top of the range product. Pretty much everything else on the market is using cheap computer drives. I wonder if they have plans to move to streaming. They wouldn’t be the first to decide that spinners and streamers can’t co-exist in the same product lineup. You might even argue they are reacting rather late to all of this!