Spider

Settings on phono stage

Hi Guys

Looking for advice and help.

Just introduced a new phono stage to my system, it has dip switches on the back and they are confusing me a bit.

I'm going to be using a Ortofon Quintet Black with it or maybe an MM cart but I think that should be easier to work out.  Black spec below:

Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 0.3 mV

Tracking force range - 2.1-2.5 g (21-25 mN)
Tracking angle - 20°
Internal impedance, DC resistance - 5 Ohm
Recommended load impedance - > 20 Ohm

Here is a photo of the page from the manual, and the table of with options, which dip switches should I have on or off?

I have been using low setting for MC cart as it has quite a bit of gain so low seems to be sensible setting.

Engl_383MKII.jpg

Edited by Spider

Super Wammer

I knew there was a reason I used a transformer when i had a moving coil :) .. Serge will answer I'm sure ...

Your Ortofon Quintet Black is a low output MC cartridge, so use the bottom row of numbers. 

As the cartridge has a low 5 ohms resistance, and although they claim it will work at anything over 20 ohms,I prefer to load MCs with at least 10x their resistance, so a minimum of 50 ohms. The second or third switch from the left selects either 118 ohms or 250 ohms, and either should be fine. My preference would be for 250 ohms, but there's no technical reason for this, just that it's a nice round number!

If you're of a fiddling mentality, try all the settings and see which you prefer, or even if you can hear any difference.

MC cartridges are almost completely immune to the effects of capacitance, so any setting on the capacitance switch will be fine. I would select the lowest, again for no better reason than it's a nice round number.

MMs are rather more complicated, and here it depends on the cartridge, and the capacitance of the arm and phono cables. All cartridges nominally are rated for 47kohm, but with varying amounts of capacitance, but some cartridges work best i.e. have the flattest frequency response if the resistive load is changed from 47k, and combined with the right amount of capacitance. The only way to set up a MM objectively, is with a frequency response test record, some measuring kit, and a LOT of patience.   Alternatively, start with 47k and no added capacitance, and keep increasing the capacitance until it sounds best to you. If you really want to be anal about it, then do the same tests at the other two resistances, 27k and 100k. Note that the impedance shouldn't be changed with the stage powered, so that's a lot of switching on and off.

I guarantee that whatever record you use for these tests, you'll never ever want to hear it again!

S.

• Upvote 1