USB cable delay on playback

westlower44

I have a play back delay problem using a USB Cable on Rpi3..
I have cheaper USB that plays with 4 seconds between tracks. 
When i try the 'Posh' expensive USB cable (here on demo),
it turns into 30 + seconds between tracks! (sounds better though!)17428.gif

I am using Rpi3 to USB/SPDif converter to a DAC. Picoreplayer and LSM.
Squeezebox app on iPad/iphone to control..
Any thoughts??

Adam, a bit more info might help,  names of cable and converter and dac.

Where are the tracks stored that you are playing.

Are the cables usb2 certified?

Ronnie

Edited by Man in a van

I have rPi 3 IQAudio DAC+ and HD feeding via USB with Moode player - no problem

19 minutes ago, whatsnext said:

I have rPi 3 IQAudio DAC+ and HD feeding via USB with Moode player - no problem

No problem for me with Moode or LMS or bubbleup and play from the NAS minim thing.

It's the four second delay  "between" tracks that puzzles me, niet normal!:S

The cables... one was an off the shelf SUPRA 2
the other problem is a custom made silver job.

The Delay of 4 seconds may well be down to settings in picoreplayer or LMS??

Ron

and longer with the posh cable. Usually other way round. Perhaps Marco will sort him on AoS

1 hour ago, westlower44 said:

The cables... one was an off the shelf SUPRA 2
the other problem is a custom made silver job.

The Delay of 4 seconds may well be down to settings in picoreplayer or LMS??

Adam. no problem with the Supra- they meet the speciification I believe (and I use them myself, without problemo).

Silver jobbie? Your money, your ears, you decide.

Default LMS and pcp have no delay ( I'm not a "settings" maven so it might well be possible to enable some such in either but I have never heard of it (don't mean it don't exist, of coarse).

Four second and twenty second delay between tracks? Even when playback is from ram the latency is continuous so unless the deleay is in the original recording I have no idea  (as in wtf?) is going on.

If you are using LMS on the pcp i would suggest a new image and try again.

Maybe the "other place" will come up trumps, I'll be interested in the answer.

Ronnie

2 hours ago, whatsnext said:

Ron

and longer with the posh cable. Usually other way round. Perhaps Marco will sort him on AoS

This is one of the problems with an OP posting on two different forums.

Some info here, some info there and not all the info anywhere, the word bollocks comes to mind, no offence intended, imho an' all that.:doh:

Ron... thanks..

Bollocks? ...Double Bollocks! !

Apologies if I have caused confusion..

didn't think much about posting on here and AoS, figured different folk may have different ideas..

The general feedback i'm getting, is the Silver Posh Cable is unscreened and picking up some interference...

not sure myself..

The 4 second delay on the Supra isn't a great issue.. But i'd prob like it gone.

It counts off the track to 2 seconds  starts to 'play' but no music, then bounces the counter back to 0 again and when it gets to 2 seconds again it starts to play music....

7 minutes ago, westlower44 said:

Ron... thanks..

Bollocks? ...Double Bollocks! !

Apologies if I have caused confusion..

didn't think much about posting on here and AoS, figured different folk may have different ideas..

The general feedback i'm getting, is the Silver Posh Cable is unscreened and picking up some interference...

not sure myself..

The 4 second delay on the Supra isn't a great issue.. But i'd prob like it gone.

It counts off the track to 2 seconds  starts to 'play' but no music, then bounces the counter back to 0 again and when it gets to 2 seconds again it starts to play music....

See, this is what I mean by info, what you describe is not a "4second gap between tracks" although it is lol.

which version of LMS are you running on the Synology?

As a work around, either install LMS v7.9 nightly on a computer and use that, or,  as hinted elseware, format the card, put it in the pi, eaxpand the file system and instal LMS on the pi. With pcp you can configure the Squeezelite page to use the LMS on the pi, so you don't get confuse which one you are using as source. Point the LMS on pcp at your files on the nas. Also on the Squeezelite page of pcp, after selecting usb and restarting/rebooting, click on the "more" button and see what other options are given for the usb/spidif.

which usb spdif are you using? ( not all are equal)

Ron, thanks for that, I'm currently running Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 on the NAS

The USB/Spdif converter is by SW1X 

http://sw1xad.co.uk/product/usb-1/

would you suggest a new SD card and fesh install with that LMS

Well, try this first.
On the pcp Squeezelite page go to here and look at what options (2 channel) are on offer and try each turn by turn.
This is what it looks like

58c3352b8f3a3_mydacpcp.thumb.png.aec3c18d925c1798201b559f028c826b.png

a few thoughts,
is it possible to connect to your dac (what is it) direct from the pi?
do you have a suitable cable or (headphones) to connect to the analogue output on the pi?
What I am suggesting is a method to remove the converter from the setup and verify the correct working of pcp.
are you trying to play any hi res files?

Two things matter with USB. Firstly it meets the performance specs required of USB. Secondly that it is no longer than absolutely required. That will account for 99% of its performance. If by trying to access that final 1% of its performance with exotic materials etc you impact on the 99% base line you have pretty much wasted your money, so it is a good job it is only on loan! I'll also point out that I am not having a go. I use a Singxer SU-1 to do my USB management. The lead I use is around 25cm long and I think it came with an iFi iUSB I bought a while back. It is shielded and well made and is better than shorter cables sourced on eBay from China. Output is i2s over HDMI. Source is an Odroid C2 running DietPi and RoonBridge. 

1 hour ago, Cable Monkey said:

Two things matter with USB. Firstly it meets the performance specs required of USB. Secondly that it is no longer than absolutely required. That will account for 99% of its performance. If by trying to access that final 1% of its performance with exotic materials etc you impact on the 99% base line you have pretty much wasted your money, so it is a good job it is only on loan! I'll also point out that I am not having a go. I use a Singxer SU-1 to do my USB management. The lead I use is around 25cm long and I think it came with an iFi iUSB I bought a while back. It is shielded and well made and is better than shorter cables sourced on eBay from China. Output is i2s over HDMI. Source is an Odroid C2 running DietPi and RoonBridge. 

I have to say that I currently use a five metre bog standard usb2 cable from Imac to dac without any problems whatsoever.

With regard to the OP, my gut feeling is, that the culprit is the converter being used.

Ronnie