I agree the cabinet design having no right-angles (for valid sonic reasons) makes it difficult to judge by eye if they are level, but I would be very surprised if they have been built with unequally curved sides.

In these days of precision CNC machining I question that a reputable high-end HiFi manufacturer like Gato would allow that past their quality control. The build quality and finish of mine are superb so it seems hard to believe.

Although they were second-hand, I understand you got them direct from Gato, so could you not get them replaced under the extended warranty if you think they are really not built correctly?

... and your Amstrad comparison is a bit bizarre - I thought they only made  home computers?

A quick update, having added an Auralic Vega G2 as the new front-end for my Amp 150 and Focal 1028bes. It makes for a great step up from my already capable original Vega. More soundstage depth, detail and general ease to the sound. It’s also as though I’ve added a subwoofer with the increased bass weight and punch. Just goes to show how much headroom the Gato amp has for upgrades elsewhere in the chain. 

The only problem I now face is, with the Vega G2 having an inbuilt passive pre-amp, I’m now finding myself wondering what some of the Gato monoblocs would sound partnered with it and not sure how long it might be before I give into temptation…

On 06/09/2021 at 17:07, picknight said:

I agree the cabinet design having no right-angles (for valid sonic reasons) makes it difficult to judge by eye if they are level, but I would be very surprised if they have been built with unequally curved sides.

In these days of precision CNC machining I question that a reputable high-end HiFi manufacturer like Gato would allow that past their quality control. The build quality and finish of mine are superb so it seems hard to believe.

Although they were second-hand, I understand you got them direct from Gato, so could you not get them replaced under the extended warranty if you think they are really not built correctly?

... and your Amstrad comparison is a bit bizarre - I thought they only made  home computers?

Amstrad made cheap hifi for currys, , as well as computers, yes i did buy them direct, sending them back would cost a lot , i am going to ask them to change them this month , with in the 5 year warranty , i have put a 1meter lenght level on the  sides, they are out by about 1/4 inch , not a lot but it is something her in doors has a moan about the spekers are drunk ,

pete

Edited by gwernaffield

On 03/09/2021 at 17:41, Cootie said:

I’m going to have to try and have a listen to some. Very curious as to how they’d stack up against my Focal 1028bes, given how impressed I’ve been with my amp. 

I only went in to buy a couple of valves but was enthused with the sounds from those beautiful speakers...
Let's see how they compare with Audio Physic. 

17 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

I only went in to buy a couple of valves but was enthused with the sounds from those beautiful speakers...
Let's see how they compare with Audio Physic. 

Will be interested in your thoughts on the Gato speaker vs the Audio Physics

• 2 weeks later...

anyone have the sky box connected to a Gato amp?

Is it even possible?

4 hours ago, falcoron said:

anyone have the sky box connected to a Gato amp?

Is it even possible?

Hi there. Assuming you’re meaning the 250/400 with integrated DAC, via digital, rather than the Amp 150 via analogue?

Should be possible via toslink, albeit sometimes TVs and digiboxes can have pretty crappy digital outputs that some DACs have trouble locking onto. 

I've had a Phase-It speaker driver polarity checker for over a decade, bought when Gato was still a DIY components store. :D (edit: and it still works)

phase-it_persp1_grey_1.jpg

Edited by tuga

Cootie, 

I can’t speak for a sky box , however I have managed to link my Samsung tv to my gato 250s via an optical cable. However to overcome jittering I had to use a good optical cable -I’m using the audioquest carbon which works better than  the Russ Andrews one which I started out with. 
good luck 

• Upvote 1

Been a while since I've posted on here due to a house induced hifi hiatus.

However I'm now the proud owner of a DIA-250S NPM (many thanks@robbie010)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, paulbfd said:

Been a while since I've posted on here due to a house induced hifi hiatus.

However I'm now the proud owner of a DIA-250S NPM (many thanks@robbie010)

I hope it works well for you, Paul........ are you sure I can't tempt you with some lovely Harbeth's to go with it..... 😜